The Student Room Group

Grant 2023 A Level grading allowances in England similar to Wales/Scotland/NI

Please support this Change.Org petition regarding 2023 A level grade boundaries in England. Grade boundaries will be decided soon and there is not much time left . Please spread the word around regarding this petition.

https://chng.it/FP2BF84HK5

We want the Department for Education to work with Ofqual to ensure that students in England are graded after the 2023 A-Level exams with the same allowances provided to students in Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland in order to compensate for the disruption caused by Covid-19.

A-Level students who sat their exams in 2023 had gaps in learning for their chosen subjects as face-to-face classes were disrupted due to the lockdowns during their GCSE years. Many students also missed online classes due to Covid. Latest government data reveals how approximately a third of schools in England have not yet used catch-up funding that is aimed at helping pupils recover lost learning. This indicates that the attempt to bridge the gaps in learning have not yet reached everyone.
Ofqual confirmed that the 2023 grading approach includes allowances for the impact of disruption, so that a student who would have achieved a particular grade pre-pandemic is just as likely to in 2023. This implies that the number of students achieving various grades in England would be similar to 2019. However, this is different from the allowances provided to students in Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. Pupils who sat their A-level exams in England in 2023 face tougher grading than their peers in Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland.

In Wales, grades will continue to be awarded more generously than before the pandemic, midway between the 2019 and 2022 results. The Scottish Qualification Authority said that its grading would be sensitive due to the continuing impact of the pandemic. Scotland's exams body has said that changes to the way pupils were assessed during the pandemic will continue this year. Northern Ireland’s exam board has confirmed that the impact of Covid-19 will be taken into account in this year’s grading, expecting to be back to pre-pandemic standards only by Summer 2024.

This disparity across the UK between students in England and the rest of the UK is unfair. This would result in students in England missing their 2023 university offers at a higher rate when compared to students in the other devolved nations. It is important to note that, as home students, all are competing for the same university places in the UK.

This petition appeals to remove this unfairness and disparity for the students of England by giving them the same grading allowances in 2023 as students in the other devolved nations. This entails more generous grade boundaries, where grades should be awarded midway between the 2019 and 2022 results. Ultimately, this ensures that all students in the UK impacted by the pandemic have an equal chance to access higher education.'
Reply 1
I'm surprised England didn't think they should take the same measure.
Looks like this petition did not get much votes yet; May be A level students are enjoying their well deserved summer vacation not thinking about the results day.
Original post by student_dad_2005
Please support this Change.Org petition regarding 2023 A level grade boundaries in England. Grade boundaries will be decided soon and there is not much time left . Please spread the word around regarding this petition.

https://chng.it/FP2BF84HK5

We want the Department for Education to work with Ofqual to ensure that students in England are graded after the 2023 A-Level exams with the same allowances provided to students in Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland in order to compensate for the disruption caused by Covid-19.

A-Level students who sat their exams in 2023 had gaps in learning for their chosen subjects as face-to-face classes were disrupted due to the lockdowns during their GCSE years. Many students also missed online classes due to Covid. Latest government data reveals how approximately a third of schools in England have not yet used catch-up funding that is aimed at helping pupils recover lost learning. This indicates that the attempt to bridge the gaps in learning have not yet reached everyone.
Ofqual confirmed that the 2023 grading approach includes allowances for the impact of disruption, so that a student who would have achieved a particular grade pre-pandemic is just as likely to in 2023. This implies that the number of students achieving various grades in England would be similar to 2019. However, this is different from the allowances provided to students in Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. Pupils who sat their A-level exams in England in 2023 face tougher grading than their peers in Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland.

In Wales, grades will continue to be awarded more generously than before the pandemic, midway between the 2019 and 2022 results. The Scottish Qualification Authority said that its grading would be sensitive due to the continuing impact of the pandemic. Scotland's exams body has said that changes to the way pupils were assessed during the pandemic will continue this year. Northern Ireland’s exam board has confirmed that the impact of Covid-19 will be taken into account in this year’s grading, expecting to be back to pre-pandemic standards only by Summer 2024.

This disparity across the UK between students in England and the rest of the UK is unfair. This would result in students in England missing their 2023 university offers at a higher rate when compared to students in the other devolved nations. It is important to note that, as home students, all are competing for the same university places in the UK.

This petition appeals to remove this unfairness and disparity for the students of England by giving them the same grading allowances in 2023 as students in the other devolved nations. This entails more generous grade boundaries, where grades should be awarded midway between the 2019 and 2022 results. Ultimately, this ensures that all students in the UK impacted by the pandemic have an equal chance to access higher education.'

This petition deserved to be seen by everyone, and I don't think it was noticed by anyone. I am challenging OFQUAL as I believe that they are in breach of the 2010 Equality Act. I have approached both OFQUAL and the EHRC (The Equality and Human Rights Commission). The EHRC intervened in 2020 when OFQUAL made similar rash decisions in respect of A level grading, and Ofqual had to change all of the grades retrospectively. Please post this again if you can, with a more catchy title, highlighting that OFQUAL are guilty of race discrimination under the 2010 Equality Act against English students. I am astounded that this is not a massive petition, and only came across it by accident. I would also urge you to contact EHRC and raise a complaint against OFQUAL for race discrimination against English students, as I have done. And launch a complaint against OFQUAL directly.
Looks like this petition did not get much votes yet; May be A level students are enjoying their well deserved summer vacation not thinking about the results day.

For some reason this post didn't come up on my feed or my searches or anything! Both the Independent and Daily Telegraph highlighted the unfairness of it on results day, and then wrote nothing more about it as far as I can tell. It is astounding that this is so quiet, when absolutely everyone I have spoken to from countless teachers, to hundreds of pupils and their parents, are utterly outraged at the injustice and discrimination. Please try again to get your petition noticed. It is not too late to get the grades changed retrospectively, though of course English students lost out massively on their university places as a result of this discrimination. Grades should be awarded on equal merit, not based on nationality and geography! Having different grade boundaries based on where you live, makes a total mockery of the whole exam system!
We tried our best to publicise this post, but failed. My friends posted this on Mumsnet. TSR even made this a sticky post in the A-level forum (thank you, TSR). I believe the students were too busy enjoying the summer to take notice. My friend had written to Ofqual, a local MP. Nothing came out of it. They just used some standard response without addressing the issue (not surprising).

My kid lost the Oxbridge conditional offer on results day; the grade boundaries of the subject that resulted in losing the offer were even higher than 2019. We have accepted the result and have moved on.
We tried our best to publicise this post, but failed. My friends posted this on Mumsnet. TSR even made this a sticky post in the A-level forum (thank you, TSR). I believe the students were too busy enjoying the summer to take notice. My friend had written to Ofqual, a local MP. Nothing came out of it. They just used some standard response without addressing the issue (not surprising).

My kid lost the Oxbridge conditional offer on results day; the grade boundaries of the subject that resulted in losing the offer were even higher than 2019. We have accepted the result and have moved on.

OK. Well done for trying before the results came out. It passed me by. I had not fully appreciated the impact different boundaries would have on my daughter's results, as we thought she was guaranteed to get 3A*s no matter what the boundaries were. Results day and the ridiculous boundaries - maths 30 points higher than any year on record, was a complete shock, more so when we realised the massive difference in grade boundaries, which had previously been downplayed by the press. I had expected 1 or 2 two points difference, not 15 - 20 points difference in boundaries We have been fire fighting and recovering over the last few weeks but it has gradually infuriated me to the point of wanting to take the government to task over this. Grades should be awarded on merit, not on geography or nationality. I will still fight for this. I feel that this is a legitimate legal case with substantial repercussions both short term and long term, with material loss for all students affected.
Original post by cuddly kittens
OK. Well done for trying before the results came out. It passed me by. I had not fully appreciated the impact different boundaries would have on my daughter's results, as we thought she was guaranteed to get 3A*s no matter what the boundaries were. Results day and the ridiculous boundaries - maths 30 points higher than any year on record, was a complete shock, more so when we realised the massive difference in grade boundaries, which had previously been downplayed by the press. I had expected 1 or 2 two points difference, not 15 - 20 points difference in boundaries We have been fire fighting and recovering over the last few weeks but it has gradually infuriated me to the point of wanting to take the government to task over this. Grades should be awarded on merit, not on geography or nationality. I will still fight for this. I feel that this is a legitimate legal case with substantial repercussions both short term and long term, with material loss for all students affected.

At least I know whom I am not voting for in the next election! The education minister said students "shouldn't be disappointed" if their results were not what they had hoped for as no one would care in 10 years time (after being responsible for setting the strategy different from other devolved nations). Totally insulting comment considering how life paths and destinations changed based on the results.
At least I know whom I am not voting for in the next election! The education minister said students "shouldn't be disappointed" if their results were not what they had hoped for as no one would care in 10 years time (after being responsible for setting the strategy different from other devolved nations). Totally insulting comment considering how life paths and destinations changed based on the results.

I totally agree. It is pure discrimination, and English students' lives have been drastically changed irrevocably by losing out on university places to Welsh and NI students. Students who worked hard, and sacrificed their lives for 2 years to gain good grades, have been kicked in the teeth by the exam boards and the government with punitive grade boundaries far harsher than any previous year on record, with no regard to the disruption in their education at all, whereas Welsh and NI students were given leniency. All it has taught English students is that it doesn't pay to work hard - is that really what the government is aiming to instill in the future generations? They all compete for the same universities and jobs - they should all have had the same grade boundaries. There should be the same rule for all when it comes to exams. How insulting for NI and Welsh students too, to be told they are thicker than English students and need an easier grade boundary. No one will respect them going forward, and now that the truth is out, a cloud will hang over students from Wales and NI forever more.

Quick Reply

Latest