xx
Friend - x
Close friend - xx
Someone I fancy - xxx
0 - I'm replying out of courtesy/you're also a guy
2 - cute girls
3 - girl friends that I've known for a while

then just xxxxxxx when texting my girlfriend
I leave none usually, it just can't be bothered. I hate it when I'm texting someone who likes to leave a lot of kisses, so I have to do the same :facepalm2:
Reply 44
Original post by >Untitled<
I leave none usually, it just can't be bothered. I hate it when I'm texting someone who likes to leave a lot of kisses, so I have to do the same :facepalm2:

It's so much effort, isn't it? I like texting people who don't leave kisses because it feels more like a conversation.
Original post by glousck
It's so much effort, isn't it? I like texting people who don't leave kisses because it feels more like a conversation.

I cant rep! But yes exactly,also I dont type everything in one message if you know what i mean? so its really like an online chat, so i jsut cba with kisses!
Original post by megan.c
Depends on how many the person I'm texting leaves.

But if they've been sending them then seem to be annoyed with something, no xs and a full stop means your in BIG trouble ;P

I used to always just end my texts with a full stop, don't see the problem, that's how you end things when writing. Then one of my friends pulled me up on it on a night out with her friends (me + them). And was like <my name> always ends with a full stop and no x, I don't see why it matters.
But anyway I just do it to people who do it to me now, makes things simpler.

One of my friends was texting this guy and she was trying to figure out patterns etc based on the number, don't think they exist for guys tbh.
Reply 47
Original post by >Untitled<
I cant rep! But yes exactly,also I dont type everything in one message if you know what i mean? so its really like an online chat, so i jsut cba with kisses!

Yeah, when you're having a conversation in detail it's quite annoying to keep leaving kisses...just because I don't leave any it doesn't mean I don't like you I just can't be bothered!

They can be quite useful in short text conversations though, for example

"hey xxx"
"Hey! xxx"
"how are you? xxx"
"good thanks! you? xxx"

sounds more friendly than than
"hey"
"hi"
"how are you"
"good thanks you?"
Reply 48
Original post by Luffy.
I think xx is girl and xy is boy. I think its something in biology.

I love you.
Perhaps when I was about 14, yes.

These days, no. At 22 leaving a string of X's to indicate your level of affection is a tad juvenile. Though one or two can be a little suggestive on occasion, so I guess it has some use at times.
Me and my friends had a theory in which 3 was like winning the lottery :biggrin:
It seemed that if you had 2 you had to invest some more into your flirtous work :wink:
and 1 meaning you were absolutely screwed and had no hope on earth.

Looking back it was an awful system :colondollar:
Reply 51
As a linguist I find it quite interesting that there are national divisions even when it comes to text speak.

The more "simultaneous" the conversation, the less likelihood that kisses will be left. Texting is mostly a non-simultaneous medium because you expect to wait some time before getting a reply, but Facebook chat isn't. The less simultaneous the medium, the more scope there is for including social niceties, because you have more time. This is why you text kisses but you don't do it on chat.

That means the amount of kisses depends not only on the social relationship between you but also the speed of your conversation. If he's in the car or on the run you won't get any kisses, if the conversation is flowing back and forth in real time you'll get less kisses...

I would argue also that kisses mean more with older texters, because they are more conservative/jaded because they have seen it all before. You may simply have an older texter, or a less experienced one, or one who has a personality opposed to putting kisses.

Verbal diarrhoea, I know, but for the record I tend to go with two kisses as a baseline. One is aloof; three is vaguely flirtatious. I also use one for male friends when the text has a social function, when the friend is professed to be a bit gay, or when it's the first time I've texted them in some time. My girlfriend and me tend to put loads, I don't know why it's just an idiosyncrasy which arose.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by Thr33
I love you.

Hey thanks. Are we gonna get married.
It seems to be a habit for me- almost everyone I know does it. It means nothing to me.
Don't think too much about it man.
Original post by gabbiehall
It seems to be a habit for me- almost everyone I know does it. It means nothing to me.
Don't think too much about it man.

Exactly. It really is just a habit, I'm shocked people have systems/hierarchys about it lol I wouldn't think nothing if a man put kisses at the end of his text but saying that the amount of times I've had to stop and delete xs on messages to my boss! (not so professional).

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 55
Some people think to deeply about this.
Reply 56
Original post by Luffy.
Hey thanks. Are we gonna get married.

ASAP.
Reply 57
Original post by theronkinator
I used to always just end my texts with a full stop, don't see the problem, that's how you end things when writing. Then one of my friends pulled me up on it on a night out with her friends (me + them). And was like <my name> always ends with a full stop and no x, I don't see why it matters.
But anyway I just do it to people who do it to me now, makes things simpler.

One of my friends was texting this guy and she was trying to figure out patterns etc based on the number, don't think they exist for guys tbh.

yes but you do it all the time, if someone usually leaves them then decides to end them with none and a full stop it usually means they're pissed off at something

Quick Reply

Latest