The Student Room Group

Career Prospects for a Physics Graduate

Career Prospects for a Physics Graduate - What are they?

In short, what do the majority of Physics graduates go on to do in terms of a career?

In 5 years time will Physics graduates be employeable?

And thirdly, I have another question. For the majority of University Physics departments, would I be at a dis-advantage applying to Physics with only AS Maths and no A-level Maths.

Currently I'm thinking of doing AS maths next year, I did not take on maths this year, however I'm thinking of Physics as a degree and I'm wondering should I do it (AS subjects - Physics, Biology, ICT, Chemistry)

If that makes any sense at all :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Inkerman
Career Prospects for a Physics Graduate - What are they?

In short, what do the majority of Physics graduates go on to do in terms of a career?

In 5 years time will Physics graduates be employeable?

And thirdly, I have another question. For the majority of University Physics departments, would I be at a dis-advantage applying to Physics with only AS Maths and no A-level Maths.

Currently I'm thinking of doing AS maths next year, I did not take on maths this year, however I'm thinking of Physics as a degree and I'm wondering should I do it (AS subjects - Physics, Biology, ICT, Chemistry)

If that makes any sense at all :confused:

Lots, obviously research/education, possible transfers into law/business/engineering, lots go into management consultancy or finance, etc

Should still be employable in 5 years.

You should definitely do full maths a-level as it will be a disadvantage and for all my choices i'm fairly sure it was a requirement
Reply 2
Is transfering to engineering easy after doing a physics degree? Do they have to train you up, and if so, how long does that take?
Reply 3
That is really crap, I do NOT want to have to do a WHOLE A-LEVEL next year.
I'm already taking three heavy subjects on next year (Phy/Bio/Chem)

P.S - If I were to take a NatSci degree could I convert it to a Physics one?
Reply 4
Not sure about other NatSci courses but Cambridge require A-level Maths for the Physical Sciences
Reply 5
Its not really possible to do a physics degree without a maths A Level. Physics at degree level is pretty much mostly maths. I think there are some universities which have a introductory year or something for people ithout a level maths.
Reply 6
Inkerman

In short: If you want a good physics degree from a good university you will need A Level maths. I think I saw Keele don't requre it.

Maths was a requirement of my NatSci offer at Durham because my PS was Physics based and the maths course you take at Durham in physics requires a C at A Level.

What grades are you looking at in other subjects? Most unis requiring over BBB will require maths AND physics at A Level. Sorry.

You could apply for Physics with foundation year but you will probably get bored of it since you already have A Level physics.
Take a gap year and do the maths then if needed.
Reply 8
There are virtually no good jobs available to physics graduates, I'm sure of it ;_; I'm really regretting choosing physics now =(

Yes, every university I have applied to has asked for a full maths A level. You will definately be at a dissadvantage =( I would drop chemistry :smile: thats what I did ^-^
Talya
In short: If you want a good physics degree from a good university you will need A Level maths. I think I saw Keele don't requre it.

Maths was a requirement of my NatSci offer at Durham because my PS was Physics based and the maths course you take at Durham in physics requires a C at A Level.

What grades are you looking at in other subjects? Most unis requiring over BBB will require maths AND physics at A Level. Sorry.

You could apply for Physics with foundation year but you will probably get bored of it since you already have A Level physics.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/prospectus/nsci/

Isn't it A?
Jess_Sedai
There are virtually no good jobs available to physics graduates, I'm sure of it ;_; I'm really regretting choosing physics now =(

Yes, every university I have applied to has asked for a full maths A level. You will definately be at a dissadvantage =( I would drop chemistry :smile: thats what I did ^-^

That's a load of rubbish. Physics graduates are highly sought after.
Reply 11
Widowmaker
That's a load of rubbish. Physics graduates are highly sought after.

Ah, you name 3 good and interesting jobs that you need a physics degree to get then.
Reply 12

I am talking about the Single Maths A and B course you take within the Physics degree. You need at least a C to take this course. Though the Core Maths double module you could take instead requires an A to do.

Durham's offers are AAA/AAB though because the course is popular, not because you can't do the content without an A.
Reply 13
Jess_Sedai
Ah, you name 3 good and interesting jobs that you need a physics degree to get then.

Working in Research and development for a company such as BAE Systems, Medical Physicist, and Geophysicist.
Reply 14
Talya

I personally spoke to the head of admissions for the NatSci course at Durham, 1 WEEK AGO. He said Maths was not a requirement at all. So to begin with, you don't know your stuff. He did say however that maths was a requirement for any pure physics course at Durham.
Jess_Sedai
Very few degrees led directly to a job and physics isn't so vocational as law but it gives you a very wide set of skills which are highly desirable in a large number of jobs. Namely mathematical analysis.
Talya
I am talking about the Single Maths A and B course you take within the Physics degree. You need at least a C to take this course. Though the Core Maths double module you could take instead requires an A to do.

Durham's offers are AAA/AAB though because the course is popular, not because you can't do the content without an A.

Ah okay, thanks for the clarification.
(Although over time, if a particular course is attracting AAA candidates, the difficulty will change as a result in my opinion)
Reply 17
Maya
Working in Research and development for a company such as BAE Systems, Medical Physicist, and Geophysicist.

Fair enough. Can't argue with that, I guess =)
Jess_Sedai
Fair enough. Can't argue with that, I guess =)

Someone I know (a friend of a friend) got a 1st from warwick and he's got a £35k starting salary at an engineering firm.
Reply 19
Inkerman
I personally spoke to the head of admissions for the NatSci course at Durham, 1 WEEK AGO. He said Maths was not a requirement at all.

I said, that if your PS was Physics orientated and you applied for NatSci your offer would definitely be AAA and if you were taking maths it would be included in your offer. I sincerely doubt they'd let you do Physics modules in NatSci if you didn't have A Levels maths though considering for even the first Physics module (at Durham anyway) you need A or AS maths (Source: http://www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook/module_description.php?module_code=PHYS1122)

You'll also note that a corequisite of that course is Single Maths A, which requires a C at A Level Maths so...

Latest

Trending

Trending