The Student Room Group

Fresh start

Hi has anyone had any experience with a Fresh Start course??? It's for a year to get adults back into education. Once completed you can then go on to do an access course, further education or work.

Just looking at it as an option to get my GCSE grades up, but with being a mature student (35) I'm not sure if unis definitely want matures to have GCSE's or if access equivalents are accepted.

I'm getting into a bit of a tizz over things and not sure what to do about it!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Each University is different.

Some will insist on GCSE and some will accept an equivalent such as Level 2 Mathematics on an Access to HE course.

However for Teachers I believe most Universities, if not all, will insist on GCSE English, Maths and Science to a minimum of grade C.
Reply 2
would agree with above poster and altho i made a post about this on another thread, i was obviously not clear enuff. so i hope it reads as i mean it to with this post.

depending on institution and their entry requirements, it's always wise to ask what u will need to ensure u can deliver and don't fall short come selection time.

access can be perfectly fine on its own with their level 2 maths/english components being seen as acceptable. then again, it may not be enuff.

posts here seem to suggest that the science based degrees can be more demanding and may well ask for an access as well as maths GCSE (or more, such as an A level) done separately and alongside...etc etc

best bet is, check with admissions to all the places u wanna apply to.

Edit** and to add that this does of course apply to access courses that DO have it as a requirement to do maths/english (ie, u don't pass unless u have both maths and english, whether thru prior study or thru the access)) and NOT those courses that don't have level 2 maths and english attached.
Reply 3
Thank you for that.
I have emailed various universities but not heard anything back. As it stands at the moment, how I read the entry requirements, I need to have the GCSE qualifications for English, Maths and science. I have C for English Lang and lit and CC for science but only have E for maths!!

With a Fresh Start course I can re-do English and Maths GCSE as well as study skills, Information Technology and Certificate in Higher Project (whatever this may be). If I opt for Fresh Start the Access will have to be put back a year.

Reply 4
tbh lynette, i think u have the right idea by doing the fresh start thingy (not heard of this before now) and putting back the access for the year because education degrees are highly competitive and there can't be anything worse than doing the voluntary/placements and so forth...busting a gut on the access... only to find that u got sifted cos your competition had better GCSE grades.

bloody annoying lol

this way you are plugging all and any gaps. oh and yes, it also means that u don't have to wait till next year to get excited. u can be excited this year too!:tongue:
Good luck Lynette, it's great you're returning to education. Never too late :awesome: What were you thinking of doing in the future?
Reply 6
Original post by ashtoreth
tbh lynette, i think u have the right idea by doing the fresh start thingy (not heard of this before now) and putting back the access for the year because education degrees are highly competitive and there can't be anything worse than doing the voluntary/placements and so forth...busting a gut on the access... only to find that u got sifted cos your competition had better GCSE grades.

bloody annoying lol

this way you are plugging all and any gaps. oh and yes, it also means that u don't have to wait till next year to get excited. u can be excited this year too!:tongue:

It's getting on my nerves because I want to be doing something like yesterday lol.
None of my decisions are being made lightly I can tell you! I suppose I'm worrying about everything, one major thing is age!! I know there's no age limit on courses but don't want to get to a position where I 'feel too old'! I don't look my age and I'm very 'young' in mind and sometimes can't believe I'm actually 35!! But hey ho I am and that's that lol

Reply 7
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Good luck Lynette, it's great you're returning to education. Never too late :awesome: What were you thinking of doing in the future?

Thank you :biggrin:

I'm hoping to do do Early years education with qts, eventually!! It's looking like its going to be taking me slightly longer now, which doesn't help when I'm really impatient and want to get started lol :smile:

Original post by Lynetteb35
Thank you :biggrin:

I'm hoping to do do Early years education with qts, eventually!! It's looking like its going to be taking me slightly longer now, which doesn't help when I'm really impatient and want to get started lol :smile:

That sounds great, hope you do really well! Don't worry, bet it'll be here faster than you know :wink:
Reply 9
It's getting on my nerves because I want to be doing something like yesterday lol.
None of my decisions are being made lightly I can tell you! I suppose I'm worrying about everything, one major thing is age!! I know there's no age limit on courses but don't want to get to a position where I 'feel too old'! I don't look my age and I'm very 'young' in mind and sometimes can't believe I'm actually 35!! But hey ho I am and that's that lol

i can still remember how u were registering for access this year, for the next! looool - so yeah, i know u got the urge to be gettin on with it:biggrin:
i think it's a great idea to up your grades at GCSE level tbh. makes your application stronger i'd have thought?

i'm exactly like u regards the age thing. funnily, i feel it more now regardless of what looks back at me in the mirror. as flattering as it is to be seen to appear younger than i am...reality is...:frown:

meh...we're here and i guess we are v far from dead!:colone:
Reply 10
Original post by Alexandra's Box
That sounds great, hope you do really well! Don't worry, bet it'll be here faster than you know :wink:

Thank you! And I hope so :biggrin:

Reply 11
i can still remember how u were registering for access this year, for the next! looool - so yeah, i know u got the urge to be gettin on with it:biggrin:
i think it's a great idea to up your grades at GCSE level tbh. makes your application stronger i'd have thought?

i'm exactly like u regards the age thing. funnily, i feel it more now regardless of what looks back at me in the mirror. as flattering as it is to be seen to appear younger than i am...reality is...:frown:

I know lol. The application is still in for the access so at the min it still stands. Think I might phone universities rather than email and see if I can get any further information from them. I'd rather not 'waste' a year gaining GCSE's if Access equivalents will be 100% acceptable!

Watch this space lol :biggrin:

Reply 12

Oh and age......yep I'm with you on that one. We're here and we have one shot at it!!!! Go for it I say :smile:

I know lol. The application is still in for the access so at the min it still stands. Think I might phone universities rather than email and see if I can get any further information from them. I'd rather not 'waste' a year gaining GCSE's if Access equivalents will be 100% acceptable!

Watch this space lol :biggrin:

if this were me, then yes, i'd fone too! great way of building a relationship and ascertaining what u need. that's not to say an email doesn't do that but, it's way easier to establish rapport with someone when they can 'hear' you.

see what they say regards access eligibility and tbh, for the course u want, u 'should' be ok but, wait n see what the uni's say...however, since u ARE so keen to be doing summat but can't start access till following year, due to your commitments, why not do the fresh start thingy anyway? if u can fit it in this year, then i'd not have said it's a waste to do it?

just my opinion, mind :colondollar:
Reply 14
if this were me, then yes, i'd fone too! great way of building a relationship and ascertaining what u need. that's not to say an email doesn't do that but, it's way easier to establish rapport with someone when they can 'hear' you.

see what they say regards access eligibility and tbh, for the course u want, u 'should' be ok but, wait n see what the uni's say...however, since u ARE so keen to be doing summat but can't start access till following year, due to your commitments, why not do the fresh start thingy anyway? if u can fit it in this year, then i'd not have said it's a waste to do it?

just my opinion, mind :colondollar:

I value everyone's opinions thank you. It's too late to do the fresh start this year so would have to do fresh start 2013 then access 2014 so putting everything back a year.

However I will give universities a call about entry requirements and then take it from there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending