The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by atomicjellyfish
There's no point in putting UCL as your insurance (on ucas) as they have the same grade requirement - as in, you can apply to both, great, but if you get places from both then there's no point in firming oxford and then putting UCL as your insurance as you only go to your insurance if you miss your firm (which you wouldn't be able to do if they had the same grade requirement).

I thought about that. I mean, I never considered Oxford until it was suggested to me that I look into it. I do see the flaws in the plan, but they're only ideas for now. Thanks though
Original post by x__justmyluck
There's a big difference between the Oxford course and other medicine courses. At Oxford you do 3 pre-clinical years and get a BA degree (can't remember exactly what degree it is but similar to biomedical sciences). So if you want to meet patients early on and do the clinical side of medicine from the start then Oxford is not a good fit for you.

In terms of worrying that Oxford isn't for you because you come from a state school then please don't think that. The majority of Oxford students come from state schools, and tbh with most of my friends I don't know what sort of school they went to because it really doesn't matter. Please go to an open day, talk to some students and realise the vast majority of us are just nice, normal people.

Try your best in your GCSEs and don't stress about this yet. Then choose the course that is right for you, not the one at the fanciest university or the one other people want you to go to.

Thanks :smile: Also, about their medical course. I want to work in medicine development and testing, so I don't know if medicine is even right for me in the first place...
Original post by nexttime
Hmm don't like how you declare it isn't an issue suddenly. Just being interested in "anything medical" is not a reason to apply for medicine. If that's your only reason then apply for biomedical science or pharmacology or one of the many other medically-orientated degrees. The reason you apply to medicine is because you want to dedicate your life to being a doctor. You haven't mentioned anything about the career which makes me think you have not done even basic research yet. Which is fine - its early days - but it is something you need to do before you proceed further. Your work experience when you arrange it will tell you more about what the career is like.

Why? What experience of being a student at Oxbridge do you have? My guess its 'what i see on TV' which is totally wrong and inadequate. Did you know, for instance, that the majority of students are from state schools? Did you know that the percentage of private school students at UCL, your supposed not-posh alternative, is only a handful of percentage points behind Oxbridge and one of the very highest in the country (plus it'll be even higher for medicine)? If you're actually worried about going to school with private schooled people then you're going to need to go way, way down the league tables to avoid them, and certainly drop the thought of studying medicine!

The reality is that Oxford and Cambridge are fairly middle-class places, but so are all of the top unis, and in reality the few very rich people you'll meet (there will be some) are still nice, normal people who are a bit scared and looking to make friends like everyone else.

You should attend one of the events mentioned above by jneill (PRSOM) or at the very least the open days.

I went to a state comp and had a fantastic time at Oxford. Definitely recommended as an amazing place to study.

For like History etc yes, but if you are going for medicine the differences will be reduced. There are more important factors in applying to med school than that (course structure, teaching style etc. Once you've spent some time and found out whether you want to do medicine or not you can come back on TSR and find out more!

thanks, I'm just going with what I've been told at the moment. As for research into a medicine degree, no, I haven't done much, as I had been more pharmacology oriented before. Like i mentioned in a previous reply to someone else above, I want to work in medicine development and testing (at the moment anyway), so I don't even know if medicine is the right degree for me. I know I would enjoy it, which I guess the main bit is, but as for how useful it would be to help me get to where I want to be, I don't know. It's not like I've not thought about becoming a doctor. Again, I know I wouldn't hate it but I can definitely think of other things I want to be (right now). I would apply for it anyway if I was doing my UCAS stuff now, as I'm still unsure whether I want to go into a field like women's health or fetal development, because that interests me a lot too. I guess I can only wait and see.
Original post by SM6
Finish off your GCSE's first. There is no guarantee that you will get into Oxford with straight A*'s because a student had straight A*'s in GCSE's and A-Levels yet she got rejected by all of her choices. Bearing in mind, you also, have to get a really good score in BMAT.

Ahhh yes the BMAT. I looked at it not too long ago and it just seemed like a GCSE exam with slightly out of place questions to be honest. It definitely wasn't easy, but I got the style. Isn't there another exam some unis require upon application for medicine-related degrees?
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
All you're doing is doubting yourself, and to top it all off, you haven't even done your GCSEs.
Why don't you spend time doing them, instead of pondering over hypotheticals. It doesn't even matter what medical school you go to, as long as it's accredited by the GMC, so there's no reason for worrying about Oxbridge, other than for bolstering your ego. If it were for other subjects, then yes, Oxbridge would be advantageous, but for medicine, it isn't really the case. If you were planning a research career in medicine alongside practice, then yeah, it may do you some good, but really, that's to do with being a researcher, rather than a doctor.

Lastly, if you're concerned about Oxford being too socially different from what you're used to, then I don't think that's a hugely valid arguement. I know they have the highest private school intake, but the split between state and private is fairly even, so you should find plenty of people that have mutual backgrounds to you.

I do doubt myself a lot :dong: and yeah, I know I'm thinking about it early, but my school said they're signing us up to UCAS this year instead of the next...but I'm still gonna look around. Thank you
Original post by Abbie131
I want to work in medicine development and testing (at the moment anyway), so I don't even know if medicine is the right degree for me..

Whilst doctors do take part in the final tests, its is very much a footnote in the job - seeing and managing patients is what you train for and do most of the time. If that is what you are interested in then a degree with more lab time and research-focus would be better for you e.g. biomedical sciences (which Oxford also offer).
Original post by nexttime
Whilst doctors do take part in the final tests, its is very much a footnote in the job - seeing and managing patients is what you train for and do most of the time. If that is what you are interested in then a degree with more lab time and research-focus would be better for you e.g. biomedical sciences (which Oxford also offer).

I'll look into it, thank you. Biomedical science is something I have considered for a while, but I'll be happy in any medical-oriented degree I think. I guess I'll also have to look at league tables for that degree now :smile:
Ahhh yes the BMAT. I looked at it not too long ago and it just seemed like a GCSE exam with slightly out of place questions to be honest. It definitely wasn't easy, but I got the style. Isn't there another exam some unis require upon application for medicine-related degrees?

Different universities require UKCAT test.
I'll look into it, thank you. Biomedical science is something I have considered for a while, but I'll be happy in any medical-oriented degree I think. I guess I'll also have to look at league tables for that degree now :smile:

There is a huge difference between medicine and biomedical sciences. Just because they are both `medical-orientated´ they are not similar. Definitely organise some work experience in both fields. If you are thinking of going down the drug discovery route I´d consider doing some biomedical sciences degree, then going for a masters of PhD.
For now, focus on your GCSEs. Then, when you're in Y12, apply for every outreach scheme you can - Sutton Trust and the Shadowing Scheme at Cambridge are both really good. I'm currently a student at Cambridge (for languages) and came from a school that hadn't ever sent anyone to Oxbridge before.

When you get into sixth form, make the most of those opportunities, and definitely try to visit the uni too because you need to make sure the feel is right for you (for example, just within colleges in Cambridge, some I just hated for no reason upon walking in there). If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Also check out #CambTweet @cambtweetmedic, it's a twitter account run by a current student that you can tweet questions to whenever. There's also #OxTweet for Oxford but idk if they have a medicine-specific account. :smile:
I have decided on biology, chemistry and geography.

Most Cambridge medics have done 3 sciences (at least) at A-Level. Replace geography with maths or physics.
Original post by mamly042
There is a huge difference between medicine and biomedical sciences. Just because they are both `medical-orientated´ they are not similar. Definitely organise some work experience in both fields. If you are thinking of going down the drug discovery route I´d consider doing some biomedical sciences degree, then going for a masters of PhD.

Haha oh god they're not really similar at all, that's clear even from the summaries of the course that unis put on their sites. I'm not looking for anything similar to medicine, just anything in that kind of field. I want to keep my options open until I have some kind of work experience, because honestly, I'm just going off of dreams and ambition right now, which might get me somewhere, just not sure if it'll be where I imagined ... But yeah, I think I'll go and do some research with my form tutor and the school's career adviser cause i'm pretty unsure right now. I'm not sure if it would be a worthy idea to bother a pharmaceutical scientist (!) just to ask them how they got their job, even if I could find an email somewhere. I don't know. Thankk you though :smile:
Original post by champ_mc99
Most Cambridge medics have done 3 sciences (at least) at A-Level. Replace geography with maths or physics.

grrrr I don't particularly like either, so I certainly don't want to spend 2 years studying them. I was considering taking physics AS, but honestly, if it doesn't amount to much then it's not worth doing. Maybe it isn't for me then haha. I do really like the 3 I've decided on though, but really I don't even have it planned out that well (not that I'm expected to yet...) but who knows, I could end up doing a geography degree (or just one that isn't in medicine) instead, in which stance I would become a secondary sch. teacher I think. It's my back up plan. But who knows, just because most have doesn't mean all have right? I'll have to see what chance I stand within the next 2 years before I apply.
Original post by Paralove
For now, focus on your GCSEs. Then, when you're in Y12, apply for every outreach scheme you can - Sutton Trust and the Shadowing Scheme at Cambridge are both really good. I'm currently a student at Cambridge (for languages) and came from a school that hadn't ever sent anyone to Oxbridge before.

When you get into sixth form, make the most of those opportunities, and definitely try to visit the uni too because you need to make sure the feel is right for you (for example, just within colleges in Cambridge, some I just hated for no reason upon walking in there). If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Also check out #CambTweet @cambtweetmedic, it's a twitter account run by a current student that you can tweet questions to whenever. There's also #OxTweet for Oxford but idk if they have a medicine-specific account. :smile:

Aw, that's really helpful, thanks! I'll give it a look sometime soon :smile:
Cambridge requires you to do the three sciences at A level
grrrr I don't particularly like either, so I certainly don't want to spend 2 years studying them. I was considering taking physics AS, but honestly, if it doesn't amount to much then it's not worth doing. Maybe it isn't for me then haha. I do really like the 3 I've decided on though, but really I don't even have it planned out that well (not that I'm expected to yet...) but who knows, I could end up doing a geography degree (or just one that isn't in medicine) instead, in which stance I would become a secondary sch. teacher I think. It's my back up plan. But who knows, just because most have doesn't mean all have right? I'll have to see what chance I stand within the next 2 years before I apply.

If you enjoy them then keep them. Just don't apply to Cambridge. I think Oxford aren't as science heavy but you really need to smash your GCSEs for them (we're talking 90% of your grades at A*). :smile:
Original post by champ_mc99
If you enjoy them then keep them. Just don't apply to Cambridge. I think Oxford aren't as science heavy but you really need to smash your GCSEs for them (we're talking 90% of your grades at A*). :smile:

Oxford was the one I was looking at anyway to be honest. It just sounds like it'd be the better of the two for me in terms of location and stuff but i'll go to both of the open days if I can. And hopefully, at GCSE, I can get 6 A*s in the exam for 2 A*s overall for science (doing double only unfortunately, picked it before i realized how much i liked science...). I got them in my mocks in April, but Dec mocks will really show what potential I have I think. I'm already one step ahead on that really because I scored really highly in my ISA controlled assessment. Praying for those science A*s especially. Not so excited for the maths and english papers though, they've changed them too much, they're so hard. No one can cope. It's terrible. But hey, if the whole country does badly, I guess the grade boundaries will be moved down...Every other subject should be fine.
Original post by Siddharthk
Hey everyone! I am new to this site and I have a few doubts i want to clear. I am currently doing the IBDP program in Indian and have completed my IGCSE's. 9 Subjects7A*S (English, all 3 sciences, Math, Geography, P.E)2A's (Additional Maths and Spanish)I have also shadowed and interned at two hospitals for 2 months in two seperate summers.I am currently interning at a dental clinic.I am teaching at an orphanage. I have volunteered for bluecross.I am a state baskeball player and school basketball captainI was also a prefect in 10th gradeI play the piano- grade 4I started an ngo And i have done many olympiads and such.and other extracurriculars which i cant rememebr IF MY IB predicted is above 40-41, what are my chances of getting into a top medical university for undergrad( oxbridge, ucl, imperial, kings)Fee's are also not an issue.

Depends on your BMAT/UKCAT score. I think Oxford would be out of the question, though.
Original post by Gogregg
Depends on your BMAT/UKCAT score. I think Oxford would be out of the question, though.

So would a really good UKCAT/BMAT plus a good interview, reference letters, seal the deal? or is there anything else i should do?

Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by Siddharthk
So would a really good UKCAT/BMAT plus a good interview, reference letters, seal the deal? or is there anything else i should do?

Thanks! :biggrin:

I think if you can, increase your predicted grades, but other than that, there wouldn't be much holding you back.
Just make sure to apply to your strengths, so if you don't have a UKCAT of 700+ don't apply to kings and your should be fine :smile:
That said, it is even more competitive for international applicants, but you could definitely do it :u:

Latest

Trending

Trending