The Student Room Group

Referees

Hey everyone, I'm currently in my very first corporate job after graduation (I graduated in Sept 2021). I started the job on January 2022 so I've been here for about 1.5 years now.

I'm planning to resign and apply to other jobs and I plan to get another job in the education sector (admissions, student officer, etc). Most of these places require 2 referees with at least one referee from my current job but I don't feel like telling my managers that I want to resign and currently applying for other jobs because that would make things awkward.

What do you guys do in this kind of situation? I know that we're not able to put any family members or friends so what do you guys usually do?

Thank you!
Original post by flower_heart97
Hey everyone, I'm currently in my very first corporate job after graduation (I graduated in Sept 2021). I started the job on January 2022 so I've been here for about 1.5 years now.

I'm planning to resign and apply to other jobs and I plan to get another job in the education sector (admissions, student officer, etc). Most of these places require 2 referees with at least one referee from my current job but I don't feel like telling my managers that I want to resign and currently applying for other jobs because that would make things awkward.

What do you guys do in this kind of situation? I know that we're not able to put any family members or friends so what do you guys usually do?

Thank you!

Hi! Sol from the University of Suffolk here!

I usually provide one of my academic lecturers as a reference, and then if I don't want to talk to my current employer I pick a referee from another job role that I've had in the past. Have you got any other employers who you worked for in the past who could provide a reference?

However, the best thing to do would be to discuss this with your manager. They can't discriminate against you because you are looking for another job, managers are usually supportive of their colleagues moving onto something new. Try to have a chat with your manager you might be surprised how helpful they are!

It also may be the case that they try to incentivise you to stay, so its a win win situation really!

- Sol (University of Suffolk graduate, and Student Recruitment Officer)
(edited 9 months ago)

Thank you!

First of all, the normal pattern is find another job and then resign. What if it takes you 6 months to get this new job?

If you are currently in a job and are applying for other jobs then you can presume you can put your current employer down as a reference. Just make sure you tick the 'do not contact without permission' box.

For the majority of jobs, references are only taken for the person to whom an offer is made, so you will be resigning at the point the reference is asked for anyway.

Thank you!

Dont resign until you have another job to go to.
With regards to the references, jobs dont get references until they offer you the job, so by the time it comes to getting a reference off your current employer- you will already be going anyway. If you dont want to put your manager down as a reference- is there anyone else at work who you could put down as a reference instead?
You could also ask someone from uni for a reference as well. Or someone from any other jobs you have had.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending