The Student Room Group

Marks and Spencer Sick Leave?

Hi, does anyone work at M&S -

I've been there two months and just had 2 days off with the flu and I read somewhere that 3 days is more serious ?

Has anyone else taken 3 days before without triggering some sort of absence/disciplinary meeting?

(I plan to go back on the 4th day but my manager seemed to suggest that 3 days is more serious than 2?)
Thanks!
What is Marks and Spencer sickness absence policy?
The Marks & Spencer Sickness Absence Scheme is based on periods of absence becoming building blocks to disciplinary action. Absences of eight shifts in 26 weeks triggers the first disciplinary; absences of six further shifts will trigger the second disciplinary.
https://www.usdaw.org.uk ...PDF
Sickness Absence Policies - Usdaw
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Littleemma98
What is Marks and Spencer sickness absence policy?
The Marks & Spencer Sickness Absence Scheme is based on periods of absence becoming building blocks to disciplinary action. Absences of eight shifts in 26 weeks triggers the first disciplinary; absences of six further shifts will trigger the second disciplinary.
https://www.usdaw.org.uk ...PDF
Sickness Absence Policies - Usdaw

thank you that's helpful, I have read their policy but I was just confused after my manager got very serious about me having three days despite being very ill
Original post by jenny23_1
thank you that's helpful, I have read their policy but I was just confused after my manager got very serious about me having three days despite being very ill

No worries ☺️☺️

I don't work with Marks and Spencer as I work part-time with boots and there sickness policy is roughly similar.

I feel that certain managers will do there best to frighten there staff by telling them different things from what the actual policy's are to try and scare them in not taking sickness leave so that there staffing levels numbers are impressive for when head office looks at the figures and then give the management a pat on the back for the good work.

As long as you have read what Marks and Spencer policy is on sickness leave then you will be fine as long as you are within the targets of the attendance levels therefore I wouldn't worry about what your manager trys to say.
I have worked at M&S for ten years. The absence policy allows for 8 periods of absence in a 26 week rolling period. A period of absence is the time you have off without returning to work, so if you took two days off, went back for one day then took another two days off that would be two periods of absence whereas if you took the whole five days off that would only be one.

You are expected to call every day of your period of absence. If you are off for more than 7 days you will require an unfit to work note from a Doctor and will have an agreed level to of contact with your manager but are not expected to call every day. Long term sickness absence does not count towards a trigger and neither does absence due to a known long term health condition (this means known by the business, not just known by you).

If you do trigger you will be invited to meeting with your line manager to discuss your unacceptable level of absence, for this you may receive a warning, this does not mean that they believed your illness was not genuine. The warning will stay on your record for 12 months and your absence allowance will reduce to six periods of absence in a 26 week rolling period while your warning is live.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
the M&S trigger policy on sickness is now either 3% of your contracted shifts in a 26 week period, or 3 periods of absence in a 26 period. does anyone know when they choose to use % over periods of absence? for instance someone on a 8 hour contract, is far more likely to be impacted than someone on a 12 hour contract. 2 absences on an 8 hour contracted is over 3% in 26 weeks and would hit a trigger, but 2 absences in a 12 hour contract is less than 3% in 26 weeks.
Reply 6
Original post by jenny23_1
Hi, does anyone work at M&S -

I've been there two months and just had 2 days off with the flu and I read somewhere that 3 days is more serious ?

Has anyone else taken 3 days before without triggering some sort of absence/disciplinary meeting?

(I plan to go back on the 4th day but my manager seemed to suggest that 3 days is more serious than 2?)
Thanks!

i got fired for having more then 3 days off in a year. they’re very strict
Reply 7
Original post by iris.tuvey
i got fired for having more then 3 days off in a year. they’re very strict

do you think this applies for overtime? say I've been put down for it but I'm sick and can't go in, does that go against their policy and does that count as like your "contracted" hours
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by maesomnia
do you think this applies for overtime? say I've been put down for it but I'm sick and can't go in, does that go against their policy and does that count as like your "contracted" hours

Overtime is optional so don't think they can do anything about that one.

Sickness is usually on contractual hours only but what they might do is stop you doing overtime for a certain period of time because of not turning out for your overtime you volunteered to do ( highly unlikely).
Unless they have in your contract that you must work compulsory overtime ( say every Saturday) then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending