The Student Room Group

a level maths, econ and cs

what sort of degree could a levels in maths, economics and computer science lead to? also how hard is a level computer science if you haven't done it at gcse?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by sunnydelight009
what sort of degree could a levels in maths, economics and computer science lead to? also how hard is a level computer science if you haven't done it at gcse?

I can comment on what degrees that you can do based on the A Levels. I haven't done A Level Computer Science, so I can't say.

A Level maths is the only required subject in your arsenal, so you can apply for degrees that require A Level Maths only. Computer science can sometimes be used as a semi-required subject, but only for IT degrees.

So degrees that only ask for A Level Maths + 2 other subjects include:

Economics and MORSE

Maths and Statistics

Computer science and software engineering

One civil engineering degree in the country (if this still applies)

Finance, financial mathematics, financial engineering, and actuarial science

See: https://www.mathscareers.org.uk/degree-courses-a-level-mathematics/

Then you can apply for degrees that accept A Levels in any subjects:

Anything in business expect for financial mathematics and actuarial science (for obvious reasons)

Law

Anthropology

Archaeology

Sociology and criminology

Most psychology degrees

Some degrees in creative writing and English literature

Nonquantiative economics degrees

Education

Theology

Politics

Philosophy

Linguistics

Agriculture

Some art and design degrees, including architecture

Some geography degrees (usually ones with emphasis on human geography)

Some history degrees

Some nutrition degrees

Film

Game design

Hospitality

Property and urban planning

Journalism

Media studies

Nursing

Paramedic science

Social work

Do note, the only roles that really need degrees are in healthcare/life sciences and academia. You can often get by via degree apprenticeships for teaching, architecture, economics, law, social work, and engineering. Degrees if accredited are potentially useful for roles in journalism, surveying, engineering, marketing, HR, actuary, accounting, but the employer will always care more about your skills and experience.

Quick Reply

Latest