The Student Room Group

DSA non core book definition

Hi. I'm a first year undergrad and as part of my DSA I have an allowance that includes non-core books. As part of my course I need to take 40 credits worth of optional or subsidiary modules. The reason I get the book allowance is because my anxiety makes it hard for me to access the library so I'm allowed to buy the books that other students would just borrow or use the ebook copy.
My question is that can I get reimbursed for the books I need to buy for my subsids, as those who take the optional module wouldn't normally buy the books but my disability means I need to?

EDIT: why the negg? Just trying to understand what my allowances are :s-smilie: I dont want to claim money back for stuff I'm not allowed to and vice versa :s-smilie:
This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
For core and none-core generally the university reading lists mark the books in those categories. If they haven't then you should consider core as the absolute mandatory books e.g. the ones you can't cope without and everything else as none-core.

This rule applies to mandatory and optional units from your course.
Reply 2
Original post by Acei
For core and none-core generally the university reading lists mark the books in those categories. If they haven't then you should consider core as the absolute mandatory books e.g. the ones you can't cope without and everything else as none-core.

This rule applies to mandatory and optional units from your course.

So if its a core book for that module but not for my course I can't get it reimbursed?

Reply 3
Original post by hjradley1
So if its a core book for that module but not for my course I can't get it reimbursed?

Any unit you're doing is considered part of your course even if it's an optional unit so if the book is compulsory to have for the course e.g. all students on it are expected to own the book, then I'm afraid it's considered Core and cannot be reimbursed.
Reply 4
In reality the funding bodies don't know what is a core or non-core book.
Reply 5
Original post by NJones
In reality the funding bodies don't know what is a core or non-core book.

So I can send a claim form off and have a chance of it being reimbursed? She said there's no need to buy it as libraries have it and its available as an ebook

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending