The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

dropping out of open university?

Hi

I'm currently studying at the open university (1st year) and I don't think I can continue doing this much longer. I was pressured into it by my parents cause they were desperate for me to do some kind of course. I thought it was gonna be harder than the stuff I did at school but so far it's all stuff I've already done and it feels like a total waste of time. I don't see the point in redoing stuff I already passed at school. I've also been having problems with my mental health for the last 9 months so sitting on my own for ages isn't great.

How easy is it to quit and should I try to finish anyway? I'm scottish so the SAAS is covering the loan for the first year. If I manage to quit is that money down the drain? I really don't want to waste it. Please help
Reply 1
I am not at Uni yet myself, but my last year of A-Levels. However I stopped going to public school to go to online school and I'll you that is a bad decision. I don't have a social life, I don't go out much. You should think to yourself what would you actually do if you dropped out, would you just laze around for the year doing nothing or do you actually have any plans. If you have plans fair enough, but if you don't you may as well stick it out.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by imbadatnames
Hi

I'm currently studying at the open university (1st year) and I don't think I can continue doing this much longer. I was pressured into it by my parents cause they were desperate for me to do some kind of course. I thought it was gonna be harder than the stuff I did at school but so far it's all stuff I've already done and it feels like a total waste of time. I don't see the point in redoing stuff I already passed at school. I've also been having problems with my mental health for the last 9 months so sitting on my own for ages isn't great.

How easy is it to quit and should I try to finish anyway? I'm scottish so the SAAS is covering the loan for the first year. If I manage to quit is that money down the drain? I really don't want to waste it. Please help

I would really take the time to talk to SST first before dropping out. You might be able to defer without having your student loan go to waste.

Also stage 1 of the course actually does tend to start off easy but the difficulty ramps up in stage 2.
Original post by imbadatnames
Hi

The OU in general, but particularly stage 1, isn't designed for people who've recently left school with Highers etc. They need to cater to students who never studied anything relevant at school and/or haven't studied at all for decades. The training wheels do come off eventually.

Have you considered going to a bricks-and-mortar university? I don't know your exact circumstances but it sounds like a better fit for you.

About SAAS, are you sure you have a loan? You probably have a PTFG. It's separate from full-time funding and doesn't need to be repaid.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #2
The OU in general, but particularly stage 1, isn't designed for people who've recently left school with Highers etc. They need to cater to students who never studied anything relevant at school and/or haven't studied at all for decades. The training wheels do come off eventually.

Have you considered going to a bricks-and-mortar university? I don't know your exact circumstances but it sounds like a better fit for you.

About SAAS, are you sure you have a loan? You probably have a PTFG. It's separate from full-time funding and doesn't need to be repaid.

Thanks for replying! Yeah I realised pretty soon that it's not for me. I hate online studying after covid anyway and yeah I do have a PTFG thanks for reminding me I got confused. I started it partly to keep my family quiet cause they were desperate for me to study something when I had no idea what to do.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest