The Student Room Group

University student finance

So I’m currently doing a course at my university which I started as a September 2023 intake. However, I really am not enjoying my course and no longer wish to carry on with it. I want to change to a January intake (a brand new course that starts in January) so I will be starting a completely new course from the beginning.

As I have my student finance for the September intake how would this work. Would I be able to transfer my finance to my new course as it is in the same academic year however I am aware that I would have to cover the first payment self funded from the payment made to the other course.
I spoke to SFE directly and they told me I’d have to cover the first £2,200 myself and the remaining two payments would be still covered for my new course in January.

Would the previous course count as one of my funded years even though it is in the same academic years (for example with my new course I would have used a total of 2 years funding)? When I contacted the SFE the advisor said it would still count as one year as it is still in the same academic year but just a different intake?
(So would I still have my “gift year”)?

Any help especially on the funded year section would be appreciated.
(edited 5 months ago)
Hi HJ2394,

You would have to withdraw from your current, September intake, course. You would then need to make a new application for the course that starts in January. This would be considered a "multi academic year" so would count as two years of study in total. This would ensure that you have full funding for your new course.

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 2
Original post by Calum SLC
Hi HJ2394,

You would have to withdraw from your current, September intake, course. You would then need to make a new application for the course that starts in January. This would be considered a "multi academic year" so would count as two years of study in total. This would ensure that you have full funding for your new course.

Thanks,
Calum

Thanks for the reply. I phoned SFE earlier today and they told me that I’d be able to complete “Change of circumstances form” and then the finance I currently have for the current course would be transferred to my new course but I would just have to cover the initial payments and then the remaining two payments from my current finance application would go to my new course?
Original post by HJ2394
Thanks for the reply. I phoned SFE earlier today and they told me that I’d be able to complete “Change of circumstances form” and then the finance I currently have for the current course would be transferred to my new course but I would just have to cover the initial payments and then the remaining two payments from my current finance application would go to my new course?

Hi HJ2394,

Can you confirm for me if you have had payments on the September start course?

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 4
Hi HJ2394,

Can you confirm for me if you have had payments on the September start course?

Thanks,
Calum

Hi, yes i have had one payment for the tuition loan and one for the maintenance loan which is why they said if I transferred the finance then I would have to self fund the initial fee
Hi HJ2394,

In that case my initial advice would be correct. You can't transfer courses with a Co1 once payments have been made. You will need to make a new application for your new course.

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 6
Hi HJ2394,

In that case my initial advice would be correct. You can't transfer courses with a Co1 once payments have been made. You will need to make a new application for your new course.

Thanks,
Calum

Firstly, so I have only used my gift year correct as I have no previous years ? And secondly how do I apply my now through the 2023/ 2024 route? And what happens with my current student finance ? I was told by my university that with my current application of finance if I was to apply again for jan that SFE would block my application?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by HJ2394
Firstly, so I have only used my gift year correct as I have no previous years ? And secondly how do I apply my now through the 2023/ 2024 route? And what happens with my current student finance ? I was told by my university that with my current application of finance if I was to apply again for jan that SFE would block my application?

Hi HJ2394,

Yes, you will have used your gift year with your September application as this will be counted as a separate year of study to your new course. You should be able to apply through your online account - your new application will not be blocked as long as your university have informed us of your withdrawal.

All you need to do is make sure that your university informs us that you are withdrawing from your current course. This will block future payments but we do need this before you can have any other funding in place. Once this is processed you will be able to make a new application through your online account.

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 8
Hi HJ2394,

Yes, you will have used your gift year with your September application as this will be counted as a separate year of study to your new course. You should be able to apply through your online account - your new application will not be blocked as long as your university have informed us of your withdrawal.

All you need to do is make sure that your university informs us that you are withdrawing from your current course. This will block future payments but we do need this before you can have any other funding in place. Once this is processed you will be able to make a new application through your online account.

Thanks,
Calum

To do this, do I need to fully leave the university all together? Or if I just do a leave of absence and withdraw from that course whilst still being at the university do that still count or like I fully have to just leave the uni all together?
Also, how do I go about repaying that previous loan with just the first set of payments? Does the threshold of earning over a set amount still apply or do I have to pay back straight away?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by HJ2394
To do this, do I need to fully leave the university all together? Or if I just do a leave of absence and withdraw from that course whilst still being at the university do that still count or like I fully have to just leave the uni all together?
Also, how do I go about repaying that previous loan with just the first set of payments? Does the threshold of earning over a set amount still apply or do I have to pay back straight away?

Hi HJ2394,

Yes, you will need to leave the university. You will be unable to make a new application if you are only classed as suspended.

In regards to repaying your loan there will be an income threshold before any student loan deductions are taken from your payslips, you will need to contact our Repayments department for more information on this. Their number is 0300 100 0611 and they are open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

There may be a maintenance loan overpayment calculated as a result of your withdrawal which will usually be deducted from future funding.

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 10
Hi HJ2394,

Yes, you will need to leave the university. You will be unable to make a new application if you are only classed as suspended.

In regards to repaying your loan there will be an income threshold before any student loan deductions are taken from your payslips, you will need to contact our Repayments department for more information on this. Their number is 0300 100 0611 and they are open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

There may be a maintenance loan overpayment calculated as a result of your withdrawal which will usually be deducted from future funding.

Thanks,
Calum

What about if I wait until the next academic year whilst still being at the university would it allow me to apply then?
Original post by HJ2394
What about if I wait until the next academic year whilst still being at the university would it allow me to apply then?

Hi HJ2394,

Yes, you can complete this academic year, then reapply as normal on your account while entering the new course information. The 24/25 applications will open in the spring/summer of 2024 and will be announced nearer the time.

https://logon.slc.co.uk/cas/login

Thanks, Clare
Reply 12
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi HJ2394,

Yes, you can complete this academic year, then reapply as normal on your account while entering the new course information. The 24/25 applications will open in the spring/summer of 2024 and will be announced nearer the time.

https://logon.slc.co.uk/cas/login

Thanks, Clare

As this is my first year of higher education would I still get the full 3 years funded but just not the “gift year”?
Also is the whole thing about potentially getting an extra year in regards to mental health if you have required proof?

So just just to clarify as I have only received one payment and I withdraw this course and start again next academic year will my student finance for this academic year be cancelled and I will only be liable for the 1st payments you made to the uni?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by HJ2394
As this is my first year of higher education would I still get the full 3 years funded but just not the “gift year”?
Also is the whole thing about potentially getting an extra year in regards to mental health if you have required proof?

So just just to clarify as I have only received one payment and I withdraw this course and start again next academic year will my student finance for this academic year be cancelled and I will only be liable for the 1st payments you made to the uni?

Hi there,

If September 23 was the first year you studied since leaving further education then you'd be funded all years but not the gift year. If you do need to use this at a later date you can apply by sending proof of why you previously were unable to complete your course. I've enclosed a link here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

This would be dependant on the university and the fees they require however, if they've advised it's just one term you're liable for then that would be correct. Thanks, Jason
Reply 14
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

If September 23 was the first year you studied since leaving further education then you'd be funded all years but not the gift year. If you do need to use this at a later date you can apply by sending proof of why you previously were unable to complete your course. I've enclosed a link here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

This would be dependant on the university and the fees they require however, if they've advised it's just one term you're liable for then that would be correct. Thanks, Jason

Thanks for the reply this is a lot clearer now if I left this academic year, having only revived first payment does the other two payments get cancelled? And then I just re apply for next September correct?
Original post by HJ2394
Thanks for the reply this is a lot clearer now if I left this academic year, having only revived first payment does the other two payments get cancelled? And then I just re apply for next September correct?

Hi HJ2394,

Yes, that's correct

Thanks,
Calum

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending