The Student Room Group

Renting on Benefits

I’m 22 and female . I have a long term disability meaning I can’t work and I am claiming PIP and Universal credit and have been doing so for the past few years . I have parents who are emotionally abusive to me (think blackmail, gaslighting , guilt tripping, sexist, silent treatment etc) and who also fight violently amongst themselves which has been going on for 15 years .

Throughout my life I have tried on numerous occasions (unsuccessful) to leave home. When I was 14 and 16 I tried social services . They investigated and put me in a hotel as I was too old for care then they sent me back home as there wasn’t enough evidence of them emotionally abusing me (as emotional abuse is hard to prove compared to physical) .

Fast forward to 21, I tried to leave again first living at my boyfriends until his grandparents made me feel unwelcome so I left and approached the council. The council sent me to Supported housing . The supported housing was alright for the first two months until I discovered I had a violent neighbours who did drugs all around me and there was a fire at the flat block I lived in, after two months of hell I gave up and handed in my licence.

My parents were nice to me when I came back but like always it didn’t last and it reverted back to emotional abuse and silent treatment . No domestic abuse has happened between them since I’ve come back . I approached several estate agents for flats and they’ve all turned me down saying they don’t accept people on benefits or that aren’t in full time work.

What I’m trying to say is that on the very low chance a landlord accepts me as I am non working on UC and benefits alone, what happens after that? Is the credit check different as your not working? Has anyone ever been accepted on DSS in the private rent sector? I don’t plan on giving up on trying as it’s my quickest way out (it’s that or wait 10 years for a council house that I might not get it all gets given to the single mums and families . Unless I suddenly impregnated myself and gave birth to a child I won’t be getting any thumb anytime soon and that’s not a option with my condition I can’t work let alone raise children) . Anyone with any advice or experience as a tenant on benefits that can tell me what the process is like would be a great help thanks
Original post by Anonymous
I’m 22 and female . I have a long term disability meaning I can’t work and I am claiming PIP and Universal credit and have been doing so for the past few years . I have parents who are emotionally abusive to me (think blackmail, gaslighting , guilt tripping, sexist, silent treatment etc) and who also fight violently amongst themselves which has been going on for 15 years .

Throughout my life I have tried on numerous occasions (unsuccessful) to leave home. When I was 14 and 16 I tried social services . They investigated and put me in a hotel as I was too old for care then they sent me back home as there wasn’t enough evidence of them emotionally abusing me (as emotional abuse is hard to prove compared to physical) .

Fast forward to 21, I tried to leave again first living at my boyfriends until his grandparents made me feel unwelcome so I left and approached the council. The council sent me to Supported housing . The supported housing was alright for the first two months until I discovered I had a violent neighbours who did drugs all around me and there was a fire at the flat block I lived in, after two months of hell I gave up and handed in my licence.

My parents were nice to me when I came back but like always it didn’t last and it reverted back to emotional abuse and silent treatment . No domestic abuse has happened between them since I’ve come back . I approached several estate agents for flats and they’ve all turned me down saying they don’t accept people on benefits or that aren’t in full time work.

What I’m trying to say is that on the very low chance a landlord accepts me as I am non working on UC and benefits alone, what happens after that? Is the credit check different as your not working? Has anyone ever been accepted on DSS in the private rent sector? I don’t plan on giving up on trying as it’s my quickest way out (it’s that or wait 10 years for a council house that I might not get it all gets given to the single mums and families . Unless I suddenly impregnated myself and gave birth to a child I won’t be getting any thumb anytime soon and that’s not a option with my condition I can’t work let alone raise children) . Anyone with any advice or experience as a tenant on benefits that can tell me what the process is like would be a great help thanks

Have you been in contact with Shelter? They have a "How to find landlords who accept benefits" page here, which you might find very useful.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Have you been in contact with Shelter? They have a "How to find landlords who accept benefits" page here, which you might find very useful.

No I’ve not spoken to shelter . What do you think they will do if I spoke to them ? Will they give me a home ?
No I’ve not spoken to shelter . What do you think they will do if I spoke to them ? Will they give me a home ?

No. They will help you find a home where the landlord will accept tenants on benefits.

Please read the information at the link I provided. It contains lots of information about how to find landlords who accept tenants on benefits.

I think they provide you a lot of support. Would you be able to afford the sky high rents in your current situation?
Hi, I’m in a similar position but older with history of dv & ended up homeless on the street. I would keep a record of issues/abuse with your parents & phone the domestic abuse line, go to the women’s centre or any other day Centre. I would put yourself on the council list definitely. The council have a duty to safeguard you. They did house you before. Also see if can do courses even if free- OU/coursera/Future learn. This may help with landlords but council housing officers & any other agencies should help you. Good luck. Pray as well helps me. 🙏💐
Hi, I’m in a similar position but older with history of dv & ended up homeless on the street. I would keep a record of issues/abuse with your parents & phone the domestic abuse line, go to the women’s centre or any other day Centre. I would put yourself on the council list definitely. The council have a duty to safeguard you. They did house you before. Also see if can do courses even if free- OU/coursera/Future learn. This may help with landlords but council housing officers & any other agencies should help you. Good luck. Pray as well helps me. 🙏💐

are you ok now? Sounds so tough.
Thanks I’m ok.
Reply 8
Original post by DataVenia
No. They will help you find a home where the landlord will accept tenants on benefits.

Please read the information at the link I provided. It contains lots of information about how to find landlords who accept tenants on benefits.

Ah ok I did and it yh I’ve read it there’s links to websites like spare room and DSS accepting landlords . Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by Kutie Karen
I think they provide you a lot of support. Would you be able to afford the sky high rents in your current situation?

Yes if I get part of my rent paid by UC as part of local housing allowance in my area then combine it with the benefits I’m getting I can get a small flat to myself, but the issue the landlord or estate agent won’t take me cos I don’t work full time
Reply 10

Really ? That’s bad . Are you a DV victim ? I’m suprised that the council didn’t give you emergency housing as domestic abuse automatically qualifies for it or even top priority for council housing or even getting a place in a refuge . I hope your alright now . Yh I am like I said I’ve applied for council housing but they said I wasn’t priority due to no kids and my disability wasn’t severe enough for them to place me as priority so I have to wait 10 years to get a home but even then it’s not guaranteed. Emergency housing such as hotel and b and b I don’t qualify as I’m not a victim of physical abuse or pregnant with young children or homeless 16/17 unlike when social services helped me when I first tried to leave home .

Yh the council did help me by putting me in this shithole dump full of crime and drugs with violent neighbours and a fire that was caused by anti social behaviour downstairs . Great help that was . Honestly even the street was better at that point with all the **** that goes down in there . Literally police were called there several times a week while I was living there due to all the **** that went on. Proper bando it was . Thanks for replying though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending