The Student Room Group

To what extent is paraphrasing acceptable?

So I've just realised that I've slightly misquoted something from A Christmas Carol in my English Mock exam, I said "Scrooge liked darkness" and the actual quote was "Darkness is cheap, and Scrooge liked it". Considering I'm trying to get a 9 in English Lit, how much would this hinder my marks? I only realised I did this today and it's a real cause for concern to me.
No it wouldn’t hinder you to paraphrase because they expect you to know the exact quote but if you did lose marks, I think you’ll lose a only a little amount of marks because the meaning is somewhat wrong and correct.
Reply 2
Original post by Sir_Sharky
So I've just realised that I've slightly misquoted something from A Christmas Carol in my English Mock exam, I said "Scrooge liked darkness" and the actual quote was "Darkness is cheap, and Scrooge liked it". Considering I'm trying to get a 9 in English Lit, how much would this hinder my marks? I only realised I did this today and it's a real cause for concern to me.

How did it affect you two years on wards did they give you less marks for misquoting because I too have done the same mistake in my current GCSEs
Reply 3
Original post by Sir21
How did it affect you two years on wards did they give you less marks for misquoting because I too have done the same mistake in my current GCSEs

Well, it's important to note that my year group ended up with TAGs, however, I ended up with 9s in both lang and lit in the end so clearly it didn't seem to mess my marks up massively, but also our grades weren't based purely off of our mocks. I wouldn't worry too much, positive marking is a thing and will be emphasised this year the most out of any. Besides, the mark scheme stresses "references to the text" so you might still be alright, that being said, if you've analysed words that aren't in the text or actual quote then I don't expect you'll be rewarded for it unless the examiner isn't familiar with the quote and it sounds believable.
Reply 4
Original post by Sir_Sharky

no you would get deducted points and get a U for lack of knowledge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending