The Student Room Group

Have I missed out on the uni experience?

I commuted during the first two years and wanna move out for my third year.

I know I can live in a house, but I worry it's never gonna be the same as living on campus/student accommodation. I want to emulate that experience but realise people aren't the same age as me now.

I still have 3 years left of uni. What can I do to emulate the authentic uni experience so i don't have regrets by the end of it?
Reply 1
Define what you mean by "authentic uni experience"
Original post by Anonymous
I commuted during the first two years and wanna move out for my third year.

I know I can live in a house, but I worry it's never gonna be the same as living on campus/student accommodation. I want to emulate that experience but realise people aren't the same age as me now.

I still have 3 years left of uni. What can I do to emulate the authentic uni experience so i don't have regrets by the end of it?

Hey there!
First off, age is never a reason not to do something. I know loads of final year students that are still in student accommodation and if you want to do that then go for it. If you book privately then you can usually see the age and gender of who's already booked into the flat so if you have a preference then that could be helpful for you. Even second years you genuinely wouldn't notice the age difference and there's probably some of them the same age as you who did a gap year. I am currently a second year living with final year students in student accommodation and we barely notice the age difference. We still go out, enjoy a night in and do things together all the time. If you're worried about having regrets then I really suggest you give it a go. If this really isn't for you then I think you should look at joining a society for final year. It would be a great way to make friends and go on nights out with them and get the university experience.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 3
Original post by black tea
Define what you mean by "authentic uni experience"

Its a good question because everyone presents highlight reels on their social media. So its not just the good stuff I am looking for.

I guess meeting lots of people, many of whom will become very close friends that i could move into a house with in subsequent years is how I would summarise it. And also doing things sporadically. Like just crash someones house party on a Friday night I worry if i live in a student house, i will meet a small number of new people but will be confined to the walls of the house; i couldnt' just go to the flat beneath my own and go their house party for example. There wouldn't be any "new" people to do things with because everyone would have already met their friends and will be settled in their own houses by that point. What would be the solutions to this if I did live in a house?
Reply 4
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there!
First off, age is never a reason not to do something. I know loads of final year students that are still in student accommodation and if you want to do that then go for it. If you book privately then you can usually see the age and gender of who's already booked into the flat so if you have a preference then that could be helpful for you. Even second years you genuinely wouldn't notice the age difference and there's probably some of them the same age as you who did a gap year. I am currently a second year living with final year students in student accommodation and we barely notice the age difference. We still go out, enjoy a night in and do things together all the time. If you're worried about having regrets then I really suggest you give it a go. If this really isn't for you then I think you should look at joining a society for final year. It would be a great way to make friends and go on nights out with them and get the university experience.

Hope this helped!

Why would you recomend Halls over a house? Are they significantly different? If so, how? The house i will be moving into is right on a high street where loads of pubs and other students are.
What can I do to emulate the authentic uni experience so i don't have regrets by the end of it?

Join a punk band/play festivals. Straight up

I dunno, I tried college as a teen, but didn't go to uni till my 30's and by that point I was already socially comfortable and past most of my partying, so I was happy just to talk to people superficially and not get too invested in the scene.
Its a good question because everyone presents highlight reels on their social media. So its not just the good stuff I am looking for.

I guess meeting lots of people, many of whom will become very close friends that i could move into a house with in subsequent years is how I would summarise it. And also doing things sporadically. Like just crash someones house party on a Friday night I worry if i live in a student house, i will meet a small number of new people but will be confined to the walls of the house; i couldnt' just go to the flat beneath my own and go their house party for example. There wouldn't be any "new" people to do things with because everyone would have already met their friends and will be settled in their own houses by that point. What would be the solutions to this if I did live in a house?

Why does it matter what other people put on their social media? Why does it matter that your experiences match or even approximate theirs? You've had a university experience. What is wrong with what you've experienced so far?

Also there is functionally no difference between 21 year olds and 18 year olds (or indeed 25 year olds and 18 year olds) at uni in undergraduate degrees. Also there will invariably be quite a few people in first year now older than you are now going into third year. Uni isn't school, there is no age segregation, and nobody will have any idea how old anyone else is unless they are obviously physically aged in appearance, or tell them.
Why would you recomend Halls over a house? Are they significantly different? If so, how? The house i will be moving into is right on a high street where loads of pubs and other students are.

Hey there! Thank you for your response...
I personally felt more of the uni-experience vibes in student halls. I also value my own space and en-suite bathrooms are very difficult to find in student houses for a good price. There's also more of a chance to meet new people than there is in a regular student house. I also like that they collect my parcels for me as I'm out quite a lot. Don't get me wrong student houses are great, I just see them more so as a second year option for when you have a solid group of friends, however I didn't get along with my first year flatmates so couldn't do this. In terms of keeping up friendships and doing things socially then there really isn't that much of a difference. As long as you see yourself as an outgoing person then you should be fine because as you say, the street you're living on is where loads of other students are.

Hope this helped!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending