The Student Room Group

Already thinking Uni isn't for me.

I was really looking forward to Uni but so far I just don't feel anything towards it. Most of the time I'm bored out of my skull and really haven't made any friends on my course. There are things on the course which interest me but it's nothing I couldn't do by myself. I'm really conflicted on sticking it out and waiting for it to improve or just dropping out. I'm currently doing Computer Science at Newcastle University. The halls i'm in aren't great and I have to travel in everyday everything I like to do in my spare time is blocked on the network so I when I get back everyday the only to do is sleep. A Degree would be an awesome thing to have but personally my metal state at the moment is just poor.This is kind of a ramble but I just really don't know what to do. Usually if I don't enjoy something after the first couple of days usually I will never like it.So what are people's opinions? Would it be better to tough it out or just drop out if things don't improve? I understand its early days but is it worth wasting peoples time and money doing something I'm not enjoying.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey dude, I'm actually at Newcastle as well. I would give it a little more time, perhaps until later as my old flatmate did and talk it over with parents/friends etc that you have and see what they make of it. They decided by around end of November/December and I feel you should at least give it a little longer, think about things in the longer run and perhaps look around at the modules etc to see if theres parts you are interested in. At the end of the day, saying you can do it in your spare time and actually having the degree are two different things.
What halls are you in? I know the port issue is annoying, gaming was a big pass time for me before I came here but I adapted to the change and just spent a lot more time with flatmates in communal areas/meeting up coursemates every so often. For what its worth you can PM me if you'd like to talk further.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
At least see through one full term? Give it some thought over the Christmas holidays.

There's of course no shame in leaving Uni. You can always come back to Uni later on in your life, it doesn't have to be now if it's not right for you.
Reply 3
I also find it annoying how they block the ports needed for lots of games, but once in private accomodation i assume we won't be on the uni network so we can play things after the first year. also, at the end of the 3 years you should get a degree out of it which could lead to better things than if you dropped out, but as said above it's your decision and others do it too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending