The Student Room Group

What A-levels should I do for CompSci?

I'm thinking of doing:
Mathematics
Physics
Computing
Economics

Are these good choices? (I've picked Economics because I enjoy statistics and it seems interesting.. Also it will give me that financial option + its also a literary subject, so it will give me a break from all the Maths:wink:).

However, I've heard that Physics is rather difficult so should I pick Further Maths instead of Physics?
Original post by curiousg123
I'm thinking of doing:
Mathematics
Physics
Computing
Economics

Are these good choices? (I've picked Economics because I enjoy statistics and it seems interesting.. Also it will give me that financial option + its also a literary subject, so it will give me a break from all the Maths:wink:).

However, I've heard that Physics is rather difficult so should I pick Further Maths instead of Physics?

What youve picked is good. Im not doing A levels my self howeverfriends that are doing sixth form say that further maths is harder than physics. Theres only two in the whole consortium that are doing furhter maths. So yh its hard. I would stay with what youve got or change enconomics with further maths if youve got your heart set on computer science.
Reply 2
I'm thinking of doing:
Mathematics
Physics
Computing
Economics

I'd strongly recommend Further Maths, especially if you're aiming for Cambridge. Replace whatever you want, it doesn't matter much.
I'm thinking of doing:
Mathematics
Physics
Computing
Economics

This is an Oxford CS answer, but we're not too different from other top Unis for CompSci, so hopefully it's useful to you.

Computing is a very mathematical subject, especially the way we teach it here at Oxford. So Maths is essential, and we think that Further Maths is the best preparation for our courses. The vast majority of our successful A Level-taking candidates are doing Further Maths. But we do understand some schools don't offer it so it's not a requirement. But if you'd chosen not to take it we'd be curious as to know why.

We also suggest a science such as Physics. We are looking for students with a genuine interest in the field. A Level Computing is one way of helping to show this, and can be used towards our standard conditional offer (see below). But there are other ways of demonstrating this interest. Our courses start from first principles, so it's not required, but we do have quite a few candidates who come to us having taken it. Economics is fine as a third/fourth subject alongside more mathematical ones. Again, it's quite common for us to see candidates with economics.

Our standard conditional offer for our straight Computer Science degree is A*AA with at least an A in Maths. The A* has to be in either Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing. We would notice if you'd done additional A Levels, but they wouldn't for part of any offer.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending