The Student Room Group

English lit and Lang GCSE

Hello, In 2017 I sat my gcses and I passed in English Literature with a 5 and failed with a 3 in Language. In sixthform I was told I do not need to resit Lang as a I got a 5 in literature. I am
now in university and have started to stress out if this will come around again and affect my degree or career. I also did a foundation year where I put in the grades I got and they did not mention anything then. Do you think it’s possible my uni will bring this up now?
Speak to a student advisor on your course, it very much depends on your course qualifications and what you want to do afterwards
Original post by CatInTheCorner
Speak to a student advisor on your course, it very much depends on your course qualifications and what you want to do afterwards

on the website it says English language or equivalent. Do you this this classes an equivalent? Because my point is when applying to uni they never mentioned it, it’s just a new anxious thought.
I'm surprised you weren't asked to retake language in sixth form, because language is the important one. Literature doesn't matter at all (unless you're taking it as an A Level).

When universities say you need English and Maths, it's language that they mean. They couldn't give a stuff about GCSE English literature.

Lit is definitely not an equivalent to language. By equivalent they mean something like IGCSE instead of GCSE.

If your uni hasn't specifically asked for it though, I highly doubt they'll bring it up.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I'm surprised you weren't asked to retake language in sixth form, because language is the important one. Literature doesn't matter at all (unless you're taking it as an A Level).

When universities say you need English and Maths, it's language that they mean. They couldn't give a stuff about GCSE English literature.

Lit is definitely not an equivalent to language. By equivalent they mean something like IGCSE instead of GCSE.

If your uni hasn't specifically asked for it though, I highly doubt they'll bring it up.

I was told to retake but they said something along the lines of if you have a five in literature, you do not need to resit as it will average out as a pass. And since then it was never brought up. I would still be able to graduate right?
Original post by thecupcakee
I was told to retake but they said something along the lines of if you have a five in literature, you do not need to resit as it will average out as a pass. And since then it was never brought up. I would still be able to graduate right?

If you're already at uni and it hasn't been questioned about it, you're fine, don't worry about it.

What your sixth form told you is utterly bizarre though as they are two separate subjects.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
If you're already at uni and it hasn't been questioned about it, you're fine, don't worry about it.

What your sixth form told you is utterly bizarre though as they are two separate subjects.

Maybe because I was the first year of students who went through the whole “number graded GCSEs” there were different rules back then, obviously it probably different now. And I’m sure there’s loads of people how have had a degree with a failed gcse. I’m literally trying to reassure myself. So they wouldn’t kick me out right? I’m so sorry if I am persistently asking this.
Original post by thecupcakee
Maybe because I was the first year of students who went through the whole “number graded GCSEs” there were different rules back then, obviously it probably different now. And I’m sure there’s loads of people how have had a degree with a failed gcse. I’m literally trying to reassure myself. So they wouldn’t kick me out right? I’m so sorry if I am persistently asking this.

They won't kick you out. They saw your qualifications when you applied. If there was a problem it would have been brought up at the time of applying.
I did letters for GCSEs in 2000 and lang / lit were still treated as separate subjects back then too, so I'm still baffled by your sixth form, but anyway you're in uni so you're fine.
I need some advice as last year I took the gcse for English literature and got a 3 but this year I took English language and if I get a high grade let’s say will I have to retake English literature
(edited 10 months ago)
your university accepted your application, so i believe they will not remove you as a student. i assume the university saw and accepted your GCSE results when you applied
Original post by Funnybunny72
I need some advice as last year I took the gcse for English literature and got a 3 but this year I took English language and if I get a high grade let’s say will I have to retake English literature

You really should have made this post in a new thread rather than bumping up an old one. However, to answer your question, unless you're planning on taking English Lit for A-Levels, it really doesn't matter much what you got on it. English Language is the important one.

Quick Reply

Latest