The Student Room Group

A Mathematics Degree

Hi guys,

I can't wait until I go to University and find myself researching courses and Universities pretty much everyday, I have some questions and it would be great if you could help me with them! I apologise in advance for the length of this post!

1. As far as I know, the Student Loan does not cover Post Graduate courses. This course lasts 4 years and at the end you get to become a 'Master of Mathematics'.

- Am I right in thinking that from this 4 year course you would get an Undergraduate degree in Maths and a Masters in Maths or am I wrong?

- If you do get a Masters from this course, will you get a Student Loan for the final year seeing as the course itself specifies that it lasts for 4 years?

2. Will the fact that I have a B in GCSE Maths be of huge significance in applying even if I were to get high grades in A-Levels? (A/A*) Obviously it shows you've gotten much better so it shouldn't make a difference right?

3. Lastly, ever since I started self-teaching and taking some private lessons for A-Level Maths I have discovered how much I love it. I was always good in Maths but as soon as I saw Algebra I went like :frown: but this was in my GCSE days and since then I have learned and practiced my Algebra and now I actually love it!

After 3 1/2 weeks I am almost finished with Core 2 and by that I mean I am doing well in Past Papers and I feel like I understand it, especially with the help from my tutor.

- How much of a step up is a degree in Mathematics from A-Level? I will be doing Further Maths too.)

- I don't know people's takes on Naturally Brilliant Mathematicians, I think they definitely exist! :L I am not one of them but after a while I get it, with some practice of course. With a lot of hard work do you think it is possible to get a good grade? Or will those not as brilliant find it tough?

I am really unsure about what career I would like to into, initially I thought, hey Finance is the one! But now, I am also becoming interested in Research, even some Teaching roles as well. It would be extremely helpful if you could answer any of the questions here,

Looking forward to your replies!
Original post by Wiska
Hi guys,

I can't wait until I go to University and find myself researching courses and Universities pretty much everyday, I have some questions and it would be great if you could help me with them! I apologise in advance for the length of this post!

1. As far as I know, the Student Loan does not cover Post Graduate courses. This course lasts 4 years and at the end you get to become a 'Master of Mathematics'.

- Am I right in thinking that from this 4 year course you would get an Undergraduate degree in Maths and a Masters in Maths or am I wrong?

- If you do get a Masters from this course, will you get a Student Loan for the final year seeing as the course itself specifies that it lasts for 4 years?

2. Will the fact that I have a B in GCSE Maths be of huge significance in applying even if I were to get high grades in A-Levels? (A/A*) Obviously it shows you've gotten much better so it shouldn't make a difference right?

3. Lastly, ever since I started self-teaching and taking some private lessons for A-Level Maths I have discovered how much I love it. I was always good in Maths but as soon as I saw Algebra I went like :frown: but this was in my GCSE days and since then I have learned and practiced my Algebra and now I actually love it!

After 3 1/2 weeks I am almost finished with Core 2 and by that I mean I am doing well in Past Papers and I feel like I understand it, especially with the help from my tutor.

- How much of a step up is a degree in Mathematics from A-Level? I will be doing Further Maths too.)

- I don't know people's takes on Naturally Brilliant Mathematicians, I think they definitely exist! :L I am not one of them but after a while I get it, with some practice of course. With a lot of hard work do you think it is possible to get a good grade? Or will those not as brilliant find it tough?

I am really unsure about what career I would like to into, initially I thought, hey Finance is the one! But now, I am also becoming interested in Research, even some Teaching roles as well. It would be extremely helpful if you could answer any of the questions here,

Looking forward to your replies!

The Warwick MMath (what I'm doing probably) is a straight 4 year course which is basically a degree with masters, although you don't end up with a BSc and an MSc, just an MMath, which is just as good! Student finance will cover all 4 years because until you've completed the 4th year you are still technically an "undergrad".

A B in GCSE maths shouldn't be a problem as long as your ASs and predicted grades show you are capable of getting in. Also if you are applying to Warwick have you looked at STEP?

I start my degree next week, but from what I hear it is quite a big step up... My timetable is looking pretty packed with A LOT of completely new concepts.

I don't think I am naturally amazing at maths and I had to put the work in, but I think with the right amount of work and the right quality of work you can get any grade in maths and further maths!

Let me know if you have any more questions (hopefully I can help)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TheIrrational
The Warwick MMath (what I'm doing probably) is a straight 4 year course which is basically a degree with masters, although you don't end up with a BSc and an MSc, just an MMath, which is just as good! Student finance will cover all 4 years because until you've completed the 4th year you are still technically an "undergrad".

A B in GCSE maths shouldn't be a problem as long as your ASs and predicted grades show you are capable of getting in. Also if you are applying to Warwick have you looked at STEP?

I start my degree next week, but from what I hear it is quite a big step up... My timetable is looking pretty packed with A LOT of completely new concepts.

I don't think I am naturally amazing at maths and I had to put the work in, but I think with the right amount of work and the right quality of work you can get any grade in maths and further maths!

Let me know if you have any more questions (hopefully I can help)

IIRC the MMath is just an extended bachelors degree, it doesn't count as a masters.
Good luck with the maths, but I dropped out of a maths course because there was a ton of work, all of it boring. Then again I don't really like maths.
Original post by Daviant
IIRC the MMath is just an extended bachelors degree, it doesn't count as a masters.
Good luck with the maths, but I dropped out of a maths course because there was a ton of work, all of it boring. Then again I don't really like maths.

Oh, I'm mistaken then. I wasn't 100% sure about the MMath, thanks :smile:

Maths is fun ;D
Reply 4
Thank you so much for replying! It is great that you are doing the same course I want and at Warwick too (I LOVE COVENTRY!)

So, the MMath will be equal to a BSc+MSC except it will show as an MMath right? That's actually great news considering how hard some graduates find it to get funding for Post Graduate courses! Great news!

That's really good, the reason why I got a B in Maths is because even when my teachers showed me where I needed to work on I was extremely lazy, I had potential but hardly ever put much effort in homework/ revision, that's why as well as about 3A's I mostly got B's :frown:

Hmm, well, I have just started the Mathematics and I have heard that even those who have done A-Level Mathematics find it hard, is that true? If I were to get As in both Maths and Further Maths would the STEP be important? I want to find out more about them as good results in them really make you stand out as it shows that you can work at a University level.

Although I am not at your level yet all I can say is that it will be okay mate, it was the same whenever we made a step up, A-Levels looked hard when moving from your GCSE's but we get used to it and I am sure you will too, especially considering you got into such a high ranking University for Mathematics! Well done! :biggrin:

Yep me too, I am great with numbers, always have been but when it comes to Algebra and all these formulas I have to stop and think, I am a bit slow at first but through practice I get better :smile:

I already have the equivalent of 3 A-Levels but they are unrelated to Maths, this is why I am self teaching this year :P If it is okay with you could you tell me what other courses you did alongside your Maths at A-Level so I can get an idea? Also, if you did STEP, how did you find it? :O

Lastly, what kind of work experience do you recommend for Maths degrees? Thank you so much again for replying, looking forward to your reply :smile:

EDIT

Aah okay, well what would you recommend? MMath on its own, plus a MSc, or just normal Maths with a MSc? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Regardless of how many A*s you achieve in A-level, when applying to either the University of Cambridge or the University of Warwick you must take the Sixth Term Examination Paper (STEP) as this is designed to evaluate your true aptitude and potential in Mathematics, in a way which an A-level cannot, as the A-level is designed to be accessible to the lowest common denominator. I am not belittling A-level Mathematics, but Cambridge literally say that the STEP is designed for the top 5% or 2% of Mathematicians and is much less dependent on method.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending