The Student Room Group

PGCE financing eligibility

Hey there, I'm considering going on to doing a PGCE and working toward QTS.

A couple of questions:

1. I have already used 4 years of finance, will I still be eligible for PGCE funding (it seems vague as to whether this is classed as part of your undergrad finance or not...)

Assuming the answer to the first question isn't a no -

2. I was considering teaching abroad (TEFL) for a year or two before PGCE. Would this leave me ineligible? The concept of "ordinarily resident" seems sort of vaguely defined. Of course the SFE website states that temporary absences are fine, and I'd be intending to return to the UK, but what "temporary" really means seems hard to pin down. I have otherwise always lived in the UK and did all of my studies up to and including degree level here.
Original post by tumbleweed782
Hey there, I'm considering going on to doing a PGCE and working toward QTS.
A couple of questions:
1. I have already used 4 years of finance, will I still be eligible for PGCE funding (it seems vague as to whether this is classed as part of your undergrad finance or not...)
Assuming the answer to the first question isn't a no -
2. I was considering teaching abroad (TEFL) for a year or two before PGCE. Would this leave me ineligible? The concept of "ordinarily resident" seems sort of vaguely defined. Of course the SFE website states that temporary absences are fine, and I'd be intending to return to the UK, but what "temporary" really means seems hard to pin down. I have otherwise always lived in the UK and did all of my studies up to and including degree level here.
Hi there,

For your first question, you would qualify for support for the PGCE if you do not already hold QTS and the course is less than 2 years in duration.

What nationality are you?

Thanks, Ross
Thanks for your swift response!

Thanks for clarifying on the first question, I would be eligible then it that case which is reassuring.

As for nationality, I'm a British citizen.
Thanks for your swift response!
Thanks for clarifying on the first question, I would be eligible then it that case which is reassuring.
As for nationality, I'm a British citizen.
HI,

When is your course starting?

Thanks,
Claire
Original post by Claire SFE
HI,
When is your course starting?
Thanks,
Claire
Well, as it stands it's sort of up in the air as I'm just considering my options in terms of what finance will allow me to do. I'd like to spend some time teaching abroad before I work on the PGCE here just for the life experience as well as to get a better feel for teaching. If it would make student finance hard to obtain here, I'll need to weigh my options and think about it more.

If I opted to go abroad I probably wouldn't be starting the PGCE until Sept. 2025 or 2026.
Well, as it stands it's sort of up in the air as I'm just considering my options in terms of what finance will allow me to do. I'd like to spend some time teaching abroad before I work on the PGCE here just for the life experience as well as to get a better feel for teaching. If it would make student finance hard to obtain here, I'll need to weigh my options and think about it more.
If I opted to go abroad I probably wouldn't be starting the PGCE until Sept. 2025 or 2026.
If you decide to study/work abroad before the PGCE you would need to provide evidence that it was just a temporary break. This would be like your contract for abroad confirming it was a temporary role with your start and end date, then as well your flight tickets.

Thanks, Ross

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending