The Student Room Group

How much do you're GCSE's affect you're Uni chances?

soz for thy grammer
(edited 11 years ago)
GCSEs are pretty important. Feedback from at least one of my unis (top 5) let me know that I'd missed out because of my grades and I suspect Oxford didn't like my stats much either (rejected post interview). But they do take your school into account, esp if you have your referee mention it.

Sorry....this is bugging me. You're = you are. How much do you are GCSEs affect you are uni chances. It makes my teeth itch. Plus the E in GCSEs is already capitalised so the apostrophe is redundant, it doesn't replace anything. Sorry OP, really not trying to be nasty!
:indiff:
Original post by joe1545
So ive just started sixthform, and tbh my GCSEs werent great, A*A*ABBBBBBCC
the A*s in bio and chem. I done 4 gcses a year early and one AS level a year early, i got a D in my AS level English, which over looks the C i got at english in yr 10.
I acknowledge my GCSE results are far from great, and my school making me do English lit in year 9 and starting maths and RS a year earlier doesnt help.

The school isnt a private school, i was only one of 26 students/160 that got 12A*-C including maths and English.

However, I have chosen to do Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Economics at AS level, I am a committed student and plan to do my very best in terms of revision and work etc.

Although i was just wondering if my choices for a good uni placement have already been cut short because of my GCSEs, for example if I got 4 or 3A*s at A2 would Oxbridge and other Russell Group unis still not accept me because of my poor GCSEs grades despite 'outstanding' A levels?

If it bares any thought i actually hold interest in the subjects im taking as well as playing the piano and rugby, and plan to pick up as much work experience as I can in an array of careers I may want to pursue.

The reason for this is that i dont want to waste an option that i pretty much never had a chance in because of my GCSEs

Remember no one cares about your A2 grades - you apply just after your AS results, and the universities make you offers based on your predicted grades.

Depending on just how bad your school is, you may still be able to apply to top universities.

Not surprising that you got a D at AS-level English when your muddling you're usage of your and you're.
Reply 4
Original post by chinaberry

Sorry....this is bugging me. You're = you are. How much do you are GCSEs affect you are uni chances. It makes my teeth itch. Plus the E in GCSEs is already capitalised so the apostrophe is redundant, it doesn't replace anything. Sorry OP, really not trying to be nasty!

yea, sorry for that slight mistake
Reply 5
Original post by The Polymath

Not surprising that you got a D at AS-level English when your muddling you're usage of your and you're.

Obviously don't know the difference between a social forum and a test,
please only comment if your post is going to be helpful
Reply 6
Unless you are applying for Oxbridge they wont matter if you got a good set of GCSE's
Reply 7
Original post by The Polymath

Reply 8
your.gif

Had to do it.

In all seriousness though, GCSEs aren't the be all and end all of everything. Provided you do reasonable well (pass them all with Cs or above) it's not the end. Yes, Oxbridge want you to have A*s and As, but I know plenty of people with straight Cs who went on to get ABC at A-Level or Bs and Cs who got ABB, and now go to a Redbrick university. Most universities (exempting UCL etc) will care more for your A-Levels. That doesn't go to say that you shouldn't try, you definitely should. But, if you try and don't do as well as you had hoped, good A-Level grades will stand out more on an application than your GCSEs. A lot more universities will want people with Cs at GCSE and As at A-Level than the other way round, because A-Levels are more difficult, more recent and the latter example shows your capability to improve. :smile:
Hey- I think you have dibs on being the dickhead for using the term "grammar nazi", OP. Bloody distasteful and rude.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending