The Student Room Group

i messed up my GCSEs but im predicted A* in my a levels am i fxcked?

Okay so long story short i messed up my GCSEs getting mostly 5s and 6s I want to study computer science in the future and am currently in year 12 our school is doing internal exams soon to determine our predicted grades in conjunction with exams sat at the start of second year . Ive really knuckled down and tried this year and am currently predicted 3 A* in computer science business and economic and an A in maths . Will I be affected with my uni choices . Im not aiming for oxford Cambridge LSE but going too somewhere in the top 15 would be nice do I have a good chance even though my GCSE results are poor . Over the summer ill also be working on a project where ill be building using pytorch to build a machine-learning algorithm can I include this on my UCAS ? Im really worried as I feel like my performance in my GCSEs was massively due to my mental health and really don't want that to affect my future prospects any advice please just be honest and realistic so I can try and see where to go from here .
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
From what I've heard previously they only really matter if you're going to top top unis, I think you will be fine it sounds like you're doing some really great things and universities would love to have someone like you. If you got 5s and 6s those are passes and would be considered good enough for top 15 unis, I don't think you have to worry about it at all. Most unis of this level (even Russell group like Warwick) only want at least 4s or above in english and maths for most subjects. Have a look on the websites of some of the unis you are interested in, if GCSEs matter at all to them they will list it in the grade requirements.

Definitely include your machine-learning algorithm in your UCAS application, that's exactly the kind of thing they'll want to hear
Reply 2
As far as I'm aware, most unis care about you're GCSE English language and maths, and only to the extent of you getting above a 4 in both, other than that they couldn't care less. Definitely include any impressive coding achievements on your application, that's a good way to stand out. But when your school tells you that things like EPQs or DOE or GCSESs make a difference for UCAS, they're basically just lying. In reality, if a uni cares about any of those, that should be a red flag for you.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Thank you so much honestly a lot of my self worth died when I got those results n it plummeted my mental health further . It’s rlly rlly assuring hearing that after thinking I’ll never go anywhere decent . Thank you I appreciate your response

Original post by jjeeeeeea
From what I've heard previously they only really matter if you're going to top top unis, I think you will be fine it sounds like you're doing some really great things and universities would love to have someone like you. If you got 5s and 6s those are passes and would be considered good enough for top 15 unis, I don't think you have to worry about it at all. Most unis of this level (even Russell group like Warwick) only want at least 4s or above in english and maths for most subjects. Have a look on the websites of some of the unis you are interested in, if GCSEs matter at all to them they will list it in the grade requirements.

Definitely include your machine-learning algorithm in your UCAS application, that's exactly the kind of thing they'll want to hear
Reply 4
Thank you I’ve been rlly worried since all my friends r over achievers getting all 8/9s then good a levels n it worries me a lot .

Original post by Bmboo
As far as I'm aware, most unis care about you're GCSE English language and maths, and only to the extent of you getting above a 4 in both, other than that they couldn't care less. Definitely include any impressive coding achievements on your application, that's a good way to stand out. But when your school tells you that things like EPQs or DOE or GCSESs make a difference for UCAS, they're basically just lying. In reality, if a uni cares about any of those, that should be a red flag for you.
Reply 5
Original post by JekwIshaq786
Thank you I’ve been rlly worried since all my friends r over achievers getting all 8/9s then good a levels n it worries me a lot .

The other thing you should consider is the worst case scenario. Let's say unis do care about GCSEs, see yours and reject you. Then let's say you do well in your a levels anyway. Those the superseed your GCSEs, allowing you to get a place either through clearing or defering. So yeah really don't worry yourself about it, focus on your a levels and everything should go fine
Reply 6
Original post by JekwIshaq786
Okay so long story short i messed up my GCSEs getting mostly 5s and 6s I want to study computer science in the future and am currently in year 12 our school is doing internal exams soon to determine our predicted grades in conjunction with exams sat at the start of second year . Ive really knuckled down and tried this year and am currently predicted 3 A* in computer science business and economic and an A in maths . Will I be affected with my uni choices . Im not aiming for oxford Cambridge LSE but going too somewhere in the top 15 would be nice do I have a good chance even though my GCSE results are poor . Over the summer ill also be working on a project where ill be building using pytorch to build a machine-learning algorithm can I include this on my UCAS ? Im really worried as I feel like my performance in my GCSEs was massively due to my mental health and really don't want that to affect my future prospects any advice please just be honest and realistic so I can try and see where to go from here .

Heya!
Unis state what the entry requirements are. Most just need a 5 or a 6 in maths and English lang so you should be fine :h: Only some unis like Oxford do care about every GCSE grade but most are ok with a 5 or a 6 so don't worry!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest