The Student Room Group

Cambridge maths Vs CS .

No CS knowledge /activities ..but want to apply cs in trinity

I don't have any knowledge on CS and subjects learned ..I am very strong in maths and physics . I got an S grade in STEP 2 & 3 which I wrote this year itself ( 1 year before ) .I will get A * further maths .
I am from the Indian State board .
I got gold medal international physics and maths Olympiad ( National topper ).

One of my seniors told me that I can't get CS as I have zero activities in CS ..zero knowledge in CS . So I can't get a CS interview..even I get an interview - I couldn't answer any answers related to CS.
I can easily crack Trinity CSAT paper

Can I apply maths and shift to CS ?
Or Direct CS ?

Further , I am a very high level introvert .is there any disadvantage in interviews and they misunderstood my character and social skills ?
Original post by Satish123

I don't have any knowledge on CS and subjects learned ..I am very strong in maths and physics . I got an S grade in STEP 2 & 3 which I wrote this year itself ( 1 year before ) .I will get A * further maths .

One of my seniors told me that I can't get CS as I have zero activities in CS ..zero knowledge in CS . So I can't get a CS interview..even I get an interview - I couldn't answer any answers related to CS.

Or Direct CS ?

Further , I am a very high level introvert .is there any disadvantage in interviews and they misunderstood my character and social skills ?

Please connect once . I don't know anybody

Dont give out personal information like your phone number…
You need to show evidence of your passion and dedication for computer science - what articles have you read that interested you,
How did you decide you wanted to do computer science?

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/computer-science
Subject requirements
No prior knowledge of programming is required.

No programming is required, so show evidence of your passion for computer science - ultimately, that is what the interview is about. If you cannot convince your friend for your passion in computer science, you would fail the interview.

look at this ‘For 2017, 2018 and 2019 entry, the majority of entrants from an A Level background achieved at least grades A*A*A* (81% of entrants). All took Mathematics, 96% took Further Mathematics, 85% took Physics and 59% took Computing.’
only 59% had studied computer science, most studied maths, further maths and physics… you will be fine having not studied computer science at school but:
do super curricular activities related to computer science
Reply 2

Or Direct CS ?

If you want to apply for CS directly, you are perfectly free to do that. You have the Maths background which is the most important thing.

Just to note:
if you want to get into Cambridge to study ANY subject, you have to convince the interviewers / Admissions team that you are passionate about that subject and would benefit from the Cambridge system of tuition. So do your research:
why do you want to study CompSci?
what is it about the Cambridge course that appeals to you (as distinct from other universities' CS degrees)?
what areas of CS interest you particularly? Note that no two CS degrees are equal, so make sure that the course you are applying to delivers the sort of content that you want to study.

Being a "high level introvert" is not necessarily a problem - this could be used as a description of a fair number of Cambridge students, especially in Maths and CompSci :biggrin: But do be aware that Cambridge uses a Supervision system as part of its teaching and you will be expected to take part in this and interact with your Supervisor as part of the learning process - hopefully if you get an interview then the interviewer(s) will attempt to ensure that you are a "good fit" for Cambridge's tuition system.

The only thing that might be of a concern is that when I read your post it really isn't very clear WHY you want to study CompSci, and WHY you have chosen the Cambridge CompSci course to focus on. That's something that an interviewer will be looking for, and the answer should not be "Because Cambridge is a big famous university and I've heard about it" :smile:

Or Direct CS ?

Any tips for step , I’m going to sit it next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending