The Student Room Group

A-level psychology vs btec criminology

Hi I’m about to finalise my A-Level decisions but I am stuck between doing A-Level psychology or btec criminology. I don’t know which is easier or which is more broad as I’m not sure what career path I want to go down but thinking something medical. Taking this alongside A-Level Spanish and A-Level biology. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which is easier or better to take overall? Thank you
Reply 1
If you want the easier route, Criminology is the way to go because being a BTEC it's based on coursework and so more spread out. This is especially helpful if you don't love GCSE style exams as the testing system for BTEC is quite different. However, I take Psychology and it looks a lot better for medicine, and it's a really good subject if you work hard for it. Funnily enough I take French, Bio and Psych so we have quite similar options. Just keep in mind there's loads of case studies etc. Hope this helps a little.
Reply 2
Criminology is not an A level or a BTEC - its a daft WJEC 'Diploma' course and is a waste of time.

Its full of 'true crime' nonsense and no real social science theory - and as a result there are several Unis that will not accept. And honestly, if you have a brain you will find it excruciatingly boring.

Do A level Psychology instead - its a useful A level as most Unis will regard it as both a social science and a science subject. This could be important if you do head for 'something medical'.
Original post by ff005
If you want the easier route, Criminology is the way to go because being a BTEC it's based on coursework and so more spread out. This is especially helpful if you don't love GCSE style exams as the testing system for BTEC is quite different. However, I take Psychology and it looks a lot better for medicine, and it's a really good subject if you work hard for it. Funnily enough I take French, Bio and Psych so we have quite similar options. Just keep in mind there's loads of case studies etc. Hope this helps a little.

Thanks I do think I’ll enjoy psychology I just don’t want to chose it and regret my choice but I know I just have to try really hard in it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest