The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'd email the admissions, because many aren't keen on BTEC sciences, especially if you did do AS in sciences too. I'd see what they say, if not go for the foundation courses, however some like manchester only have 20 places so its VERY competitive. I'd recommend you do you resit AS and do A2s and then apply to those who accept third year of A-levels such as UEA, Keele, Liverpool etc
First tip I'd give to anyone: Apply to your strengths. I'm unfamiliar with English medical schools, but try and figure out who places an emphasis on what. If you get a poor UKCAT score, avoid applying to universities that value it.

I'm unsure if what you've said means you received your AS levels over more than one year, but universities can take into consideration mitigating factors in exam achievement if you make them aware.

Things are much easier to decide once you have your UKCAT, as then you can decide which unis to apply to.
Yes, thank you foryour time and advice. That is a good idea; I will phone the universities andask them. Gosh, hopefully they will give me at least one offer! I will have tothink of original answers to the questions at the interview and I will do lotsmore volunteer work with the disabled and older people!! Thanks again....:biggrin:
Original post by emah123
where are studying? did you get in first time round? also so any unis accept epqmas 4th AS? as i got an a* in that

I'm at Bristol, and yup, I got in first time round (though there are loads of successful reapplicants in my year! if anything, I feel like I don't have enough life experience...)

Generally EPQs aren't accepted in place of a 4th AS, as most med school admissions documents specify that at least four subjects must be studied in the first year of sixth form. However, EPQs are a great thing to build on in a personal statement, or talk about at an interview. Whereabouts are you planning on applying?
Reply 1784
Hey! I'm new to the site and just found out the results from my January as exams. They were not as good as I hope for. I got:
1. 100% in Biology
2. 95% in maths
3. 84% in chemistry
4. 70% in Psychology (which I'm resitting)
My chemistry teacher told me to resit but i'm already taking ten exams in June so i'm going to try and boost my UMS marks in the next exam. I have done 6 weeks volunteering at a charity shop, 2 high profile concerts and am also going for a youth leader award at brownies. Am I good enough for Medicine? My friends constantly tell me I'm not :frown:
Reply 1785
Hey! I'm new to the sit and have just completed my as January module exams. I wasn't happy with my results and know I could have done better. I got:
1. 100% in biology
2. 95% in Maths
3. 84% in Chemistry
4. 70% in Psychology ( resitting)
My teacher told me to resit Chemistry but I have ten exams in June and would rather focus on bumping up my UMS in the next chemistry exam. I have done 6 weeks volunteering in a charity shop, 2 days at high profile concerts and am currently training to be a youth leader in brownies. My friends tell me I'm not good enough and my best friend said she would have been majorly disappointing with anything under 90% let alone a B.
Am I good enough to take medcine at University?Any help would be appreciated
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1786
I also am part of the medical science society at my college
good enough for what?
Reply 1788
Sorry! Good Enough to take medicine at University :smile:
Original post by Becky.96
Hey! I'm new to the sit and have just completed my as January module exams. I wasn't happy with my results and know I could have done better. I got:
1. 100% in biology
2. 95% in Maths
3. 84% in Chemistry
4. 70% in Psychology ( resitting)
My teacher told me to resit Chemistry but I have ten exams in June and would rather focus on bumping up my UMS in the next chemistry exam. I have done 6 weeks volunteering in a charity shop, 2 days at high profile concerts and am currently training to be a youth leader in brownies. My friends tell me I'm not good enough and my best friend said she would have been majorly disappointing with anything under 90% let alone a B. Am I good enough for Medicine? :confused: Any help would be appreciated

You have got to be kidding me :facepalm:. Of course those grades are good enough.

Also, you need some better friends.
Reply 1790
Original post by flavius11
Chemistry % is weak for a medic. Psychology is dreadful. Where is the medical work exp? Seriously you can't expect to get into uni without it. So currently no you're not good enough.

I'm resitting my psychology in may to bump my B up to an A but its not that relevant for a Medicine career it was just there to bump up my options to 4. It is a low A for chemistry but I panicked in my first exams so I was hoping I could bump it up in the next one too a higher ums points overall ;L
You're grades are good in the sciences, not so much in psychology. However, I would agree with flavius11 that the main issue is the lack of medical work experience - you should try to shadow a doctor/ volunteer in a care home/ get work experience at the pharmacist or local GP etc.
Reply 1792
Chemistry % is weak for a medic. Psychology is dreadful. Where is the medical work exp? Seriously you can't expect to get into uni without it. So currently no you're not good enough.

I also can't find medical work experience and I contacted the hospital and they said social experience such as with girl scouts is also valued.
Reply 1793
Just because it isn't relevant doesn't mean they won't expect a high grade. Medicine is ultra competitive; mediocre is not enough. Do get the Chem up; it'll look better if you quote some high module marks that suggest you're on for an A*.

But seriously what about the medical work exp?

I've tried 4 GP's and two hospitals with no luck on medical experience. I am trying and have been to the GP's and emailed the hospitals myself.:s-smilie: I have joined the NHS trust to get some advise on work experience. They said if their is no medical exp its not compulsory and social work exp is often valued. I didn't say it wasn't relevant I just meant I'm not as worried as some of the others. :smile:
Reply 1794
Nonsense. I did some when I was at school in my local hospital, and volunteered in a nursing home looking after old people. Girl scouts is not up there and if they said that they are taking the mick.

I'm not actually a girl scout..... I supervise meetings with young children and manage the running. I am also volunteering at a care home after my CRB check has cleared :smile:
Reply 1795
Not met a medic at my uni who didn't do some work exp. You need it. To think otherwise is very naive. Most (if not all) hospitals have a dedicated work experience co-ordinator who you need to a) find and b) contract. Or ask your own GP? Mine is more than keen to take people.

Ive asked my own GP and they were not willing to take any students. I have also contacted the work experience co-ordinatior at the hospital a number of time and she she's there is a large waiting list. She gave me the links to the girl scouts and also some befriending services that I am too young for. I am not naive I am trying!
Original post by Becky.96
Hey! I'm new to the site and just found out the results from my January as exams. They were not as good as I hope for. I got:
1. 100% in Biology
2. 95% in maths
3. 84% in chemistry
4. 70% in Psychology (which I'm resitting)
My chemistry teacher told me to resit but i'm already taking ten exams in June so i'm going to try and boost my UMS marks in the next exam. I have done 6 weeks volunteering at a charity shop, 2 high profile concerts and am also going for a youth leader award at brownies. Am I good enough for Medicine? My friends constantly tell me I'm not :frown:

I would say that you definitely have a good chance... I know people who've got in on less. Much less.

However, you would do well to boost your Chemistry score, as I understand it's much more important than Biology (you can do Medicine without Biology, not without Chemistry).

Consider getting new friends. (I'm kidding, of course; but, really, that's not very supportive of them :rolleyes:)
(edited 11 years ago)
Universities say that they are understanding about work experience but you would really need some very long-term nursing home experience to back this up, interviewers do tend to assume you've done work experience with doctors. It is a very tough system, i got turned away from loads of hospitals, the one i eventually got into was 2.5hours on the bus each way! just trying to give you fair warning, don't give up trying, keep applying, abuse any family contacts you might have, go in in person(it's harder for them to turn you away), well done for what you've done so far - those grades should be alright!
Reply 1798
Try a different hospital; perhaps a smallish community one. Less likely to be a waiting list.

I've tried the two nearest hospitals near to me with the second on being an hour away :frown: I am trying desperately and the other volunteering is a last resort due to being rejected so much. Is there any volunteering you could suggest other than these? :smile:
Reply 1799
Original post by PeanutButter2000
Universities say that they are understanding about work experience but you would really need some very long-term nursing home experience to back this up, interviewers do tend to assume you've done work experience with doctors. It is a very tough system, i got turned away from loads of hospitals, the one i eventually got into was 2.5hours on the bus each way! just trying to give you fair warning, don't give up trying, keep applying, abuse any family contacts you might have, go in in person(it's harder for them to turn you away), well done for what you've done so far - those grades should be alright!

Thankyou :smile: I will keep trying its just hard haha

Latest

Trending

Trending