The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoolRunner
Really good! getting better on the graph questions though :P

That's really awesome! Oh I'm improving on them too but I'm not fond of the enzyme practical at all :frown:
Original post by justanotherindigo
That's really awesome! Oh I'm improving on them too but I'm not fond of the enzyme practical at all :frown:

LOL, its just a case for memorisation thats all :rolleyes:
LOL, its just a case for memorisation thats all :rolleyes:

Haha, that's exactly what I'm doing; but I'd prefer that we get a question on the other practicals other than enzymes :smile:
Original post by justanotherindigo
Haha, that's exactly what I'm doing; but I'd prefer that we get a question on the other practicals other than enzymes :smile:

I'm guessing thats its either gonna be vitamin C, daphnia and Enzymes. This is because beetroot came up recently, so its not going to be that... (if it was... it would be a godsend!)

However, its probably gonna be the daphnia/enzyme one for an intellgent guess.
I'm guessing thats its either gonna be vitamin C, daphnia and Enzymes. This is because beetroot came up recently, so its not going to be that... (if it was... it would be a godsend!)

Do you think they will just ask for the procedure of the experiment (relating to the question of course), as opposed to asking some really obscure question requiring certain knowledge of the experiment?
Original post by The Assassin
Do you think they will just ask for the procedure of the experiment (relating to the question of course), as opposed to asking some really obscure question requiring certain knowledge of the experiment?

Well, They will definitely ask for the procedure (normally 5-6 marks), state the controlled variables/dependent questions like what do you observe and ways to improve the experiment. They won't ask you stuff that is obscure. I got this info off my bio teacher.

Oh I hope that it's Daphnia! :biggrin: I would be over the moon if it is!
Enzymes came recently too, Jan 2012 so I hope hope hope that it isn't that.
Has anyone put any thought into what they're issue report is going to be on?
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Has anyone put any thought into what they're issue report is going to be on?

Yeah. Mines on Cystic fibrosis.
(edited 11 years ago)
Yeah. Mines on Cystic fibrosis.

I wanted to do that, but we had to do that for our practice one, and now, we all have to choose another topic. I have no idea what other biological issues there are.
What's the issue report? :s-smilie: Is this the unit 3 coursework?
Original post by mynameisntbobk
I wanted to do that, but we had to do that for our practice one, and now, we all have to choose another topic. I have no idea what other biological issues there are.

You know you don't have to do what the school wants you to do. You might as well choose what you want and submit that.
Original post by The Assassin
What's the issue report? :s-smilie: Is this the unit 3 coursework?

Yes.
Oh right, I have to do mine on conservation of animals, lol.
^ LOL.
You know you don't have to do what the school wants you to do. You might as well choose what you want and submit that.

I know, but I don't really feel like the idea of doing cystic fibrosis, but I also don't want to put myself in a position where I'm struggling.

Ah alright. Well thanks for the advice, and well done one yours.
To be honest, I don't want to do cystic fibrosis, but I don't want to do anything as complicated as cancers as well. I just have no idea what else there is to do.
im really nervous about this exam :frown: what do you think is going to come up? :/
Reply 97
Hi guys! hope revision is going well. In Jan and June 2012, enzyme core prac came up, and in June 2011 it was the permeability of the beetroot membrane. I am really hoping the enzyme one does not come up, as the other 3 are relatively easy, especially in comparison to 6BIO2 core pracs.

Something that I have also learnt since last time sitting the exam, is the difference between EXPLAIN and DESCRIBE in graph questions.

For Describe:
1) State Trends, e.g. if X increases, Y decreases
2) If data is linear or not, if rate of in/decrease slows down or speeds up
3) numerical manipulation e.g. the difference between value for 4 hours, and 8 hours is 25[unit].
Generally I have found that most describe questions are 3 marks. If there are more, they probably want you to expand on the point.

For Explain:
1) Give a reason:undefined: for the trend.
2) Apply your Biology that you have learnt in the course, they are not going to ask you something not in the syllabus.
3) Use the data as evidence for your point, making necessary numerical calculations if you have to.
Generally, these questions are worth more marks, and require thinking outside the box, for e.g. in one exam paper, you are asked to explain why snake venom decreases clotting time, they tell you snake venom is an enzyme. Therefore you are required to apply all that you know about enzymes such as specific active site, substrate shape, biological catalysts, speeding up reactions etc.

There are also suggest questions, which I'm still trying to work out how to master. lol.

If anyone has any other helpful tips for how science works questions, be sure to post them up.
[QUOTE="3raindrops;40738721"]Hi guys! hope revision is going well. In Jan and June 2012, enzyme core prac came up, and in June 2011 it was the permeability of the beetroot membrane. I am really hoping the enzyme one does not come up, as the other 3 are relatively easy, especially in comparison to 6BIO2 core pracs.

Something that I have also learnt since last time sitting the exam, is the difference between EXPLAIN and DESCRIBE in graph questions.

For Describe:
1) State Trends, e.g. if X increases, Y decreases
2) If data is linear or not, if rate of in/decrease slows down or speeds up
3) numerical manipulation e.g. the difference between value for 4 hours, and 8 hours is 25[unit].
Generally I have found that most describe questions are 3 marks. If there are more, they probably want you to expand on the point.

For Explain:
1) Give a reason: :

There are also suggest questions, which I'm still trying to work out how to master. lol.

If anyone has any other helpful tips for how science works questions, be sure to post them up.

Thanks ... I am glad I found this thread before the exams :smile:

How are you revising?
Hey, so i guess all of you are taking Edexcel biology here right? I wanna know whether the topic regarding 'immobilised enzyme' are still in our AS syllabus? i'm confused cause i've seen this in our green pearson textbook but non of the question came out in the recent past year papers. please help!!

Latest

Trending

Trending