The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NilFBosh
Once again, how does the primary structure of an enzyme determine its function?

The primary structure is the sequence of amino acids.
The type of amino acids present determines the type of bonds whereas the position determines the specific active site of the enzyme. An enzyme contains small amino acids.
Original post by Rubyturner94
germ line therapy involves altering the alleles in the sex cell, so the offspring will be effected by the therapy. this can give rise to ethical issues because it can lead to choosing other charascteristics auch as gender, eye colour. whereas somatic therapy involves altering the cells in the body that are most effected by the disorder, and has no effects on sex cells. is this right? have i missed anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile

On the Question, following the markscheme, I think you would get 0 such as I did.

Points to mention:
1.Idea of germ line gene therapy affecting every cell in the body; - Here you might get the mark for mentioning altering of sex cells ...Idk
2.Germ line therapy can pass genes on to next generation/ eq;
3.Future generations unable to give consent;
4. May result in designer babies / can cause new mutations
Reply 582
i found some conflicting data between books e.g. Ann Fullick's textbook says that ionic interactions (in proteins) are strong whereas in CGP it clearly states that they are weak. And this is just an example (also at atherosclerosis, etc) Which one should i trust?
Reply 583
Another doubt

When two molecules are given and when they ask to draw the product, in the answer space, should we draw only the products or should we draw the full equation?
Reply 584
Another doubt

When two molecules are given and when they ask to draw the product, in the answer space, should we draw only the products or should we draw the full equation?

the full equation i guess as you have to show how water is formed from the two molecules in the condensation reaction
Reply 585
Anyone know where I can find the snab june 2012 unit 1 past paper?
Original post by vladipn
i found some conflicting data between books e.g. Ann Fullick's textbook says that ionic interactions (in proteins) are strong whereas in CGP it clearly states that they are weak. And this is just an example (also at atherosclerosis, etc) Which one should i trust?

The snab book doesn't really mention them being weak/strong so it should matter too much but I think

'weak Ionic bonds between Ionised r groups' is correct.
what is correlation and causation? i always thought they were the same like when a variable changes it will affect the other variable. can someone pls explain them to me? :s-smilie:
Original post by bubblegummer
what is correlation and causation? i always thought they were the same like when a variable changes it will affect the other variable. can someone pls explain them to me? :s-smilie:

A correlation is that a change in one variable is reflected in the change of another variable. A causation is when the change of one variable causes the change of another variable
Another doubt

pretty sure you don't have to. You have to draw the new products and draw water as H20 given off( and say water is given off)
Reply 590
exam_question_analysis_updated.xlsx
so we made this at school today to help predict what will be in our exam
Original post by bubblegummer

Correlation: A change in one variable is reflected by a change in another variable. Eg. Where there is an increase in smokers, an increase in lung cancer will be observed.

Causation: A change in one variable is caused by a change in another variable. Eg. An increase in exercise will cause an increase in heart rate.

Correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation. So whereas there is a link between smoking and lung cancer. You can't simply say smoking causes lung cancer because not everyone that smokes gets lung cancer as a result. However, if you exercise your heart rate will increase as a result.
Reply 592
so two quick things:
the atheroma is the cholesterol deposit that builds up BEFORE or AFTER it is hardened by fibrous tissue and Ca ions?

plant statins are the normal type of statins or sterols and stenols (CGP says they are sterols&stenols and i think i found it in a past paper as well, but in 2012 past paper if i'm not mistaken, they take it as normal statins (for risk faactors) )
(edited 11 years ago)
Does anybody know if I got this answer correct for one of the questions of the may 2012 paper?

There was a photo and the question was 'calculate the increase in the thickness of artery wall where the plaque is located.'

I checked the mark scheme and the original value was 0.8 cm where there was no plaque and the thickness of the wall where the plaque was, was 2.5 cm, which I got right. It then says for the third mark, 'correct calculation.' Were they too lazy to right the actual answer? :frown: IDK hahaha.

Anyway, I did this sum 2.5-0.8=1.7

(1.7/0.8) * 100 = 212.5% increase

Was 212.5% the right answer? I'd be very very grateful if someone could help me out :biggrin:

PS. GOOD LUCK GUYS! I'm gutted I only saw this thread a day before the exam. I have chemistry and maths exams in the next week aswell :frown: lol
How is the structure of the artery related to its function? For a 3 marker what would you include... I always forget these
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SarahLeanne
Does anybody know if I got this answer correct for one of the questions of the may 2012 paper?

There was a photo and the question was 'calculate the increase in the thickness of artery wall where the plaque is located.'

I checked the mark scheme and the original value was 0.8 cm where there was no plaque and the thickness of the wall where the plaque was, was 2.5 cm, which I got right. It then says for the third mark, 'correct calculation.' Were they too lazy to right the actual answer? :frown: IDK hahaha.

Anyway, I did this sum 2.5-0.8=1.7

(1.7/0.8) * 100 = 212.5% increase

Was 212.5% the right answer? I'd be very very grateful if someone could help me out :biggrin:

PS. GOOD LUCK GUYS! I'm gutted I only saw this thread a day before the exam. I have chemistry and maths exams in the next week aswell :frown: lol

I think it was 17cm. It doesnt tell you to calculate the percentage increase!
Original post by gimme those exams
I think it was 17cm. It doesnt tell you to calculate the percentage increase!

Ahhh! Thank you!! :smile: Do you think I would have gotten the mark anyway? Because I got 1.7 cm written down which was the answer. I'm so stupid! Making things a lot harder for myself! Hahaha ::rolleyes: xx
How is the structure of the artery related to its function? For a 3 marker what would you include... I always forget these

Narrow lumen - to keep blood under high pressure
Smooth muscle - Reduce friction, allows the artery to dilate and constrict
Elastic fibres - Allow recoil to prevent damage

I feel as if I'm forgetting something though.
Reply 598
Endothelial lining? For blood flow?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Smooth endothelium, less friction.

Thick muscle and elastic fibre
Elastic fibres, stretch and recoil, maintains high blood pressure. Also pushes blood along the artery if it recoils and stretches behind the blood.
Muscle, allows artery to constrict and dialate.

Narrow lumen, allows blood to travel under high pressure
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending