The Student Room Group

mechanical engineering or economics

i am doing alevel math econ physics and am in yr 13. i was wondering if i got aaa is it better to go into econ or mechanical engineering mainly thinking about career prospects
Original post by ramare23
i am doing alevel math econ physics and am in yr 13. i was wondering if i got aaa is it better to go into econ or mechanical engineering mainly thinking about career prospects

What kind of careers are you interested in?

Depends what you are interested in.

Id say from a fiscal perspective the top end salary of economics is higher then mechanical engineering but the average engineer is probably in better position then the average economics graduate. Id also suspect engineering job market is more stable. Id go with your interests.
Reply 3
Original post by mnot
Depends what you are interested in.

Id say from a fiscal perspective the top end salary of economics is higher then mechanical engineering but the average engineer is probably in better position then the average economics graduate. Id also suspect engineering job market is more stable. Id go with your interests.

ah i see, i am interested in both fields so was just thinking from a grades pov because i have heard econ is a very applied to degree
ah i see, i am interested in both fields so was just thinking from a grades pov because i have heard econ is a very applied to degree

Top economics programs, i.e. Oxbridge/lse/ucl/notts/Warwick/Durham etc. are competitive and require excellent A-levels as they are oversubscribed to programs (mostly with people who want to go work for a bank).

The non-target universities are far less competitive for econ.

TBH it’s not to dissimilar in engineering where the schools which have the strongest reputations require strong grades in the right subjects but the less prestigious institutions are far easier and flexible. One thing with engineering is industry is far less narrow (as engineering really encompasses many industries) as such you get a lot of institutions which might be fairly average in engineering overall but do very well in one specific industry.
Reply 5
Original post by mnot
Top economics programs, i.e. Oxbridge/lse/ucl/notts/Warwick/Durham etc. are competitive and require excellent A-levels as they are oversubscribed to programs (mostly with people who want to go work for a bank).

The non-target universities are far less competitive for econ.

TBH it’s not to dissimilar in engineering where the schools which have the strongest reputations require strong grades in the right subjects but the less prestigious institutions are far easier and flexible. One thing with engineering is industry is far less narrow (as engineering really encompasses many industries) as such you get a lot of institutions which might be fairly average in engineering overall but do very well in one specific industry.

oh thats new information since most people have told me economics is a more wide degree in terms of jobs you can get after compared to mechanical engineering
oh thats new information since most people have told me economics is a more wide degree in terms of jobs you can get after compared to mechanical engineering

Id say exactly opposite.

Engineering is one of the most well known degrees for flexibility. Economics is actually quite narrow, most people do it as they want to work in financial services of which front office roles are very very competitive.

There are very big corporate finance industry, accounting & audit industries, where a lot of economic ms graduates go however often times these graduate roles are non-degree specific so theoretically engineering students are also open to applying to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending