The Student Room Group

Discrimination/Equality Act 2010 short question

Hi, would you please advise me on this pretty small issue?

A goes to a charity (C) and wants to volunteer, but they tell A they do not recruit homosexuals.

What law exactly does C break? Equality Act 2010 makes it clear when one discriminates against the other, but I can't find to whom the Act applies to - A doesn't have any contract with C so how can C be liable? How would you answer this question on an exam?

Any help is much appreciated.
Reply 1
anyone??
Reply 2
Original post by vahik92

A goes to a charity (C) and wants to volunteer, but they tell A they do not recruit homosexuals.

What law exactly does C break? Equality Act 2010 makes it clear when one discriminates against the other, but I can't find to whom the Act applies to - A doesn't have any contract with C so how can C be liable? How would you answer this question on an exam?

This is discrimiation and is against the law in England Wales and Scotland...

Have a look here http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/discrimination_w/discrimination_discrimination_because_of_sex_or_sexual_orientation_e/discrimination_because_of_sexual_orientation.htm#what_is_discrimination_because_of_sexuality

the Equalities act 2010 covers job applicants not just current employees. Basically a prospective employee can not create a rule not to employee someone on the grounds of their sexuality. Not sure how you would answer a quation on it but once you have the correct facts should be easy enough :smile:
Original post by vahik92

S.39 EA 2010.

x v Mid-Sussex CAB [2011]

Reading both of those should give you an idea of the answer. (Basically, you're half right and half wrong as far as I remember)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by gethsemane342
S.39 EA 2010.

Reading both of those should give you an idea of the answer. (Basically, you're half right and half wrong as far as I remember)

Oh, you mean the issue whether volunteers fall under the scope of the Act under X v Mid-Sussex?

The Court of Appeal hinted that volunteers do fall outside the scope, but surely this can't be right, is this a gap in the law of discrimination? (Unless the SC changes the CA's decision)
S.39 EA 2010.

Original post by vahik92
Oh, you mean the issue whether volunteers fall under the scope of the Act under X v Mid-Sussex?

The Court of Appeal hinted that volunteers do fall outside the scope, but surely this can't be right, is this a gap in the law of discrimination? (Unless the SC changes the CA's decision)

That case (X v Mid-Sussex CAB) was quite interesting. I watched all of it a couple of weeks ago on the Supreme Court channel on Sky TV as thought it might be worthwhile for Employment Law module. Not sure when the SC judgment hand-down is though.
Original post by vahik92

Well, put it this way:

Are they being paid? Nope. Are they employees? Nope.

Now we could consider the widest definition of worker which is the EU law version. Are they performing a service in return for remuneration? Nope, they're performing a service for nothing.

Not hard to see why a volunteer might fall outside the scope of chapter 5.
Well, put it this way:

Now we could consider the widest definition of worker which is the EU law version. Are they performing a service in return for remuneration? Nope, they're performing a service for nothing.

I think the argument was that the EU directive states:

1. Within the limits of the areas of competence conferred on the Community, this Directive shall apply to all persons, as regards both the public and private sectors, including public bodies, in relation to:

(a) conditions for access to employment, to self-employment or to occupation, including selection criteria and recruitment conditions, whatever the branch of activity and at all levels of the professional hierarchy, including promotion.

And that it's while a volunteer worker might not be 'employment', it's not so clear that a volunteer isn't in 'occupation', and the directive doesn't use 'worker' in 1(a) so that perhaps the UK implementation of it is wrong. Watching the case it seemed a fairly weak argument to me.
Original post by Forum User
I think the argument was that the EU directive states:

1. Within the limits of the areas of competence conferred on the Community, this Directive shall apply to all persons, as regards both the public and private sectors, including public bodies, in relation to:

(a) conditions for access to employment, to self-employment or to occupation, including selection criteria and recruitment conditions, whatever the branch of activity and at all levels of the professional hierarchy, including promotion.

And that it's while a volunteer worker might not be 'employment', it's not so clear that a volunteer isn't in 'occupation', and the directive doesn't use 'worker' in 1(a) so that perhaps the UK implementation of it is wrong. Watching the case it seemed a fairly weak argument to me.

We didn't actually go into that much detail of the case on our course. Maybe it was because it was at the end of the course, in the midst of an 123 page lecture handout (no, I am not joking. I threatened to knock someone out with it as a joke once. They took one look at the size of it and apologised) but it was more of a "for interest" point. Our equality law modules focused more on the functioning of direct and indirect discrimination as well as equality for pay :\ I haven't paid much attention since as I've been cramming for the LPC exams.

Yeah, I'm not convinced by that argument. I can see where it's coming from but being a volunteer isn't exactly an occupation. I volunteered for Girl Guiding for 10.5 years (I was technically eligible for a Guiding award but, weirdly enough, no one thought to put forward a 20 year old for services to Guiding :tongue:) but I can't say I ever considered it to be my occupation. For that matter, men can't volunteer for Girl Guiding and tbh, i don't have a problem with that.

It might depend on the intensity of the volunteering. I suppose I could think of some people in Girl Guiding, for example, who spend so much time and give so much to it that it could be considered an occupation in many ways. But those kinds of people are relatively rare. At any rate Ms X, IIRC, was just doing some stuff for the CAB - even if the SC decides in favour of the argument, i can't see her specifically winning the case.
Reply 9
Well, put it this way:

Well I don't think that you're necessarily right by saying the scope of a worker by definition of EU law is the widest. The Equality Act 2010 section 83 says:

"employment is a contract personally to do work."

That's wider than the scope of a worker, but then let's look at volunteers - surely they personally work and have a contract don't they? Yes, their consideration is not remuneration but something else e.g. work experience, but they still have a contract personally to do work right?
Original post by vahik92
Well I don't think that you're necessarily right by saying the scope of a worker by definition of EU law is the widest. The Equality Act 2010 section 83 says:

"employment is a contract personally to do work."

That's wider than the scope of a worker, but then let's look at volunteers - surely they personally work and have a contract don't they? Yes, their consideration is not remuneration but something else e.g. work experience, but they still have a contract personally to do work right?

No, that's the same as the scope of a worker, if not narrower. A contract of employment here would imply I performed some form of service in return for some form of remuneration.

Not necessarily. Going back to me and Girl Guiding, I never volunteered to get work experience. I volunteered because I absolutely loved helping out. So I was also a volunteer. I showed up, I did work, but I didn't get anything except enjoyment out of it (and occasionally cake. Also a pretty large collection of various easter and christmas crafts which I made. But I didn't volunteer for these things and would not have received them if I didn't make them myself). So how did I have a contract? I received no valuable consideration whatsoever or, rather, I was promised no valuable consideration and the things I did receive were not due to me volunteering.

I've done quite a few other volunteering stints and I was not given remuneration for any of them and I did not do them on the expectation of gaining work experience. That's pretty much the point of volunteering. In addition, there's no mutuality of obligations in vounteering.

Anyway, this isn't a decided point and the above is my personal opinion. You asked how the point could be debatable and I told you how it could be debatable, not that that was what the Supreme Court should decide, after I answered your original question on the law as it stands (or as my lecturer told us it stands at any rate :tongue:). Chill out and relax in the meantime. They'll make a decision eventually and we can go on with our lives in merry harmony :cool:

PS. And just to add, I dunno who negged you but it wasn't me. Last time I negged anyone was last year. Just thought I'd say it in case you thought I was somehow offended that you have an opinion and decided to express it :smile:
Reply 11
No, that's the same as the scope of a worker, if not narrower. A contract of employment here would imply I performed some form of service in return for some form of remuneration.

Not necessarily. Going back to me and Girl Guiding, I never volunteered to get work experience. I volunteered because I absolutely loved helping out. So I was also a volunteer. I showed up, I did work, but I didn't get anything except enjoyment out of it (and occasionally cake. Also a pretty large collection of various easter and christmas crafts which I made. But I didn't volunteer for these things and would not have received them if I didn't make them myself). So how did I have a contract? I received no valuable consideration whatsoever or, rather, I was promised no valuable consideration and the things I did receive were not due to me volunteering.

I've done quite a few other volunteering stints and I was not given remuneration for any of them and I did not do them on the expectation of gaining work experience. That's pretty much the point of volunteering. In addition, there's no mutuality of obligations in vounteering.

Anyway, this isn't a decided point and the above is my personal opinion. You asked how the point could be debatable and I told you how it could be debatable, not that that was what the Supreme Court should decide, after I answered your original question on the law as it stands (or as my lecturer told us it stands at any rate :tongue:). Chill out and relax in the meantime. They'll make a decision eventually and we can go on with our lives in merry harmony :cool:

PS. And just to add, I dunno who negged you but it wasn't me. Last time I negged anyone was last year. Just thought I'd say it in case you thought I was somehow offended that you have an opinion and decided to express it :smile:

lol, just so you know, the truth is someone on the TSR doesn't like me and keeps stalking to give negative feedback. I can send you literally dozens of my ordinary, reasonable, unoffensive posts that were given negative rep. Check this post out in a week, you'll see another neg rep.

But thanks for your comments, I see what you mean. Let's wait for the Law Lords to decide the faith of volunteers!

P.S. This has just reminded me, if Equality Act 2010 does not cover volunteers, then what other protection can they get against discrimination?
Reply 12
Original post by vahik92
lol, just so you know, the truth is someone on the TSR doesn't like me and keeps stalking to give negative feedback. I can send you literally dozens of my ordinary, reasonable, unoffensive posts that were given negative rep. Check this post out in a week, you'll see another neg rep.

But thanks for your comments, I see what you mean. Let's wait for the Law Lords to decide the faith of volunteers!

P.S. This has just reminded me, if Equality Act 2010 does not cover volunteers, then what other protection can they get against discrimination?

have a pos rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending