The Student Room Group

Recommended reading for MORSE/data science degree

I'm a year 12 student who is currently building up a bank of things to write about in my personal statement and I was wondering if there were any books people would recommend reading for a MORSE/maths based degree.
Original post by Amberm11
I'm a year 12 student who is currently building up a bank of things to write about in my personal statement and I was wondering if there were any books people would recommend reading for a MORSE/maths based degree.

Note: I did not do MORSE for my degrees, but I have studied economics.

I don't know of any books on MORSE/data science suited for casual reading. However, in terms of study text, there are a few that I would recommend for purchase:

Basic Econometrics by Damodar N. Gujarati (recommended read if you are looking to see how stats is used in an economics context)

Essential Mathematics for Economic Analysis by Peter Hammond (one of my favourite books for mathematical economics)

Further Mathematics for Economic Analysis by Sydsaeter, Hammond, Seierstad, and Strom (by other favourite book for mathematical economics)

Books in the Schaum's Outline series (these are usually good introduction books on the cheap for university level maths):
Schaum's Outline of Theory and Problems of Introduction to Mathematical Economics by Edward Thomas Dowling
Schaum's Outline of Mathematics of Finance by Petr Zima and Robert L. Brown

As there are only 3 universities in the country that offer MORSE as an undergrad degree, I think you wouldn't have to look far to find what you need.
On the other hand, data science degrees at undergrad level are aplenty.

With data science, I would mention projects that you did in Python, and any data that you have collated that's modified in a usable form. Unfortunately, I did not learn data science through books so I can't recommend some.
Reply 2
Look at relevant Moocs - short free online courses from Universities - you could do some of these over the summer :
some examples https://www.coursera.org/search?query=math&languages=en

Reading suggestions from Cambridge - good for all Unis - https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/admissions/files/admissions/reading-list.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending