The Student Room Group

Going to Oxford Uni with ADHD

Hello.

I would like to apply for Oxford university for the academic year starting 2022 however I’m in the process of being referred for an ADHD diagnosis and highly suspect I’ll be diagnosed with the condition (I present with pretty much every symptom).

I was wondering whether being ADHD could positively or negatively impact my application? I know technically it shouldn’t, but in the real world, could it? Would they think that inattentiveness has no place at Oxford do you think?

Thanks
Original post by heididdo
Hello.

I would like to apply for Oxford university for the academic year starting 2022 however I’m in the process of being referred for an ADHD diagnosis and highly suspect I’ll be diagnosed with the condition (I present with pretty much every symptom).

I was wondering whether being ADHD could positively or negatively impact my application? I know technically it shouldn’t, but in the real world, could it? Would they think that inattentiveness has no place at Oxford do you think?

Thanks

If you do get diagnosed, you should include that in your application. There's absolutely no reason for it to count against you. ADHD is considered a disability under the Disability Discrimination Act, so it's unlawful for a university to discriminate against people with ADHD in their admissions process, and they are required to provide support for your learning once there.

Oxford's Disability Advisory Service is there to help, including drawing up a Support Plan, should you feel you need it (even if you don't want this at first, it's advisable to contact them, in case you need help later on). Here's a "fact sheet" I found online https://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxford/field/field_document/AD(H)D%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

And here's the website of the Disability Advisory Service https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/welfare/disability

Good luck with it all!
Reply 2
Original post by heididdo
Hello.

Thanks

Hi, as someone with ADHD (diagnosed 2 years ago) who has been offered a place at Oxford for 2021/22, I can confirm it does not impact you negatively! I was worried that stuff like rambling in the interview (because of my ADHD) would reflect badly on me, but clearly it didn't matter much. If you get diagnosed by the time you apply, do put it on your UCAS form. Telling Oxford might make you eligible for access arrangements in your admissions test and interview so that you aren't at a disadvantage. If you get a place, this will put you through to the Disability Advisory Service (DAS), meaning you could get ADHD support like mentoring, permission to record lectures etc. ADHD also means you are eligible for Disabled Student's Aid (DSA), which is free support from the government like software to help with studying. Of course I worry that having ADHD at Oxford will reflect badly on me and I will struggle more than others, but you have to remember that you are good enough to go and your unique brain gives you an advantage that others don't have. Wish you all the best for your application! Sorry this is so long - you can tell I have ADHD lol.
Heyy, I’m currently a 2nd year at Oxford and I’m also in the process of getting diagnosed with ADHD. Oxford have a Disability Advisory Service which has helped me to get an educational assessment with a psychologist for free so I now get extra time, exam adjustments and a student support plan which is circulated to all my tutors with what they can expect from me regarding deadlines etc and how they can support me. As well as this, they’ve helped me apply for a Disabled Students Allowance and I have a disability adviser and educational professional who are a network that check up on me and help me develop healthy habits and coping mechanisms for my ADHD. Essentially, just a long way of saying don’t worry it won’t affect your application in a negative way at all, if anything the response to my diagnosis has been the fact that I’ve been able to get to where I am today without a diagnosis and support is a huge positive. My experience isn’t unique, even in my college and amongst my friends quite a few of us have ADHD and although it can be difficult sometimes, there is support in place if you’re aware of it. Hope that reassures you a bit!
Reply 4
Greetings - any advice on finding a serious and driven body double for study purposes at Oxford. I have ADHD. Thanks!
Hi folks - any advice on finding a "body double" for studying purposes at Oxford? I'm doing fine... but having a steady and understanding (also someone with ADHD tendencies) would be super useful this upcoming academic year.
This year, I am undergoing an ADHD diagnosis, which was only flagged to me after joining 6th form. I believe this has affected my GCSE grades significantly, as I was achieving 9 grades with a couple of 8's throughout my mid-term exams. However, I found it incredibly hard to maintain focus during external exam conditions, frequently losing focus and zoning out.
I managed to attain 3 grade 9's, 3 grade 8's, 4 grade 7's, and a grade 6, which I don't feel accurately represent my academic capability. Due to new access arrangements made for myself and hopefully starting medication soon, I am applying myself much better to my studies and am predicted A*A*A after my mock examinations.
I am wondering if such circumstances would be taken into consideration during my application, as I don't want my GCSE grades to put me at a disadvantage when applying. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending