The Student Room Group
BPP University
BPP University

LawCabs GDL Application

Hey there,

So I'm a third year applying to your GDL programme and am a bit concerned about getting my personal statement section wrong - and I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions.

1) How much emphasis is put on the actual personal statement the applications process (versus say experience or academia)?

2) I'm always concerned about coming across as quite arrogant or self-righteous (even after several drafts of a statement) which I'm sure can grate on your admissions officers - do you have any tips for how to avoid this?

3) Are there are any key characteristics you look for when reading applications (say a realistic view/awareness of the actualities of the legal profession rather than an applicant who seemingly likes the idea of law)?

4) I'm sure you get hundreds of similar statements which may have similar
faux-pas - is there anything I should avoid?

5) Lastly is there anything which you find particularly impressive in successful statements that isn't commonly known/done (e.g. a focus on certain aspects of the statement such as skills or motivation)?

Sorry for the barrage of questions but I'm sure you understand that I want to get this right!

Thank you :smile:
Hi There,

Thanks for your questions. Here are answers to all 5. Hope they help.

1) The academic and practical experience are probably the key criteria in your application. The personal statement may make a difference in a situation where the academic/experience is slightly weaker.

2) It is just important to strike the right balance between "selling" yourself and coming across as arrogant.

3) You have pretty much answered your own question here. We would agree with what you said.

4) Obvious faux pas to avoid are spelling mistakes, any obvious cut and paste from other applications etc.

5) In terms of a particular incident, it is completely up to you to decide what should be included in the statement that is personal to yourself and that really adds value to your application.

I hope these answers have helped.

Cheers,

BPP
BPP University
BPP University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending