The Student Room Group

GCSE English Literature Study Group 2023-2024

:hello: Welcome to the GCSE English Literature Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Specifications

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there!!
I was so excited to see this thread!
Exam board: AQA B
What I love most about the subject: I LOVED coursework and I actually enjoy writing the essays! Oh and I’m a bit of a crime fiction fanatic so I really love the crime side of the spec!
What I find difficult: currently finding memorising quotations and key references a bit difficult but I’m working on it over the next few weeks!

Looking forward to hearing from everyone else! Good luck guys!!
Original post by squemily16
Hi there!!
I was so excited to see this thread!
Exam board: AQA B
What I love most about the subject: I LOVED coursework and I actually enjoy writing the essays! Oh and I’m a bit of a crime fiction fanatic so I really love the crime side of the spec!
What I find difficult: currently finding memorising quotations and key references a bit difficult but I’m working on it over the next few weeks!

Looking forward to hearing from everyone else! Good luck guys!!

Oooh, what kind of crime fiction are you into?

I've always been rubbish at quotes. I found sticky notes and flashcards were a lifesaver!
Reply 3
Any tips for grade 9? I’m being constricted to grade 7
Reply 4
Original post by Pwca
Oooh, what kind of crime fiction are you into?

I've always been rubbish at quotes. I found sticky notes and flashcards were a lifesaver!

Hiya! I’ve made a mistake here - this is the GCSE forum, not the A level one, ooops!! Apologies!
Heyyy
I’m doing aqa english literature
The texts I’m doing are: An Inspector Calls, Love and Relationships poetry, Much Ado About Nothing and Pride and Prejudice
I find this a lot easier than english language but the poetry section I find hardest as i’m not great at comparing two poems. I enjoyed studying Inspector Calls and know quite a few quotes for that and am currently learning about Pride and Prejudice
Original post by agent_duck343
Heyyy
I’m doing aqa english literature
The texts I’m doing are: An Inspector Calls, Love and Relationships poetry, Much Ado About Nothing and Pride and Prejudice
I find this a lot easier than english language but the poetry section I find hardest as i’m not great at comparing two poems. I enjoyed studying Inspector Calls and know quite a few quotes for that and am currently learning about Pride and Prejudice

Hi,
Do you have any good quotes for Pride and Prejudice yet? Our school suddenly decided to change from Jekyll and Hyde to this, and I cannot find many quotes on the internet. x
Hello, thanks for making this thread!

I'm doing AQA english lit: so I'm studying a christmas carol, an inspector calls, L&R poetry + much ado about nothing.
I do enjoy reading and discussing about the texts/poems.
I struggle a bit with starting my paragraphs, but once I get started with writing them I'm able to do them properly.
Original post by stressedchild
Hi,
Do you have any good quotes for Pride and Prejudice yet? Our school suddenly decided to change from Jekyll and Hyde to this, and I cannot find many quotes on the internet. x

Heyyy
I would recommend using Sparknotes for chapter summaries, character analysis and quotes as this saves me all the time. Another one that my teacher told me about is Course Hero which has all the same stuff as sparknotes but also has helpful infographics and quotes
Hope this helps xx
Original post by agent_duck343
Heyyy
I would recommend using Sparknotes for chapter summaries, character analysis and quotes as this saves me all the time. Another one that my teacher told me about is Course Hero which has all the same stuff as sparknotes but also has helpful infographics and quotes
Hope this helps xx

Thank you so much! This helps a lot! xx
Original post by dmedz
Any tips for grade 9? I’m being constricted to grade 7

https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/English-Literature/GCSE/Notes/AQA/Macbeth/Exam-Preparation/How%20to%20plan%20and%20write%20a%20top%20mark%20essay%20.pdf

This document got me a 9 in my English lit GCSE. Basically outlines exactly how to structure your essays and everything to include in order to hit all the AOs, couldn’t recommend it more
I need hepl pease
Original post by Ezeokoyechisom
I need hepl pease

Hi, what are you stuck on?
hi
i am studying AQA ,power and conflict, macbeth and blood brothers
i am aiming for higher grades and am kinda struggling to revise. i dont have a problem memorising quotes but is there any way to actually revise as i am just currently doing past papers
thanks!
Reply 14
anyone do eduqas exam board here??
Reply 15
Hiii I do AQA: Macbeth, An Inspector Calls and A Christmas Carol, and Power and Conflict

I wonder what poem they'll have for this years exams, like is it gonna be war or an identity poem? ig we'll see. I kinda hope its not the war poems coz i DO NOT like them😭
Reply 16
I don’t like any poems tbh. I do blood brothers, Christmas carol and Macbeth so I can get my marks there ig

Original post by Fatima.8
Hiii I do AQA: Macbeth, An Inspector Calls and A Christmas Carol, and Power and Conflict

I wonder what poem they'll have for this years exams, like is it gonna be war or an identity poem? ig we'll see. I kinda hope its not the war poems coz i DO NOT like them😭
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 17
Original post by 12ftg
I don’t like any poems tbh. I do blood brothers, Christmas carol and Macbeth so I can get my marks there ig

Yeah I think they're very boring and too much context Tbh, coz for every single one you need to know the context behind it and generally I find poetry dry compared to the books but ig we still have to study it

I hate the unseen part though coz that's even worse - atleast for the anthology you know the poems b4 hand 🫣*
Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the GCSE English Literature Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Specifications

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

Hi, so I do AQA as my exam board, and my texts are Macbeth, A Christmas Carol and an Inspector Calls, and for poetry, I do Power n Conflict. I'm extremely nervous for my English mocks and real thing- are there any yr 11's or even a-level students who are aiming for 8's and 9's and can help me out, with basic revision, and what the exam board would like to see? Ty in advance xx
Reply 19
Hi i do the edexcel board and the texts i have done are Macbeth, Lord of the flies and dr Jekyll and my Hyde.
Currently have my mocks soon and i am currently predicted 5 for lit but i want to aim higher any tips???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending