The Student Room Group

Unfairly dismissed from my program and looking to start over new. Any ideas please?

I'm a (now-former?) math/ physics student who was to commence year 4, roughly. I'm a student with disabilities that are well-documented. Sadly, however, during this past year, professors chose to bully, harass, and discriminate against me due to these disabilities. I was called horrendous things too. This is all very well-documented. In fact, the university got associate deans, lawyers (internal and external), a board of directors, and others involved in on this. However, my grades dropped due to all of this, and furthermore, I'd had a few F's during a spring semester that I did not complete due to disability-related hospitalizations. My own associate dean had failed to note that those F's would be reviewed the next time around, so I took difficult courses, and was unable to make the cut above academic probation due to the harassment situations. I forwarded all documents to my own lawyer, but have not sued the school and don't intend to.

Nonetheless, I feel that this was all unfair to me, and the documentation and stuff makes it so that I am not lying about the egregious ways I got treated. Thus, my plan is to change schools, start over fresh, move to Europe to start over new (I'm from Canada), or head to a trade school and get a job that way. At this time, I dropped my fall classes to get a job and to put this behind me. I'm a mature student too, having run small businesses prior to re-commencing studies. I just feel so disheartened that I don't know how to possibly continue here at the university. I've even collapsed, physically, from it all. Please refrain from heartless comments but if you had advice on starting fresh, or if you've been there before, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.
Reply 1
I have no experience of the Canadian system so wouldn't know where to start in terms of challenging all this stuff (if you'd even want to, given all that has gone on).

Over here there would be a lot more open to you in terms of taking these sorts if adverse effects to task.

The issue you'd have with a European institution is funding. Aside from that there is no reason at all to think you couldn't apply, get in, do well at a European institution.
Thank you kindly for your reply!

At long last, it appears that the board of directors has sided in my favour and thus overturned the unfair kickout. That said, semester is already well underway, so I'd already dropped classes by now. As such, I'm still seeking to get out of here. Furthermore, who wants to deal with a school with all this drama and with unfair kickouts happening. I appreciate your response, thank you, and will thoughtfully look into the funding issue you brought up.

(Original post by gjd800)I have no experience of the Canadian system so wouldn't know where to start in terms of challenging all this stuff (if you'd even want to, given all that has gone on).

Over here there would be a lot more open to you in terms of taking these sorts if adverse effects to task.

The issue you'd have with a European institution is funding. Aside from that there is no reason at all to think you couldn't apply, get in, do well at a European institution.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending