The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm still taking my AS Levels atm (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths), but is it possible to apply for Medicine with these GCSEs?

Geography - A
Maths - A
Chemistry - A
Biology - A
Physics - A
German - A
Statistics - A
English Literature - A
English Language - B
Ancient History - C

A LEVEL STATISTICS (S1) - C

I'm also getting some work experience/shadowing in the medical field, and other such...things. What do you think?
Reply 1381
Original post by Lifestalker
I'm still taking my AS Levels atm (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths), but is it possible to apply for Medicine with these GCSEs?

Geography - A
Maths - A
Chemistry - A
Biology - A
Physics - A
German - A
Statistics - A
English Literature - A
English Language - B
Ancient History - C

A LEVEL STATISTICS (S1) - C

I'm also getting some work experience/shadowing in the medical field, and other such...things. What do you think?

Yes, those grades are fine. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements
Original post by dominic929
Hi,

I got 5A* in my IGCSE's and am currently predicted 43/45. I'm wondering what universities are less focused on your IGCSE and more on your IB grades. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Uni's are more focused on IB's/A-levels than GCSE's
Original post by Username97
Your extra curricular activities are good, it shows you're good at sport and like teamwork, and a well rounded person overall. Try to get more academic achievements in there too like certificates or awards.
But seriously you don't have much to worry about you're not even a sixth former yet, which is when people start doing these things to boost their applications.

I know it's weird to ask, but are you Indian? My friend is and his name is written similarly to yours :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No mate, I am Bangladeshi :smile:
Is re-sitting some module exams during a gap year considered by uni's the equivalent of taking 3 years of college? Or in other words, will they look down upon it? thanks in advance for any replies! :smile:
Original post by KingChowdhury
No mate, I am Bangladeshi :smile:

Well good on you, I also have Bangladeshi friends :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jcholzz
Is re-sitting some module exams during a gap year considered by uni's the equivalent of taking 3 years of college? Or in other words, will they look down upon it? thanks in advance for any replies! :smile:

Depends which uni you are applying to.
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Depends which uni you are applying to.

well i just looked at the list, and from what i saw almost all of them won't accept resists! Apart from oxford, weirdly. So basically, is there no hope for you if you don't do well...? I'm asking because i have the feeling i screwed up my january as modules (partly due to family problems, partly due to a change in school system from us to uk). I'll be retaking them in may/june, but i'm just worried the stress of all those exams will get the better of me and i may screw up in a couple again.
Original post by jcholzz
well i just looked at the list, and from what i saw almost all of them won't accept resists! Apart from oxford, weirdly. So basically, is there no hope for you if you don't do well...? I'm asking because i have the feeling i screwed up my january as modules (partly due to family problems, partly due to a change in school system from us to uk). I'll be retaking them in may/june, but i'm just worried the stress of all those exams will get the better of me and i may screw up in a couple again.

Have a look at this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies
Original post by jcholzz

Depends on the uni and how many subjects you're resitting.
Reply 1390
Hi i am currently in fifth year and last year i completed my standard grades and intermediate 2's i got 4'a's and 4'b's . Not the best i know but this year i am aiming to get straight a's in maths , english , biology , chemistry and Business Management . Next year i plan on taking crash higher physics and advanced higher Biology , Chemistry and Business Management .

Currently i am volunteering at my local hospital for two hours a week and have applied to volunteer at the commonwealth as a first aid officer as i hope to complete my first aid course by the games . Finally i am planning to go to the czech republic for two weeks in the summer to go on a gap medics course .I also have completed part of my solitaire award which is an award for volunteering . Should my Standard grades and int 2's have an effect on me getting into medicine ?

Thanks in advance
It'll have an effect, but nothing too detrimental. I had AA111222 myself, so only 1 better than you, really! Standard Grades don't add too much to an application; just apply smart - make sure you meet the minimum or competitive requirements, and then completely forget about your SGs. Just focus on getting the 5 A's this year, rocking your UKCAT, and writing a bangin' personal statement with some sweet WE/volunteering.

Also ask yourself why you missed out on straight A's last year. If you're capable of 5 A's at Higher; you're capable of 8 A's at SG. What made the difference? Did you not work hard? Did you work hard, but it wasn't effective? Why didn't it work? Reflect on it a bit so you can do your best this year. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1392
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
It'll have an effect, but nothing too detrimental. I had AA111222 myself, so only 1 better than you, really! Standard Grades don't add too much to an application; just apply smart - make sure you meet the minimum or competitive requirements, and then completely forget about your SGs. Just focus on getting the 5 A's this year, rocking your UKCAT, and writing a bangin' personal statement with some sweet WE/volunteering.

Also ask yourself why you missed out on straight A's last year. If you're capable of 5 A's at Higher; you're capable of 8 A's at SG. What made the difference? Did you not work hard? Did you work hard, but it wasn't effective? Why didn't it work? Reflect on it a bit so you can do your best this year. :smile:

Thanks the only reason i never got 8 a's at sg was because i just didnt work hard enough , i hardly did anything
Reply 1393
Hi there im in dilema also, is it possible in any uni where you get an E in 4th AS but 3 A's in A2 will there be a uni that will accept that :frown:
Original post by kidder12
Hi there im in dilema also, is it possible in any uni where you get an E in 4th AS but 3 A's in A2 will there be a uni that will accept that :frown:

Depends entirely on the course (I'm guessing medicine) and subjects. Medicine is highly competitive, so I'd hazard a guess that an E would probably put you at some kind of disadvantage, yes.
UCL will, there are also some uni's that don't require a fourth AS
I'm curious about studying medicine in university, although i haven't got to studying my a levels yet, I've picked ( I think ) the more enabling subjects ( as I don't know what I want exactly yet ) to allow me so if I wish.
Anyways, My GCSE's aren't the best at the moment but Im totally confident and so I my teachers, that I will leave school with a B in maths, A-A* in English and B-A's in Science.
So, do GCSE's matter or is it your A levels that count if you want to study medicine ?
Original post by Saprophytically
I'm curious about studying medicine in university, although i haven't got to studying my a levels yet, I've picked ( I think ) the more enabling subjects ( as I don't know what I want exactly yet ) to allow me so if I wish.
Anyways, My GCSE's aren't the best at the moment but Im totally confident and so I my teachers, that I will leave school with a B in maths, A-A* in English and B-A's in Science.
So, do GCSE's matter or is it your A levels that count if you want to study medicine ?

A range of A*s, As, Bs are fine at GCSE. I would just avoid gcse heavy universities. Everywhere (except Oxbridge), you need AAA. You would be fine if you applied smartly.
Thanks, I can always push my self for the A's, a little hard work won't do no harm, plus I'm still not certain if medicine it what i want yet. Anyways, thanks again for the reply :smile:
The requirement are listed on the medicine wiki. I think only a minority require a 4th AS.

Latest

Trending

Trending