The Student Room Group

Do my average GCSE grades matter? Will they inconvenience my future career?

Hi, so I’m currently in year 12 and I’m studying for my A-levels, soon I have my mocks that will predict my ucas grades. I do Criminology, English Literature, Sociology and the EPQ to lower uni offers and for my personal statement. I hope to study law at university and I want to become a solicitor, hopefully in immigration law or work in other type of law. Recently I’ve been really worried about my GCSE grades though.. because they weren’t great because I didn’t focus a lot, had I focused I think I would’ve done a lot better. I got 5s and 4s and I failed maths and business with 3’s. I’m currently retaking maths along with my subjects. My GCSES weren’t terrible.. but they weren’t impressive either and I know I can’t change the past but I keep dwelling on it.. I feel like a failure basically. Will my average gcse grades affect my career in law for employers? Or will it be overlooked if i have better A-level grades?
Reply 1
Original post by sofiamood08089
Hi, so I’m currently in year 12 and I’m studying for my A-levels, soon I have my mocks that will predict my ucas grades. I do Criminology, English Literature, Sociology and the EPQ to lower uni offers and for my personal statement. I hope to study law at university and I want to become a solicitor, hopefully in immigration law or work in other type of law. Recently I’ve been really worried about my GCSE grades though.. because they weren’t great because I didn’t focus a lot, had I focused I think I would’ve done a lot better. I got 5s and 4s and I failed maths and business with 3’s. I’m currently retaking maths along with my subjects. My GCSES weren’t terrible.. but they weren’t impressive either and I know I can’t change the past but I keep dwelling on it.. I feel like a failure basically. Will my average gcse grades affect my career in law for employers? Or will it be overlooked if i have better A-level grades?

Hi @sofiamood08089

Great to hear you're considering a career in law! Here at the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), we understand that some people find their skills and passions later in life so GCSE and A-level results won't hold you back 🙂

Some roles, such as our crown prosecutor opportunities do require specific legal qualifications, and it sounds like you're working hard towards achieving them.

If you're looking to gain experience in the meantime, applications are currently open for paralegal assistants. You don't need any qualifications or legal experience, we're looking for excellent customer service skills and an interest in criminal law. You'll be working as part of a prosecution team to help secure justice for victims of crime, gaining insight into the wider criminal justice system along the way.

I hope I've provided you with some reassurance but if you have any questions about roles or recruitment here at the CPS please get in touch 😀

Jade - CPS recruitment team
Reply 2

Once you've done A levels and are in university, employers don't really care about your GCSEs. They will only look at English and maths, if at all, so I would recommend having those at a minimum of grade 4. However, if you want to study law at university, your grades could potentially hold you back. Generally, most Russell Group universities look for a 7-4 in English Language and sometimes they will require maths at grades 6-4, but this is not always the case. You'll have to look through some universities and their law course requirements to make sure you meet them, but you should be fine as long as you meet their requirements. Having good A level grades may improve your chances if you want to go to Russell Group universities, but honestly only they can tell you whether your GCSEs may disadvantage you. If you're eligible for contextual offers, this also may boost your chances, as sometimes GCSE requirements can be lowered for contextual applicants. If you want to work in immigration law, generally as long as you go to a top third university, you should be fine when trying to secure graduate positions (not necessarily Russell Groups). If you are interested in other types of law, such as commercial law, going to a Russell Group university would boost your chances significantly, as they tend to recruit more from those universities. You are not a failure in any way. I would suggest looking into both universities that don't have high GCSE requirements (or any) and contextual offers at Russell Group universities. Either way, it's not about where you go for your undergrad, it's about what you do during that time to make you stand out as an applicant.

Good luck in your journey - from a fellow aspiring law student!
Original post by bibachu
Once you've done A levels and are in university, employers don't really care about your GCSEs. They will only look at English and maths, if at all, so I would recommend having those at a minimum of grade 4. However, if you want to study law at university, your grades could potentially hold you back. Generally, most Russell Group universities look for a 7-4 in English Language and sometimes they will require maths at grades 6-4, but this is not always the case. You'll have to look through some universities and their law course requirements to make sure you meet them, but you should be fine as long as you meet their requirements. Having good A level grades may improve your chances if you want to go to Russell Group universities, but honestly only they can tell you whether your GCSEs may disadvantage you. If you're eligible for contextual offers, this also may boost your chances, as sometimes GCSE requirements can be lowered for contextual applicants. If you want to work in immigration law, generally as long as you go to a top third university, you should be fine when trying to secure graduate positions (not necessarily Russell Groups). If you are interested in other types of law, such as commercial law, going to a Russell Group university would boost your chances significantly, as they tend to recruit more from those universities. You are not a failure in any way. I would suggest looking into both universities that don't have high GCSE requirements (or any) and contextual offers at Russell Group universities. Either way, it's not about where you go for your undergrad, it's about what you do during that time to make you stand out as an applicant.
Good luck in your journey - from a fellow aspiring law student!

Thank you!! To work at big/city law firms do they care about whether your uni is a Russel group?
Reply 4
Thank you!! To work at big/city law firms do they care about whether your uni is a Russel group?

To an extent. They tend to hire from more Russell Groups, but there are people who didn’t attend a Russell Group and get offered TCs. I would say that it’s mainly due to a higher proportion of applicants being from Russell Groups, rather than selectively choosing them. You can absolutely still go to a non RG uni and get hired by city law firms, but going to one may increase your chances.

Hi there

It is great to hear that you are looking to apply to University and considering your options.

Your GCSE grades will not really affect your career in law, as they will be more focused on A levels and University marks. Furthermore, work experience is a massive plus for employers, so I would not concern yourself over it too much. It is good that you are taking your Maths GCSEs again 🙂 I think the only 'important', or the GCSEs that most employers or Universities will look for may be English and GCSEs, so as long as you meet their entry requirements, you are fine. 🙂 (If you like, you are probably able to find these on individual firm websites, or University websites, etc.)

I understand the feeling of being disappointed on your grades, but honestly it is not as bad as you think. Instead, I think focusing on searching for legal or non-legal experiences too will be useful. (This is to demonstrate your transferable skills and abilities). Extra-curriculars will also be really useful in showing your interests and personalities in applications.

Good luck.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending