The Student Room Group

Leave of absence finance

Hi,

Currently I'm studying in my second year of university. Unfortunately since returning to university I have been suffering from severe medical problems which has resulted in a considerable period of absence. The university has been very supportive but in the end attendance is essential so the university and I have agreed that a leave of absence based on medical grounds in best while I resolve the issues and return in September.

I will be contacting Student Finance on Monday once all my documentation etc is sorted to get their view on finance, but I'm hoping somebody on the forum will have some experience too so that I can approach SFE with some fore-knowledge.

Does anyone know if this is likely to effect my future finance? E.g. because I'm taking a year absence from the uni they will only be taking 25% tuition (I'm on the £3.4k tuition rate), I've already had the first set of money for maintainence loan/grant.

Also does anyone know how I am meant to finance the rest of this year? Although I won't be at university and therefore will require less money I do still have expenses, yet because of my current medical conditions I am definitely considered unfit for work. From what I understand a leave of absence means I will still be considered a student therefore exempt from council tax and the other benefits of being a student but at the same time being a student also makes me unlikely to qualify for ESA or even JSA?
Reply 1
Original post by Acei
Hi,

Currently I'm studying in my second year of university. Unfortunately since returning to university I have been suffering from severe medical problems which has resulted in a considerable period of absence. The university has been very supportive but in the end attendance is essential so the university and I have agreed that a leave of absence based on medical grounds in best while I resolve the issues and return in September.

I will be contacting Student Finance on Monday once all my documentation etc is sorted to get their view on finance, but I'm hoping somebody on the forum will have some experience too so that I can approach SFE with some fore-knowledge.

Does anyone know if this is likely to effect my future finance? E.g. because I'm taking a year absence from the uni they will only be taking 25% tuition (I'm on the £3.4k tuition rate), I've already had the first set of money for maintainence loan/grant.

Also does anyone know how I am meant to finance the rest of this year? Although I won't be at university and therefore will require less money I do still have expenses, yet because of my current medical conditions I am definitely considered unfit for work. From what I understand a leave of absence means I will still be considered a student therefore exempt from council tax and the other benefits of being a student but at the same time being a student also makes me unlikely to qualify for ESA or even JSA?

Hi,

Your future entitlement shouldn't be affected. I believe you will keep the finance you have been paid for this year, and any loan amount will added to what you owe. You shouldn't find your future entitlement reduced as everyone is entitled an additional year's funding (a "false start") and funding can be extended even further if the student has mitigating circumstances such as illness - this is called Compelling Personal Reasons by SFE.

You should be able to claim ESA/JSA. I was allowed to claim JSA when I withdrew. This was a few years ago now but I don't think the rules have changed. There were some confusion when I had my initial interview as normally you aren't allowed to claim if you are expected to start/return at a later date (e.g. a student who has finished their A-levels and is on a gap year, but has a deferred place to study at a university from next September onwards may not claim). However, exceptions can be made and these include people who have temporarily withdrawn due to medical reasons. The jobcentre may ask for a letter from your university though.

If you're living in rented accomodation, including various types of student accomodation, then you may also be able to claim Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance through your Local Authority. If you are on income based JSA or ESA you will receive the maximum amount of Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance should you be entitled.

Quick Reply

Latest