The Student Room Group

Going from a C to A in english lit A-level

Hey guys. i’m doing my a level exams in may and my biggest stress is english lit because if i don’t get an A im totally screwed.

my exam board is AQA and i do Gatsby, Handmaids, Streetcar and Othello along with the unseen prose and poems. Honestly Gatsby is the only text i actually get an A in and i’m not sure whether that’s because i actually like the book or i’m really good at hyper analyzing the question or something, i don’t even know my method.

I have started making essay plans based on the big themes of each text which i guess has proven to be helpful?? but i don’t really know how to maximize more marks from band 3 up or what the best online resources are to improve in like 60 days…

any advice would be of much help🙂 thank you!!

Scroll to see replies

I have some Orthello and street car notes if you r interested?
Reply 2
Original post by ebyrne2036
omg that would be so helpful yes please!! T^T
Reply 3

help a girl out xx
If you guys send me a DM, then I can help you a bit more with any resources or anything that I still have
Reply 5
If you guys send me a DM, then I can help you a bit more with any resources or anything that I still have

i’m new to student room how do u do this 🥲🥲
So if you go to the little mail icon at the top of the screen and click new message and then type in my username u should b able to message me. If That doesn’t work just let me know.
Reply 7
So if you go to the little mail icon at the top of the screen and click new message and then type in my username u should b able to message me. If That doesn’t work just let me know.

it says i have to share 3 posts
Yes just do a few more posts on TSR and then u should be able to do it
Reply 9
ok great
hi, im still in year 11 so am of no use haha.
im considering taking lit as an a level but am unsure. i am currently reading gatsby and love it so far. my skl does all the same stuff as u do. overall, how has ur english lit experience been? are the other texts boring? like othello doesnt look too appealing and idk abt the rest. also im worried abt poetyr and whether i would find it super boring or not.
i enjoy reading and writing and analysing in general. should i pick lit?
Original post by takimura
Hey guys. i’m doing my a level exams in may and my biggest stress is english lit because if i don’t get an A im totally screwed.

my exam board is AQA and i do Gatsby, Handmaids, Streetcar and Othello along with the unseen prose and poems. Honestly Gatsby is the only text i actually get an A in and i’m not sure whether that’s because i actually like the book or i’m really good at hyper analyzing the question or something, i don’t even know my method.

I have started making essay plans based on the big themes of each text which i guess has proven to be helpful?? but i don’t really know how to maximize more marks from band 3 up or what the best online resources are to improve in like 60 days…

I've had the exact same issue!! Doing the exact same books as you lol, currently year 13 getting A/B's in lit but got D's in all of year 12 and could hardly write more than 3 sentences in english mock exams. Honestly practicing essays were my most helpful - I did an essay or two a week for around four months, and my teacher marked every single one and gave me feedback (getting feedback was the most helpful, but I understand not every teacher is gonna be able to mark 894230 essays lmao), but honestly essay practice helped me so much, with other revision of course. I found reading around the books was incredibly helpful, and reading articles on them as a form of revision helped a lot. :smile:
Original post by cmeterydrive
I've had the exact same issue!! Doing the exact same books as you lol, currently year 13 getting A/B's in lit but got D's in all of year 12 and could hardly write more than 3 sentences in english mock exams. Honestly practicing essays were my most helpful - I did an essay or two a week for around four months, and my teacher marked every single one and gave me feedback (getting feedback was the most helpful, but I understand not every teacher is gonna be able to mark 894230 essays lmao), but honestly essay practice helped me so much, with other revision of course. I found reading around the books was incredibly helpful, and reading articles on them as a form of revision helped a lot. :smile:
im considering taking lit as one of my a levels. for a better scope into how hard a level lit is, i was wondering what grade you got at gcse? was it an intense subject? is there a ridiculous amount of quotes and stuff to remember? are the texts interesting or boring?
Original post by ismaelishere
im considering taking lit as one of my a levels. for a better scope into how hard a level lit is, i was wondering what grade you got at gcse? was it an intense subject? is there a ridiculous amount of quotes and stuff to remember? are the texts interesting or boring?
I got an 8 in GCSE, but a level lit was a huge jump for me. My school does AQA English Literature B, and for all of the books we study we are given a clean copy of the book in the exam, except for one book which is Othello for Shakespeare, so there isn't much to learn quotes wise. It is quite an intense subject and out of my a levels (my other two being psychology and criminology), english lit is by far the biggest workload. It is fun in the respect that I love the books we study, but it is quite a tiring subject. The texts I do are Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier, The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald, Othello by Shakespeare, a poetry anthology of poems from 1600-1900, The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, A Streetcar Named Desire by Tenesee Williams (my favourite text!), and Feminine Gospels by Carol Ann Duffy. We also have a coursework unit which is 20% of the grade, where we write an essay 2500 words comparing two texts. Your school will either choose both texts, choose one and let you choose the other, or let you choose both, its completely up to the school, but there are restrictions on which books to do. My school chose us to do the picture of dorian gray, and I chose to do The Talented Mr Ripley alongside it. One warning though: On my exam board, paper 1 is 3 hours long!!
I got an 8 in GCSE, but a level lit was a huge jump for me. My school does AQA English Literature B, and for all of the books we study we are given a clean copy of the book in the exam, except for one book which is Othello for Shakespeare, so there isn't much to learn quotes wise. It is quite an intense subject and out of my a levels (my other two being psychology and criminology), english lit is by far the biggest workload. It is fun in the respect that I love the books we study, but it is quite a tiring subject. The texts I do are Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier, The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald, Othello by Shakespeare, a poetry anthology of poems from 1600-1900, The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, A Streetcar Named Desire by Tenesee Williams (my favourite text!), and Feminine Gospels by Carol Ann Duffy. We also have a coursework unit which is 20% of the grade, where we write an essay 2500 words comparing two texts. Your school will either choose both texts, choose one and let you choose the other, or let you choose both, its completely up to the school, but there are restrictions on which books to do. My school chose us to do the picture of dorian gray, and I chose to do The Talented Mr Ripley alongside it. One warning though: On my exam board, paper 1 is 3 hours long!!
my school does AQA B too and basically same texts as u. honesly that seems like a much bigger jump than i anticipated, grade 8 to D is no joke. were there are any text that you found like super boring and unbearable or were they all not too bad? also how many hours of revision did you do per week for english? /per day, anything helps! thank you so much for your help.
Original post by takimura

Hi!

I would say the first thing to do is tell your teacher you would like to improve but you're not sure how! They will be able to grade any past papers or practice questions you're doing (I would do some and take them to your teacher so they can see you're willing to put the work in!)

Also identify which texts you're most familiar with, and prioritise which ones you aren't confident in first, as those will need the most work. Look at some examples of answers that are a B grade and A grade, (again your teacher can help you with this!)

A grade for English Lit is having a really confident use of English writing style, and having a confident grasp of the texts too. You will get there, I would say use this motivation to work really hard until your exams, and don't come at it from a place of fear thinking you'll be in a bad place if you get a C! Rather, think of it as an opportunity to go from a really good starting point at a C and improve as much as possible. You will be brill!
my school does AQA B too and basically same texts as u. honesly that seems like a much bigger jump than i anticipated, grade 8 to D is no joke. were there are any text that you found like super boring and unbearable or were they all not too bad? also how many hours of revision did you do per week for english? /per day, anything helps! thank you so much for your help.
Yeah it was a big jump, although with work I've gotten it up to A/B's so don't be disheartened!! Personally I really enjoy all of the texts, I'd say my least favourite was Rebecca purely because the text does drag a bit, but the stories still really interesting which keeps it going (: In year 12 I have no idea how much I did sorry, but probably not enough lol, since the start of yr13 I've been doing about 5 hours english a week which is what's helped get my grade up, but I was only able to do this as I have A's in my other alevels and could afford to revise for them much less especially as one of them is mostly coursework based, otherwise I wouldn't have done that much at all lol, and of course any more questions ask away <3
Hey. I literally did the same texts as you, and got an A in my English mock exams, predicted A* for the final exams (which I ended up not being able to take due to being hospitalised lol). I’ll talk a bit about Othello, because that was my best one (I once got 100% on an essay). Sorry for the lengthy response, but I got carried away once I started!

In terms of revising, I read in a study guide about a method of using flashcards that I found helpful. You basically put the quote in the middle, then the key themes of the quote at the bottom right, then all of your language analysis points for that quote around it, along with key words you can use when explaining the quote. That was my main method of revision for quotes. Try to pick quotes that you can say a lot about, but that also apply to lots of questions. It’s worth spending time thinking about how you can apply the same quote to multiple questions. Let me give you an example that I used often: the quote

‘She loved me for the dangers I had passed/ And I loved her that she did pity them’

This is a great quote if you know how to fit it to a variety of questions, like so:

1. Gender: parallelism is used in the quote, perhaps demonstrating that Desdemona and Othello both play an equal role in the marriage. On the other hand, there is a juxtaposition between ‘dangers’, associated with masculinity and adventure, and ‘pity’, an emotion associated with femininity, implying they both still conform to traditional gender roles.
2. Race: here you can basically use the same analysis as for gender, but switch the point to being that their equality is important because it shows Othello is not seen as lesser by Desdemona for his race
3. Iago: for some questions about Iago and Othello (for example, ‘is Othello closer to Iago than Desdemona’) this quote could be used as a counter point, to show that he is in fact closer to Desdemona because they have an equal, loving marriage
4. Tragedy: these questions are rarer but if asked whether Desdemona’s death is inevitable, you could use this quote to suggest that it is not inevitable because the start (exposition) of the play shows their marriage to be a happy one.

The same goes for critical quotes (AO5) and for context (AO3), where you should try to focus most of your revision on information that can be used for a variety of questions.

For critics, always use a critic to do something. You should either use them to agree with your point, or disagree with them, or compare them to another critic and then say which you think is the best and give evidence. For example:

When Othello says ‘She loved me for the dangers I had passed’ this shows his devotion to Desdemona, who is described by Phillips as a ‘possession’.

This use of a critic isn’t very effective because 1) the critic doesn’t link clearly to the textual quote and 2) even if it did link, it’s not showing your skills at weighing up arguments (AO2 and AO5)

In Act 1, Shakespeare shows Othello’s marriage to be filled with love, supporting Emma Smith’s argument that this act is a ‘miniature comedy of lovers’. However, Crawford argues that Act 1, scene 3 reveals the ‘weakness’ in their marriage. This is supported by Brabantio’s proclamation to ‘look to [Desdemona] and watch out for her deceit, where the imperative ‘look’ could be seen to foreshadow Othello’s obsession with ‘ocular proof’ later in the play, and show their marriage is already in danger even this early in the play. However, Emma Smith’s argument is ultimately more convincing, as Shakespeare shows Othello’s marriage to be filled with love despite Venetian society’s disbelief in its prospects. This is supported by…

This is a much better attempt, because not only have you supported your use of a critic with evidence, but you have also tied it into a debate. You don’t have to use two critics, but it’s a nice touch if you do get a question where two critics counter each other.

Remember with critics to try to make the quote as small as possible so you don’t have to memorise as much, e.g with the Crawford quote above, we only need ‘weakness’ and then to remember what the quote is about, rather than having to remember a larger quote.

Now a bit about context (AO3). Context is really hard! It’s what I and others at my school struggled with most, so it needs to be in your head during an exam, to make sure you don’t miss it. There are different ways to approach getting marks on this assessment objective, but my approach was to get as specific a context as possible and then link it to a quote. This is because if you link context to a quote then hopefully it will be more relevant to what you’re discussing and fully embedded into your answer. For this reason, I would put the context into the flashcards around the quote I could link it to. Then I would have a separate list of context which I would also revise, so that I had two methods of getting it into my head. Don’t panic if you don’t have a massive list: if the context is good for lots of questions, you’ll end up using the same context most of the time.

You mention in your question that you think perhaps with Gatsby that you get higher marks because you know how to analyse the question. 100% you will increase your marks for the other questions if you do the same for them. Analysing the question involves basically pulling it apart to get out all the suggestions, assumptions and ideas, so it’s a bit like analysing it as if it were a quote from a text. Let me give you an example just in case, although you might be able to just apply what you’re doing with Gatsby to the others.

Let’s take the question:

‘By the end of the play, love and loyalty have been completely destroyed’

At first sight, this is quite a difficult question, and if we didn’t analyse it we might risk rushing into an answer where we simply said ‘yes’ or ‘no’, which wouldn’t be nuanced enough for higher bands. Instead, we want to question every term in the question and write down some of the ideas that this teases out.

Firstly, take ‘by the end of the play’. How could we question this? Well, it could reasonably be argued that love and loyalty have already been destroyed before the final scene, for example by the time Othello starts to be haunted by the ‘Green-eyed monster’, or when he slaps Desdemona. That means we now have the idea that perhaps love and loyalty has been destroyed by somewhere around the middle of the play, rather than the end. However, we can take this further and ask, ‘perhaps it was already destroyed by the start of the play’? After all, this is a play that begins with the betrayal of a father, and from the racist perspective of the Venetians, Desdemona’s betrayal of the racial politics of the time, as well as the gender politics (by secretly marrying without her father’s consent).

Secondly, we have ‘love and loyalty’. This assumes that the two come in a pair, and so, if we didn’t analyse the question, we might only write about them as a pair. However, there is no reason why only one of these can’t have been destroyed, rather than both, or perhaps some other abstract noun entirely. So we might question whether loyalty is destroyed by the start of the play, but love is only destroyed fully at the end, or vice versa. Now obviously we do have to stick to the question and write about love and loyalty. However, if we wanted to quickly say at the end of our paragraph on the start of the play, that loyalty has been destroyed, but love hasn’t yet, we could also very briefly (no more than one sentence since it isn’t in the question) say that perhaps it is really loyalty and the racial hierarchy that have been broken at the start, not love. So we are showing our mastery of the question, and also our creativity by very briefly suggesting other lines of thought that other essays can take further.

Lastly, we have ‘completely destroyed’. Following the same technique, we can ask ‘is it completely destroyed, or only partially?’. Here, we might think of how all the marital love is destroyed by the end, but that Emilia’s platonic love for Desdemona is still strong. We might also wonder whether loyalty can be completely dead when Othello commits suicide partly out of a realisation that his loyalty has been misplaced and he needs to make amends (you could use his symbolic use of himself as a ‘Turk’ here).

So you can see that by analysing the question, there is a lot more than simply agree or disagree. What your thesis will be will depend on your personal opinion on the three questions,

1. Did both love and loyalty get destroyed?
2. When did they get destroyed, if they did?
3. If they did, were they destroyed totally or partially?

Now, I’m assuming since it’s AQA that you have an extract with the question. For the extract you absolutely must remember that you have to generally cover the beginning, middle and end. If you skip the whole first part of the extract, you will stop yourself from getting higher marks. The exam board can be really annoying with this if they include an extract with not very interesting quotes in one part, but most of the time they give pretty good questions. It’s hard to give advice in advance for a difficult extract other than to use some of your revision time to practice just the extract. Print them out, and give yourself however much time you are going to use in the exam for the extract to practise.

Now some general tips, which are important because some examiners are anal and might prioritise these rules over the heart of what you’re saying:

1. Always foreground Shakespeare as the author, by which I mean grammatically Shakespeare should be the subject of the sentence. Don’t write ‘Othello is shown to be’, where it should be ‘Shakespeare presents Othello as’.
2. You might know this, but I’ve noticed that it’s quite easy to forget, so I’ll say it anyway: if you have a quote and want to change a word in the quote to better fit your sentence, use square brackets. Like this: ‘she has deceived [Brabantio], and may thee’. The square brackets replace whatever it is you’re taking out of the quote.
3. Overall, your essay should be half non-extract, half-extract

Hope that helps. Exams are very pressuring, so remember to be kind to yourself.
Reply 18
hi, im still in year 11 so am of no use haha.
im considering taking lit as an a level but am unsure. i am currently reading gatsby and love it so far. my skl does all the same stuff as u do. overall, how has ur english lit experience been? are the other texts boring? like othello doesnt look too appealing and idk abt the rest. also im worried abt poetyr and whether i would find it super boring or not.
i enjoy reading and writing and analysing in general. should i pick lit?
honestly, the experience has been okay…but the teacher really does make the subject unfortunately:frown: for Gatsby and streetcar my english teacher is amazing and offers such an engaging experience for the class, however for othello and handmaids tale with fem gospel it’s a bit..not great XD but as a subject i guess it’s okay? i only took it to do law but it’s definitely helped me with my critical thinking however i excercise that way better in the other subjects i do that im working at A* (sociology and politics) but i think Gatsby is such an amazing book~ and i guess english can be fun :smile:
Reply 19
oh it’s so reassuring knowing someone else is also in my position T^T thank you so much for the advice honestly thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending