The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
I put that a healthy gene would need to be inserted into the sheeps DNA, it could be a dominant allele as it is a reccesive disease, by the use of a vector eg plasmid, bacteria or virus, by the use of a needle, this would incorprate into the shheps dna, it would have to be repeated as the cells would die.
Reply 781
What did you write for how the structure of trna is different from mrna?
Original post by R345
I put that a healthy gene would need to be inserted into the sheeps DNA, it could be a dominant allele as it is a reccesive disease, by the use of a vector eg plasmid, bacteria or virus, by the use of a needle, this would incorprate into the shheps dna, it would have to be repeated as the cells would die.

I'm actually quite annoyed about that one because I thought it was asking about how to conduct an experiment to investigate this! But I wrote about reliability and checking to see the changes in fluid in the brain :frown: the worse thing is I actually knew the whole process of gene therapy! I guess that was the main problem but how did you generally find the paper?
Original post by R345

I don't exactly remember but it was something about mRNA being shingle strand molecule
Reply 784
Original post by acer0951
I'm actually quite annoyed about that one because I thought it was asking about how to conduct an experiment to investigate this! But I wrote about reliability and checking to see the changes in fluid in the brain :frown: the worse thing is I actually knew the whole process of gene therapy! I guess that was the main problem but how did you generally find the paper?

I added a bit like that in the end as I really wasn't sure what they were asking I still don't know if I did the right thing. Generally, it was okay the questions were unusual but the heart stuff was quite simple it was pretty much the tRNA bit that was the worst for me, what about you?
Reply 785
Original post by acer0951
I don't exactly remember but it was something about mRNA being shingle strand molecule

I wrote tRNA has anticodons and mRNA has codons

and tRNA has a amino acid but mRNA doesnt
Reply 786
I got the solute question so wrong! for some reason I thought solutes diffuse by osmosis.. so I started talking about how solute p is diffused by osmosis from high concentration to low...etc :frown:
Reply 787
Original post by Tilly3475
I got the solute question so wrong! for some reason I thought solutes diffuse by osmosis.. so I started talking about how solute p is diffused by osmosis from high concentration to low...etc :frown:

you might still be able to get some marks though as long as you mentioned the concentration gradient and that it reached an equilibrium and that the other molecule ( solute R ) was too large
Reply 788
If you did this paper for the first time and are claiming it was easy just wait and watch..i did the june 2012 and thought it was easy only to miss an A by 2 marks..i got 91/120.
Reply 789
Original post by R345
you might still be able to get some marks though as long as you mentioned the concentration gradient and that it reached an equilibrium and that the other molecule ( solute R ) was too large

I ran out of time, I actually left that out to return to and I had 5 minutes left, I had already left out so many questions and I still had to finish the final gene therapy question so I was rushing :frown:
thanks and yeah I meantioned the equilibrium but not how solute R was too large
Reply 790
Original post by R345

I wrote that tRNA has a site where amino acid attaches while mRNA doesnt. Also that tRNA is seen to be "cloverleaf" shaped while mRNA is a single strand.

Original post by Ammaaar
Wait a sec....you're saying that If I get over 54 out of 80? Ill get an A? but thats just about 67%? Are you sure? I thought you needed to get over 85% to get an A?

It's not about the percentages. It depends on this certain curve, which changes for every exam, but the average raw mark to get a 96/120 varies at about 54/80. Edexcel mark converter can help you understand this a lot better.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Astrid_Bastrid
What did you guys put for the solute p and r question?
I said that it had diffused through the cell, as diffusion is from an are of high concentration to an area of low concentration until equilibrium is reached and then for the other solute it would required facilitated diffusion (which involves a channel protein) as it's too big to enter the cell by simply diffusion.

I have no idea if any of this makes sense D:
U can put

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can put osmosis because its a solute, solute contains water...
Original post by R345

To be honest yu can use either liposomes/ virus
lipose u wud right put normal allel in target cell then it form liposome dna complexre ans tne sheep would inhal them using a nebuliser..
Reply 793
Original post by YaminNugget

YAY
Original post by Tilly3475
YAY

Tbars what i put anway.. Because omosis requires solutes.. Plus the question wasnt clear wether it was gases/water
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Are you sure there were 6 marks. I'm almost certain it was 5. I don't remember writing ventricles.

We haven't learnt unit 2 yet.

I did a bit of both. I basically described how you'd carry it out, but I went into detail for that specific question, eg, inserting it into brain cell so injections won't be suitable.

And yeah, what did that say? I read it like why was the overall change in blood cholesterol level a risk factor and people are telling me it was what were the reasons for the overall change in blood cholesterol. What do you guys think?

I wrote that the vector (virus) can be injected into the spinal cord as that gives it direct and an easy route to the brain.

Because I remembered that in one of the past papers about gene therapy on rats, they injected the vector in the spinal cord to deliver it to the brain.
Original post by mynameisntbobk
And yeah, what did that say? I read it like why was the overall change in blood cholesterol level a risk factor and people are telling me it was what were the reasons for the overall change in blood cholesterol. What do you guys think?

I wrote about how people were more educated about the risks of CVD hence the further sharp decrease and I wrote that the health system improved.
Original post by Huntx
LOL..pls can you post the question paper asap atleast? u can do the unoffic mark scheme later?

I likely won't be able to obtain the paper until the teachers have it -- and the teachers won't have it until another 3 weeks or so.
Original post by Huntx
If you did this paper for the first time and are claiming it was easy just wait and watch..i did the june 2012 and thought it was easy only to miss an A by 2 marks..i got 91/120.

Saaaaaame here!
Original post by YaminNugget

Technically, its not osmosis. Solute just signifies it can be dissolved.
Original post by nukethemaly
I wrote that the vector (virus) can be injected into the spinal cord as that gives it direct and an easy route to the brain.

Because I remembered that in one of the past papers about gene therapy on rats, they injected the vector in the spinal cord to deliver it to the brain.

Ahh, that's a good answer, I should have done that :s-smilie:
Original post by nukethemaly
I wrote about how people were more educated about the risks of CVD hence the further sharp decrease and I wrote that the health system improved.

Ahh, so I read the question wrong?

Latest

Trending

Trending