The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Been posting in this thread a lot recently! Can anyone help me pick a fourth uni?

My stats are:
GCSE: 6 A* 4A
AS: AAAA
A2 prediction: A*A*A
UKCAT: 648

My definites are sheffield, nottingham and st georges, and for my fourth I'm trying to decide between Cardiff, UEA, Keele and Liverpool. Any advice or other unis I should consider with my grades? :smile:
Reply 81
Original post by TaraBelle
Been posting in this thread a lot recently! Can anyone help me pick a fourth uni?

My stats are:

My definites are sheffield, nottingham and st georges, and for my fourth I'm trying to decide between Cardiff, UEA, Keele and Liverpool. Any advice or other unis I should consider with my grades? :smile:

Cardiff
If you don't want PBL, avoid Liverpool and Keele.
Liverpool apparently teach anatomy poorly.
I'd recommend you consider Bristol, Edinburgh or Birmingham as your 4th option if you like the tradition course (Birmingham want 5A* now)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 82

My stats are:

Well Cardiff, UEA, Keele and Liverpool would all be good choices. If I were you, I'd base my choice on which course and teaching method mostly appeals to me.
Original post by MedMed12
Cardiff
If you don't want PBL, avoid Liverpool and Keele.
Liverpool apparently teach anatomy poorly.
I'd recommend you consider Bristol, Edinburgh or Birmingham as your 4th option if you like the tradition course (Birmingham want 5A* now)

Thank you :smile: I do like a traditional course, but I feel like Edinburgh and Bristol would be wasted choices because they're both so darn competitive! And I can't apply to B'ham- I did separate sciences and my Biology is an A and they require A* in sciences I think :frown:

Original post by myyrh
Well Cardiff, UEA, Keele and Liverpool would all be good choices. If I were you, I'd base my choice on which course and teaching method mostly appeals to me.

hmm thank you! Well I'd prefer not to do PBL, but to be honest I'm really desperate just to have a place anywhere so I'd happily go wherever takes me so! Sheffield is my favourite (both course and place) and I like nottingham but the other two I'm just choosing whereever I'd have the best shot rather than where I actually want to go :/

My stats are:

Southampton is a non-pbl uni that would accept your application (from what I can see here). Also there is no interview (Pros: No interview, cons: PS has to be really good)
Original post by BethaneyJ
Southampton is a non-pbl uni that would accept your application (from what I can see here). Also there is no interview (Pros: No interview, cons: PS has to be really good)

ooh I'm not sure about southapmton- isn't that very competitive too especially because of no interviews? :/ And I think it's too much of a risk because it's so heavy on PS :frown:
ooh I'm not sure about southapmton- isn't that very competitive too especially because of no interviews? :/ And I think it's too much of a risk because it's so heavy on PS :frown:

Yeah it is very PS based. Which some people love and some people hate :smile:
Reply 87
Thank you :smile: I do like a traditional course, but I feel like Edinburgh and Bristol would be wasted choices because they're both so darn competitive! And I can't apply to B'ham- I did separate sciences and my Biology is an A and they require A* in sciences I think :frown:

hmm thank you! Well I'd prefer not to do PBL, but to be honest I'm really desperate just to have a place anywhere so I'd happily go wherever takes me so! Sheffield is my favourite (both course and place) and I like nottingham but the other two I'm just choosing whereever I'd have the best shot rather than where I actually want to go :/

I thought it was two sciences they wanted A* in as a minimum so you could?
Oh every medical school is competitive. In theory, Cambridge is the least competitive with 5:1 applicant to seat ratio. Maybe apply there with your A*A* predictions or Oxford? The BMAT is easier to prepare for too! :smile:
Edinburgh is a good option I'd say for you if you like the course.
Course type really does matter if you want to study comfortably and perform to the best of your ability.
Reply 88
Hi guys,
Wondering if im good enough, so here goes:
GCSE's 2 A*, 9 A's (4 are BTEC), 3 B's - I went to a secondary school where the % of 5 A*-C including english and maths was 28% that year, and even with my grades, I got the highest in the school, and one of the best in the school's history... (i got a B in physics btw)
Relevant work experience:
* 1 month at a hospital in iraq shadowing an internal medicine doctor
* 1 month at a special nursing home dealing with "not so normal" residentents, i.e huntington's, MS, dementia, stroke, paralysis, parkinsons, PKU, learning difficulties etc...
* St John Ambulance volunteer throughout the year, including going out with them to events
* Head of Peer Mentoring - something I do in school to help lower year students with any problems they may have
* 2 days at derby hospital in x-ray and imaging department

I havent done UKCAT yet, doing it 4th october. AS Levels: Chem, Bio, Eng Lang - A and Maths B. Dropped English.

Do i have any chance of getting into medicine at ANY uni? And any ideas on most lenient unis for me?
Reply 89
Original post by BawanHama
Hi guys,
Wondering if im good enough, so here goes:
GCSE's 2 A*, 9 A's (4 are BTEC), 3 B's - I went to a secondary school where the % of 5 A*-C including english and maths was 28% that year, and even with my grades, I got the highest in the school, and one of the best in the school's history... (i got a B in physics btw)
Relevant work experience:
* 1 month at a hospital in iraq shadowing an internal medicine doctor
* 1 month at a special nursing home dealing with "not so normal" residentents, i.e huntington's, MS, dementia, stroke, paralysis, parkinsons, PKU, learning difficulties etc...
* St John Ambulance volunteer throughout the year, including going out with them to events
* Head of Peer Mentoring - something I do in school to help lower year students with any problems they may have
* 2 days at derby hospital in x-ray and imaging department

I havent done UKCAT yet, doing it 4th october. AS Levels: Chem, Bio, Eng Lang - A and Maths B. Dropped English.

Do i have any chance of getting into medicine at ANY uni? And any ideas on most lenient unis for me?

What did you get in your core GCSE subjects?
Reply 90
Original post by myyrh
What did you get in your core GCSE subjects?

English language and R.S - A*
maths, bio,chem, ICT (4 A's), citizenship, english lit - A (total of 9)
physics, history, statistics - B
Reply 91
English language and R.S - A*
maths, bio,chem, ICT (4 A's), citizenship, english lit - A (total of 9)
physics, history, statistics - B

You definitely have a shot at medicine and there are quite a few medical schools you could consider with your academics. It's hard to say which medical schools without your UKCAT score though.
Reply 92
Original post by myyrh
You definitely have a shot at medicine and there are quite a few medical schools you could consider with your academics. It's hard to say which medical schools without your UKCAT score though.

Wow thanks... You've made my day. I wasnt sure tbh because my grades arent great compared to some of my friends who are looking into medicine. But so far so good. I was thinking of manchester as my first choice and keele as my insurance.
Reply 93
Wow thanks... You've made my day. I wasnt sure tbh because my grades arent great compared to some of my friends who are looking into medicine. But so far so good. I was thinking of manchester as my first choice and keele as my insurance.

Well you have four choices. You can't really be thinking about an insurance because you don't know if you've got an offer from them :tongue:. You would be fine to apply to both but Manchester would depend on your UKCAT score.
Original post by myyrh
Firstly three A levels are sufficient for pretty much all medical schools. However, if you are referring to three AS levels then you will run into difficulty as most medical schools need four subjects to be taken at AS.
It's also important to understand that ALL MEDICAL SCHOOLS ARE GOOD UNIS. Unfortunately with your GCSEs Kings is extremely far fetched. You can still make it into medicine but you really need to try and persuade your teachers to let you take four subjects at AS level.

Thanks for your reply, this really helps. Yes, I was talking about 3 as levels and Ok I will do my best, but would you suggest I take ICT as the fourth (i'm not sure if its looked favourably upon for med schools) or french (but I'm aware this will be quite hard, however I got an A in it at GCSE). Yes you're right, it's just nowadays the most popular/most talked about unis seem to be the best. Thank you so much, your advice is greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 95
Original post by amazingrace
Thanks for your reply, this really helps. Yes, I was talking about 3 as levels and Ok I will do my best, but would you suggest I take ICT as the fourth (i'm not sure if its looked favourably upon for med schools) or french (but I'm aware this will be quite hard, however I got an A in it at GCSE). Yes you're right, it's just nowadays the most popular/most talked about unis seem to be the best. Thank you so much, your advice is greatly appreciated :smile:

Although ICT is considered "soft" I'm pretty sure most medical schools would accept it as a fourth subject. Check with the universities and if it is, then pick which ever subject you think you're more likely to get a higher grade in. The choice of subject is not important as long as it's accepted.
Original post by amazingrace

There are quite a few that will take only 3 AS levels from what I understood from this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
Only the ones with a lower case letter stipulate the grade for a fourth AS.

Original post by myyrh

Sorry, maybe I am confused about it, but I thought that there were 17 that don't want the 4th AS from the typical offer thing. Which is over half? I apologise if I am totally confused xD
Reply 97
Original post by BethaneyJ
There are quite a few that will take only 3 AS levels from what I understood from this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
Only the ones with a lower case letter stipulate the grade for a fourth AS.

Sorry, maybe I am confused about it, but I thought that there were 17 that don't want the 4th AS from the typical offer thing. Which is over half? I apologise if I am totally confused xD

No don't worry I thought that too after looking at the wiki but some actually do need a fourth subject to be studied. Out of the 17 you mentioned, the following actually do prefer/want a fourth subject done.
Birmingham
Manchester
Bristol
BSMS
Leicester
Oxbridge(out of reach with their gcse grades)
Sheffield
Original post by myyrh
No don't worry I thought that too after looking at the wiki but some actually do need a fourth subject to be studied. Out of the 17 you mentioned, the following actually do prefer/want a fourth subject done.
Birmingham
Manchester
Bristol
BSMS
Leicester
Oxbridge(out of reach with their gcse grades)
Sheffield

Ah okay, that clears things up a bit. So 10/32 are happy with 3 AS levels. It's not easy is it xD

Thank you <3

PRSOM :unimpressed:
Reply 99
Hey guys, how to predictions work? I got 4As in my AS Levels but in chemistry and physics, I got 1 B for each subject in one module. Apparently my teacher says that you'll need to be 90% in overall UMS to be predicted A*s. I got 248/300 for my Chemistry overall UMS, 259/300 for my Physics UMS, 277/300 for my Maths UMS and 276/300 for my Biology UMS.
I screwed up my UKCAT, now I'm really disadvantaged into only a few universities such as Bristol and Imperial where even smarter candidates will come to apply for one of 30 places as an international student (me being an international). How do predictions work? Could someone tell me? If I am predicted 2A*s and 2As I feel I definitely am disadvantaged to the students who are applying.

Latest