The Student Room Group

Wjec Psychology PY3 & PY4 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lauren1x12
Nooo don't say that there my worst ones! :wink:
I'm hoping for ways of dealing and animals in research! :smile:

My favourite are the ethical issues in humans and dealing with ethics in humans :smile: i'm praying they come up!!! :biggrin:
What are the strengths/weaknesses of interval/ ordinal/ ratio/ nominal data?

Also, what could possible issues with reliability /validity be?
Original post by WannaGetAnA
I made the exact same predictions :biggrin:

hopefully they'll come up then
Original post by WannaGetAnA
What are the strengths/weaknesses of interval/ ordinal/ ratio/ nominal data?

Also, what could possible issues with reliability /validity be?

interval--they are measured using units of equal measurement thus have equal intervals meaning measurement is more precise

Ratio--same as above but has ratio has true zero whereas interval doesn't

ordinal-- can easily be analysed as they are in rank order e.g. you can easily apply measures or dispersion and central tendencies

nominal-- they are easy to use---
---they are not detailed as ordinal

Generally you can you the Ads of one as Disads of the other (vice versa).

Issue with reliability, lack of internal reliability e.g. the method used should be measuring the same thing. can be dealt with split half method here e.g. persons performance is compared on two halves of a questionnaire.....

may also lack external reliability---is it consistent measurement? test retest method is used to deal with this--and inter-interviewer reliability is also used where two+ interviewers compare their results

Issue with validity--can be lack of reliability as if not reliable a research cannot be valid...

is the researcher measuring what he/she intend to measure?

the effect of EVs and CVs--demand characteristics affect internal validity

Control environment in lab exp can lead to low ecological/external validity as it is artificial environment. thus less mundane realism
(edited 9 years ago)
How did everyone find it? I generally have to say I was pleased with that exam :biggrin: I was so worried I wouldn't finish but i managed to finish 3 minutes before the end! So pleased with what essays came up too xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
It wasn't an awful exam I have to admit, a couple of the questions I had a mind blank on but I really liked the essays that came up so even if I dropped some silly marks in sections A & B my two essays might have made up for it! :biggrin:
I'm generally happy with how it went, perfect essay questions and good research methods questions too, just struggled with timing, so was very rushed to finish, finishing with around 15 seconds left of the 90 mins! But apart from that and the undoubtable illegibility of my handwriting it went good :biggrin: Even though I can barely remember the questions or the answers I used for the research methods :confused:
I predicted the 3 essays so i'm so happy and yeah on the whole v happy :biggrin:
Reply 588
I thought it was really good exam paper, the essay questions were the ones that I wanted so I'm really pleased! Will really take the pressure off PY4!
The paper? Couldn't have been better....but me?---I think I screwed it up-----I predicted all the questions and I was glad to see them on the paper and I chose to do ethical with humans and Ways of dealing-----I think I muddled up the ethical with humans because instead of discussing just the ethical issues, I was also talking about ways of dealing :/ and I used exactly the same example studies for both questions (I spent 35 minutes on the ethical issues with human ptts cuz I got mixed up with ways of dealing and panicked! and I had to plan my WOD answer carefully. I only had 40 Minutes to do section A and B so I rushed them and left 1 or two questions at the end of Section B.

:/....does anyone remember the questions on Section A and B or if anyone has the paper please send me?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 590
Original post by dont leave blank
The paper? Couldn't have been better....but me?---I think I screwed it up-----I predicted all the questions and I was glad to see them on the paper and I chose to do ethical with humans and Ways of dealing-----I think I muddled up the ethical with humans because instead of discussing just the ethical issues, I was also talking about ways of dealing :/ and I used exactly the same example studies for both questions (I spent 35 minutes on the ethical issues with human ptts cuz I got mixed up with ways of dealing and panicked! and I had to plan my WOD answer carefully. I only had 40 Minutes to do section A and B so I rushed them and left 1 or two questions at the end of Section B.

:/....does anyone remember the questions on Section A and B or if anyone has the paper please send me?

I think overcoming ethical issues and ethical issues in human studies do overlap slightly, though? I did human ethics and non-human ethics but for the human ethics one I did talk briefly about how the ethics can be balanced, but not extensively, only a line or two. I'm sure you'll get some marks for what you've written!
(edited 9 years ago)
Happy with the essays:biggrin: there was some difficult questions in the section A/B which I probably spent too much time doing :s-smilie:
What did everyone put for the 5% question I was kinda stuck on that one? :smile:
Reply 593
Original post by lauren1x12
What did everyone put for the 5% question I was kinda stuck on that one? :smile:

I put that in psychological research, a 5% chance that the results were due to chance is accepted and the results are statistically significant. If it is over 5%, the null hypothesis is accepted and the experimental hypothesis rejected.
Original post by em2014
I think overcoming ethical issues and ethical issues in human studies do overlap slightly, though? I did human ethics and non-human ethics but for the human ethics one I did talk briefly about how the ethics can be balanced, but not extensively, only a line or two. I'm sure you'll get some marks for what you've written!

Hopefully, :u:
Original post by em2014
I put that in psychological research, a 5% chance that the results were due to chance is accepted and the results are statistically significant. If it is over 5%, the null hypothesis is accepted and the experimental hypothesis rejected.

What did the question exactly say?
Reply 596
Original post by dont leave blank
What did the question exactly say?

Something like 'What is meant by a 5% significance rate'. Or something like that... :smile:
Original post by em2014

Ohhhh I see, I can't even remember what I wrote something about 5% being a significant difference and thats it :s-smilie: ahhhh well
Original post by em2014

yeah I put pretty much identical to that :biggrin:
Can anyone remember any more of the questions which came up, or have managed to get a copy of the paper or anything :smile:? Think I repressed all knowledge of the PY3 paper as soon as it finished

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending