The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Assassin
Okay, I've seen threads for OCR/AQA but not Edexcel. Looked around a bit and there isn't one for this exam.

Anyone else doing Unit 1 in Jan? :smile:

Yep how's the revision going? Are you doing normal or SNAB?
Reply 2
Original post by LethalBeans
Yep how's the revision going? Are you doing normal or SNAB?

Didn't know there still was SNAB - I'm doing the regular one I guess. (Lifestyle, transport, genes and health).

Revisions going alright haha - how about you?
Hardly any biology on the paper, and if there is, it is application of knowledge.
The way they ask the questions is so strange, it is hard to identify whats being asked for.

Averaging about 68 on papers, done about 2 so far though.

Teacher hasnt even finished the syllabus, urgh
Didn't know there still was SNAB - I'm doing the regular one I guess. (Lifestyle, transport, genes and health).

Revisions going alright haha - how about you?

Cool, I do the regular syllabus too. I'm attempting to use the CGP revision guide for success.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
Original post by LethalBeans
Cool, I do the regular syllabus too. I'm attempting to use the CGP revision guide for success.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Same here. It's really useful because of how concise it is.
Same here. It's really useful because of how concise it is.

I don't particularly like the CGP book. There's not enough detail if I'm honest.

addicted to this yeaaaa buddy
but don't click this don't
Reply 7
Original post by mynameisntbobk
I don't particularly like the CGP book. There's not enough detail if I'm honest.

I know what ya mean. But I don't really like the official book because it can be too convoluted sometimes. I find the best way to do it is just go over class notes, go through the CGP book, then proceed to do past papers. Anything from the past papers you didn't understand well, perhaps then is the time to go to the official book because that will give you all the knowledge you need.

I also find revising mark schemes very good too.
Reply 8
Reply 9

Oo I've got some of these but not all. Thanks a lot!
I know what ya mean. But I don't really like the official book because it can be too convoluted sometimes. I find the best way to do it is just go over class notes, go through the CGP book, then proceed to do past papers. Anything from the past papers you didn't understand well, perhaps then is the time to go to the official book because that will give you all the knowledge you need.

I also find revising mark schemes very good too.

Yeah, I do agree with that tbh. The textbook is too clustered, I don't use that to be honest. The best thing is to go over notes, cgp revision guide it, and then proceed with questions like you said.

Have you done any past papers/mocks yet?

Reply 11
Oo I've got some of these but not all. Thanks a lot!

Ur welcome.. It helped me a lot with AS before. Hope it'll help others as well :biggrin:
Yeah, I do agree with that tbh. The textbook is too clustered, I don't use that to be honest. The best thing is to go over notes, cgp revision guide it, and then proceed with questions like you said.

Have you done any past papers/mocks yet?

Yeah I've done the Jan 10 paper. It was difficult because it had a lot of How Science Works questions and quite a few application of knowledge questions. But I did pretty well. Now I've gotta do all the rest, lol.

Yourself?
Yeah I've done the Jan 10 paper. It was difficult because it had a lot of How Science Works questions and quite a few application of knowledge questions. But I did pretty well. Now I've gotta do all the rest, lol.

Yourself?

Yeah, I had the June 2012 paper as a mock in sixth form. That paper is disgracefully hard if I'm honest, but nothing revision can't handle. I got an A in the biology mock though :biggrin:

What else do you do?

I'm doing the exam too (: regular syllabus, apparently SNAB doesn't exist anymore
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Charlottehall96
I'm doing the exam too (: regular syllabus, apparently SNAB doesn't exist anymore

I'm doing this too :smile: how are you finding bio? so far been averaging around 70-80 in mocks (jun 2008 snab - jan 2012). Need to find june 2012 -___-

You life saver. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! repping you twice for that LOL.
Yeah, I had the June 2012 paper as a mock in sixth form. That paper is disgracefully hard if I'm honest, but nothing revision can't handle. I got an A in the biology mock though :biggrin:

What else do you do?

I don't think I've done any other complete past papers - just certain questions, as well as the questions from the CGP book. I'll have a go at the June 2012! (And good work!)

Original post by CoolRunner
I'm doing this too :smile: how are you finding bio? so far been averaging around 70-80 in mocks (jun 2008 snab - jan 2012). Need to find june 2012 -___-

Here you go. :smile:
I don't think I've done any other complete past papers - just certain questions, as well as the questions from the CGP book. I'll have a go at the June 2012! (And good work!)

Here you go. :smile:

Love you dude! :biggrin: +1

Ah right, yeah, I think the difficulty of papers vary a lot throughout different series.
I haven't even bothered with the CGP questions tbh, but I should because I need to practice the longer answer questions.
Good luck :smile: I think I was over exaggerating before, but I'd say it is a hard paper.
And thanks :smile: I was literally on the boundaries for that A (like 58 marks, 56 needed for an A) so revision is now my best friend.

Latest

Trending

Trending