The Student Room Group

Business studies unit 3 and 4 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jl779
I think its slightly more geared towards Role culture as power culture is more common for soletraders or newer businesses however there are definite aspects of both used. So do you think we could mention that its a mixture of both if the question was to come up?

I think you would be given marks for any culture you classify superdry into as long as you give valid reasons why you think so. In the June 2012 paper, the markscheme for the question about Toyota's culture states that Toyota can be classified as person, task or even role culture!

Could you post an answer for any possible 20/30 marker question about superdry, if you don't mind? I am unsure how to write answers for such questions, so it would be very helpful :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by ezioaudi77
I think you would be given marks for any culture you classify superdry into as long as you give valid reasons why you think so. In the June 2012 paper, the markscheme for the question about Toyota's culture states that Toyota can be classified as person, task or even role culture!

Could you post an answer for any possible 20/30 marker question about superdry, if you don't mind? I am unsure how to write answers for such questions, so it would be very helpful :smile:

i havent actually wrote any answers yet! i've left all of this revision a bit last minute. but i do written several for Toyota for last years Unit 4 so i can tell you the format i used.

i firstly look at the question and starting making some quick notes so first i look for a business term i could define, advantages, disadvantages, and the if its overall good/bad for superdry. Then i'd look over the case study and find information to support my points, then think about any models such as Porters Generic Strategies etc.

For different questions there are different models that can be applied to them:
- Strategy - porter's generic strategies
- Marketing strategy/growth - ansoff's matrix
- External effects contingency planning - porters five forces
- Product analysis - Boston matrix
- Investment - investment appraisal techniques
- Decision trees/CPA

Introduction - definition of a business term related to the question, answer the question briefly i.e if its good or bad for superdry. (don't go into too much detail)
Middle - This is where you weigh up the pro's and cons and link to the case study and any possible business models that could be helpful (mentioned above)
Conclusion - Put in your final decision, if you think it'll be good or bad for Superdry but always mention that your decision was reached using insufficient evidence, and that Superdry should use more information before making a definite decision.

Hope this helped!!
Reply 22
Original post by jl779
i havent actually wrote any answers yet! i've left all of this revision a bit last minute. but i do written several for Toyota for last years Unit 4 so i can tell you the format i used.

i firstly look at the question and starting making some quick notes so first i look for a business term i could define, advantages, disadvantages, and the if its overall good/bad for superdry. Then i'd look over the case study and find information to support my points, then think about any models such as Porters Generic Strategies etc.

For different questions there are different models that can be applied to them:
- Strategy - porter's generic strategies
- Marketing strategy/growth - ansoff's matrix
- External effects contingency planning - porters five forces
- Product analysis - Boston matrix
- Investment - investment appraisal techniques
- Decision trees/CPA

Introduction - definition of a business term related to the question, answer the question briefly i.e if its good or bad for superdry. (don't go into too much detail)
Middle - This is where you weigh up the pro's and cons and link to the case study and any possible business models that could be helpful (mentioned above)
Conclusion - Put in your final decision, if you think it'll be good or bad for Superdry but always mention that your decision was reached using insufficient evidence, and that Superdry should use more information before making a definite decision.

Hope this helped!!

Thank you so much!!! :adore:

So always a 20/30 marker will be made in such a way that one of these models can be applied? That might help to expand the content of the answer as well, because when I feel my 30 marker would not be complete, I waste time trying to fill it with more analysis. That said how many "points" and "evaluative comments" would you write for the 30 marker?
Reply 23
Thank you so much!!! :adore:

So always a 20/30 marker will be made in such a way that one of these models can be applied? That might help to expand the content of the answer as well, because when I feel my 30 marker would not be complete, I waste time trying to fill it with more analysis. That said how many "points" and "evaluative comments" would you write for the 30 marker?

Im pretty sure that its mostly the 30 markers which link to one of the models.

Id say for the 20 markers, about 2 points then evaluate each of those points and throw in info on the case study, . I think that should give you a good enough answer.
Then for a 30 marker, follow the same structure but then throw in information about one of the models
Reply 24
Original post by jl779
Im pretty sure that its mostly the 30 markers which link to one of the models.

Id say for the 20 markers, about 2 points then evaluate each of those points and throw in info on the case study, . I think that should give you a good enough answer.
Then for a 30 marker, follow the same structure but then throw in information about one of the models

For 8 markers, I write 2 points + evaluation each :tongue: So I definitely have to write more points or expand through analysis for the higher marks.

Is this your final exam?
Reply 25
For 8 markers, I write 2 points + evaluation each :tongue: So I definitely have to write more points or expand through analysis for the higher marks.

Is this your final exam?

oh okay! haha different techniques i guess :P

yeah last one!! woohooo! i had to resit this unit, and then one unit for Psychology
have you done the unit 3 exam?
Reply 26
Original post by jl779
oh okay! haha different techniques i guess :P

yeah last one!! woohooo! i had to resit this unit, and then one unit for Psychology
have you done the unit 3 exam?

I still have C4 left after this...

Yeah I did it this time. Questions were a bit strange but managed most of it :smile: wbu?
Reply 27
I still have C4 left after this...

Yeah I did it this time. Questions were a bit strange but managed most of it :smile: wbu?

good luck for C4!! :smile: nope ive just done unit 4, managed to get a B in all the other units so trying to average it out to be a b :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by jl779
good luck for C4!! :smile: nope ive just done unit 4, managed to get a B in all the other units so trying to average it out to be a b :smile:

Thanks and hope you did your psch exam well! Why aim for B, when you can aim for A/A*? :biggrin:

Also, for unit 4, the effects on corporate culture or strategy by acquisitions can come up, as it is mentioned in both evidence D and E.
Reply 29
Thanks and hope you did your psch exam well! Why aim for B, when you can aim for A/A*? :biggrin:

Also, for unit 4, the effects on corporate culture or strategy by acquisitions can come up, as it is mentioned in both evidence D and E.

thank you! hahaa im afraid its impossible for me but oh well :P
ooo perfect!! thank you :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by jl779
X

hey, what notes do you use to revise? I find that my notes do not provide what is questioned in the papers and that my content is not relevant :frown:
Reply 31
hey, what notes do you use to revise? I find that my notes do not provide what is questioned in the papers and that my content is not relevant :frown:

I use my notes from class. I'm sure it is all relevant, it might just be pre-exam jitters! haha
Reply 32
Original post by jl779
I use my notes from class. I'm sure it is all relevant, it might just be pre-exam jitters! haha

Yeah I guess so. I feel so unprepared for this :frown:

Do you know what MOPS is?
Reply 33
Yeah I guess so. I feel so unprepared for this :frown:

Do you know what MOPS is?

Itll be okay, as long as you evaluate most things, expand them and link to Superdry youll be fine :smile:
uuhh it sounds familiar but i cant think what it is? hahah where did you see that?
Reply 34
Original post by jl779
Itll be okay, as long as you evaluate most things, expand them and link to Superdry youll be fine :smile:
uuhh it sounds familiar but i cant think what it is? hahah where did you see that?

I saw MOPS in a markscheme, something to do with writing conclusions...

Do you know what Superdry's cash cows, dogs, etc.. are? Or is Superdry a cash cow of SuperGroup and Cult a dog? :confused:

P.S. This is interesting http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2012-07-13/news/32663901_1_reliance-brands-darshan-mehta-iconix-brand-group
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
I saw MOPS in a markscheme, something to do with writing conclusions...

Do you know what Superdry's cash cows, dogs, etc.. are? Or is Superdry a cash cow of SuperGroup and Cult a dog? :confused:

P.S. This is interesting http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2012-07-13/news/32663901_1_reliance-brands-darshan-mehta-iconix-brand-group

MOPS stands for Marketing, Objectives, Product and Situation heres a link with some examples for last years case study.
https://sites.google.com/site/edexcelbusinessstudies/home/business-studies---unit-4/-50-how-to-insert-mops-in-decision-report

Thats a very good point about the Boston Matrix i havent actually linked that to Supergroup yet, do you think itll come up?
Reply 36
Original post by jl779
MOPS stands for Marketing, Objectives, Product and Situation heres a link with some examples for last years case study.
https://sites.google.com/site/edexcelbusinessstudies/home/business-studies---unit-4/-50-how-to-insert-mops-in-decision-report

Thats a very good point about the Boston Matrix i havent actually linked that to Supergroup yet, do you think itll come up?

That was the only link I found helpful when I googled it. Thanks anyway :smile:

Wouldn't hurt to try I guess, you can link almost topic to your answer for the 30 marker, according to markschemes.

What sort of questions can they ask from Evidence C (internet growth) and F(unique and continually evolving brand)? Don't have much idea about superdry since I'm not from the UK :tongue:
Reply 37
That was the only link I found helpful when I googled it. Thanks anyway :smile:

Wouldn't hurt to try I guess, you can link almost topic to your answer for the 30 marker, according to markschemes.

What sort of questions can they ask from Evidence C (internet growth) and F(unique and continually evolving brand)? Don't have much idea about superdry since I'm not from the UK :tongue:

For evidence F you could like it to Ansoff's matrix as it can be seen as product development as their constantly adding in new graphics to their tshirts and adding in new lines such as womenswear etc. So yeah you could say they're constantly doing that in order to keep up with trends and competitors.

Evidence C im a bit stuck on as well, it may be linked to a question on growth as its showing how their opening new stores in the UK so they may introduce information for the rest of the world. and as for the internet growth, that could be linked to Ansoff's matrix as its market development i guess? since theyre hoping to boost e-commerce in China and Australia etc.
Reply 38
Original post by jl779
For evidence F you could like it to Ansoff's matrix as it can be seen as product development as their constantly adding in new graphics to their tshirts and adding in new lines such as womenswear etc. So yeah you could say they're constantly doing that in order to keep up with trends and competitors.

Evidence C im a bit stuck on as well, it may be linked to a question on growth as its showing how their opening new stores in the UK so they may introduce information for the rest of the world. and as for the internet growth, that could be linked to Ansoff's matrix as its market development i guess? since theyre hoping to boost e-commerce in China and Australia etc.

Ansoff is going to be huge in this paper (or june) I guess.

Doing final revision now.
Reply 39
Original post by jl779
x

Thank you for analysing the case with me and providing additional pointers and tips along the way :smile: I still feel a bit unprepared, and I hope everything goes well tomorrow.

Good luck tomorrow, hope you meet your target :wink:

And good luck to everyone else as well who are taking this exam!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending