The Student Room Group

Discrimination at Uni? Who to tell?

I'm having a bit of trouble at Uni & I'm not sure who to turn to. The Uni itself is actually a College that teaches some Uni courses. The staff aren't helpful at all.

Last year I broke my ankles. This was before my interview & I was up front about it with them. Told them how it affects my daily life. Despite this, they still accepted me.

Now, I've asked them for some support - like with finding work experience placements that are suitable for my ankle problems (I get sore standing for long periods of time, I can't walk very far & have a few balance issues). Really, I can work for about 4hrs a day & then I'd like to be able to put my feet up.

Apparently this is not acceptable. I need to have completed 250 hours of work experience by September 2013. I have worked out that if I work roughly 15hrs per week, I will have that done by March at the latest! I need to complete a total of 400 hours, by March I'll be over half way through!!

Now, I need to prove to them (in the form of a timetable/report) that I can complete these hours. They don't believe that 8-15hrs per week is enough. However there are people on the course doing as little as 3hrs per week! They aren't being questioned or asked for more proof! I feel as though I am being singled out.

Instead of offering me support, they've demanded a Drs note (for £20, which I simply don't have) & haven't told me what it's actually for. I'm reluctant to get the note tbh.. They aren't going to give me any support with it anyway. If anything, it will give them ammo to chuck me off! I've had two meetings with the course leader now, both times she's told me that I should just leave the course!

Today she & the course manager questioned what I wanted to do after I've completed the course. I told them that honestly, I didn't know! That wasn't good enough.. I have to think of what I want to do. Ugh. I've spoken to my friends and the majority of the people on the course don't have a long term plan.. So again, why am I being singled out?!

I really don't know what to do. Part of me wants to fight & carry on, but then another part of me is tired & doesn't want to have to fight to stay on a course that I've been accepted on to & I am entitled to.

If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it. Or any more info. I'm not sure if I've been terribly clear. I'm really upset about this whole thing.
this is why i left college, i was constantly singled out and treat badly, other member in my class even complained about the treatment i got but eventually i got kicked out of the course, the college said i could find another course in the college but there was nothing else suitable (the course i was on wasn't even the course i applied for which the cancelled 5 day before the start of college and replaced with a completely different course going from forensic biology to chemistry)

you do need to report it but not to the department, try going above the department to the college or educational board or possibly seek advice externally like citizens advice
Reply 2
Queen
Sorry I really dont understand what you are talking about but what ever it is if you are from UK than queen might help you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending