The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Any predictions on grade boundaries? I need to get a B on this paper I don't think I've done it! The multiple choice question was about amount of grams of something? And it had like 342 or 178 or something else anyone know the answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 181
Do you always need to get above 240 ums in a2 and as to get an A or does scaling take place depending on hardness of exam . I am an international student and my tutor says you always need above 240 ums in each a2 and as! I am so confused somebody please put me out of misery!!
Original post by betsickles
Oh so I was right :biggrin: wahoooo that makes me feel better, that's what I did for the mechanism but because it said unstable I wasn't sure!! The question about why the different type of molecule was less react than phenol what did you put? It was a 4 marker

Posted from TSR Mobile

The lone pair of electrons on the oxygen atom in phenol is drawn into the benzene ring, which increases the electron density in the delocalised ring, hence phenol is more susceptible to electrophillic attack, hence faster reactions. I put for the other molecule that methoxy group (i think that was it, forgot) draws electron density away from the benzene ring, hence making it less susceptible to electrophillic attack.
Original post by abspot
Do you always need to get above 240 ums in a2 and as to get an A or does scaling take place depending on hardness of exam . I am an international student and my tutor says you always need above 240 ums in each a2 and as! I am so confused somebody please put me out of misery!!

No, they add up your ums from A2 and AS.

For just AS only, 240ums is needed for an A.
For just A2 only, 240ums is needed for an A.

They add up your ums, so you need 480 ums in total from the entire A-level to get your A overall.

The marks get scaled to ums, but ums boundaries always stay the same. It's the grade boundaries that can change from each exam (depending on how easy or hard it is)
Any predictions on grade boundaries? I need to get a B on this paper I don't think I've done it! The multiple choice question was about amount of grams of something? And it had like 342 or 178 or something else anyone know the answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put the highest number, 342 I think.
Reply 185
Original post by James A
Something like 98%, it was a trick question, because you had to work out the moles of iodine that reacted.

Remember the sodium thiosulfate only reacted with the remaining iodine once the reaction between absorbic acid and iodine had finished. Iodine was in excess remember.

Wow, this is probably like the only q I got right in the whole paper :biggrin:. I am not going to read the rest of the posts, becasue I am sure I will see I made a ****load of mistakes. What was your opinion of the paper? And dont say easy lol.
Reply 186

I cant believe that paper. The hardest one imo, out of all the new spec ones. How was it for you?
Original post by Warlord
Wow, this is probably like the only q I got right in the whole paper :biggrin:. I am not going to read the rest of the posts, becasue I am sure I will see I made a ****load of mistakes. What was your opinion of the paper? And dont say easy lol.

Only hard parts were the copper question. Apart from that, the rest of the paper was the usual difficulty of recent unit 5 papers.
Reply 188
Original post by James A
Only hard parts were the copper question. Apart from that, the rest of the paper was the usual difficulty of recent unit 5 papers.

That was 22 marks. So what do you think about grade boundaries? You think you got 103?
Reply 189
Original post by James A
No, they add up your ums from A2 and AS.

For just AS only, 240ums is needed for an A.
For just A2 only, 240ums is needed for an A.

They add up your ums, so you need 480 ums in total from the entire A-level to get your A overall.

The marks get scaled to ums, but ums boundaries always stay the same. It's the grade boundaries that can change from each exam (depending on how easy or hard it is)

thanks alot !!
Original post by Warlord
That was 22 marks. So what do you think about grade boundaries? You think you got 103?

If the grade boundaries are lower than usual, I reckon that it will be in the 100's, that's only IF the grade boundaries are lower.
Reply 191
Original post by James A
If the grade boundaries are lower than usual, I reckon that it will be in the 100's, that's only IF the grade boundaries are lower.

June was 67 for an A. This will be lower imo. Well, hope you get your A James, good luck.
Original post by Warlord
June was 67 for an A. This will be lower imo. Well, hope you get your A James, good luck.

How did you find the rest of the paper though?

I must admit, I got put off by the new font in the questions, did anyone notice that too?
Reply 193
What did you guys write about the very last question where they asked why the cis form of the molecule forms that particular molecule in the previous question and not a polymer chain ..? Was it something to do about the kinks and strains on bonds making them unable to form chains.. cause that's my guess..
Original post by Warlord
I cant believe that paper. The hardest one imo, out of all the new spec ones. How was it for you?

I probably got 10/22 for the copper question at most! Lol. But I really liked the multiple choice, so I would say 16-18 / 20 for that hopefully. It wasn't brilliant! I hope I will have done enough, but as there are less of us who have done it less people to do worse than me. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lipton600
What did you guys write about the very last question where they asked why the cis form of the molecule forms that particular molecule in the previous question and not a polymer chain ..? Was it something to do about the kinks and strains on bonds making them unable to form chains.. cause that's my guess..

Oh yeah that was a 2 marker.. No sea what I put, something about being on the same side or something hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 196
Original post by James A
How did you find the rest of the paper though?

I must admit, I got put off by the new font in the questions, did anyone notice that too?

Dont know, I think the copper q affected everything else, it made me panic a bit and hence I think the rest of the paper may have suffered as a result. Mcqs were ok, section C was meh, ,B was annoying.
Reply 197
live chat
HERE
Reply 198
Original post by James A
Something like 98%, it was a trick question, because you had to work out the moles of iodine that reacted.

Remember the sodium thiosulfate only reacted with the remaining iodine once the reaction between absorbic acid and iodine had finished. Iodine was in excess remember.

How do you work out the moles of reacted iodine. They hadn't given the excess iodine used right.
Reply 199
I got like 31% but you should get most of marks for method I hope :smile: but I didn't get it right!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How much was the calculation out of

Latest

Trending

Trending