The Student Room Group

Diversity and inclusion questions in PhD funding application

I am applying for funding for a PhD in English literature. I hope to study the works of a British writer from the interwar period and his legacy.

As part of the application process, I need to "provide information on how the proposed research engages with issues relating to Equality, Diversity, Inclusion, and Sustainability", which should consider the following questions:

How will you ensure that your research is inclusive of, and sensitive towards, different voices, perspectives, and identity groups?

Are you aware of protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010 and how these relate to your research?

If working with participants or communities, will your samples be diverse and representative of different identity groups? If not, why?

Have you considered your social responsibility as a researcher and the communities that might be impacted by, or interested in, your research?

I understand why these questions would be relevant if, say, conducting a scientific study with participants. But I am struggling to work out how to answer these in relation to a thesis on literature. If anyone can offer any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by PlainsOfCement
I am applying for funding for a PhD in English literature. I hope to study the works of a British writer from the interwar period and his legacy.

As part of the application process, I need to "provide information on how the proposed research engages with issues relating to Equality, Diversity, Inclusion, and Sustainability", which should consider the following questions:

How will you ensure that your research is inclusive of, and sensitive towards, different voices, perspectives, and identity groups?

Are you aware of protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010 and how these relate to your research?

If working with participants or communities, will your samples be diverse and representative of different identity groups? If not, why?

Have you considered your social responsibility as a researcher and the communities that might be impacted by, or interested in, your research?

I understand why these questions would be relevant if, say, conducting a scientific study with participants. But I am struggling to work out how to answer these in relation to a thesis on literature. If anyone can offer any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

on bullet 1 - presumably you can find/it is known whether your author served in either the first or second world war, and something is known of their political views - which you need to assess as to how broadly they considered different voices? Did the author mix in liberal or conservative circles? Did they travel overseas and if so why?

On the protected characteristics - look them up, pick one or two that might credibly impinge, and propose to consider them in particular during your research.

Hopefully there is no sampling or external participation - but if there is, you should already know about the considerations.

On the 4th bullet - you will presumably go through some sort of ethical research policy, but you might want to comment if you are going to 'out' a beloved national treasure as a wife-beater!

It isn't 100% clear form your extract whether they are interested in the context of your research practice or the quality of your research question.
Thanks for your reply. The demographic depicted in the author's work is quite narrow - typically lower-middle class and working class men and women in interwar London. I don't think there are any people of colour in his works. So, I guess I should comment on this? I could go on to say that he doesn't explicitly depict LGBT people, people with disabilities, etc., but this is typical of the literature of the era.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending