The Student Room Group

UCAS!!!!

I am applying for law at the University of Nottingham and my predicted grades are ABB but the university requires A*AA. Will they reject me?
Original post by bsg2088
I am applying for law at the University of Nottingham and my predicted grades are ABB but the university requires A*AA. Will they reject me?

Pick up the phone and ask them - they'll be there til 5pm
Reply 2
They have closed at 4:30
Original post by bsg2088
They have closed at 4:30

Oh well - you can ring them in the morning and get a reliable response instead of relying on guesses or hearsay from TSR :smile:
Original post by PQ
Oh well - you can ring them in the morning and get a reliable response instead of relying on guesses or hearsay from TSR :smile:

See I genuinely think the 'hearsay' on TSR in more reliable than speaking to the unis lol. On TSR we tell thinks straight about how our applications went and the likelihood of people like OP getting an offer, whereas the unis will just give ambiguous answers. They are never gonna tell OP outright not to apply and will give some generic answer like 'we review applications holistically'.

That is not to say OP should not apply. If you really want Notts then apply but know that it is most likely be a rejection.
I would also say to ask your teachers whether they will up your predicted grades, and if not, ask if there is anything you can do before January to get them upped.

Although if you do apply Notts for law, brace yourself incase of a criminology offer! Notts are known for offering law applicants criminology instead of outright rejecting them. (You see, this is something strangers on TSR can tell you that Notts unis won't!).

And I just wanted to add as a last note, if no one was to believe the 'hearsay' on TSR, then the platform you 'review' for would be finished!!
Original post by LawStudent456
See I genuinely think the 'hearsay' on TSR in more reliable than speaking to the unis lol. On TSR we tell thinks straight about how our applications went and the likelihood of people like OP getting an offer, whereas the unis will just give ambiguous answers. They are never gonna tell OP outright not to apply and will give some generic answer like 'we review applications holistically'.

That is not to say OP should not apply. If you really want Notts then apply but know that it is most likely be a rejection.
I would also say to ask your teachers whether they will up your predicted grades, and if not, ask if there is anything you can do before January to get them upped.

Although if you do apply Notts for law, brace yourself incase of a criminology offer! Notts are known for offering law applicants criminology instead of outright rejecting them. (You see, this is something strangers on TSR can tell you that Notts unis won't!).

And I just wanted to add as a last note, if no one was to believe the 'hearsay' on TSR, then the platform you 'review' for would be finished!!

I’ve told enquirers over the phone a number of times that their qualifications wouldn’t be suitable and that they need to study something else and apply later.
universities don’t encourage applications that will be automatically rejected - that’s creating extra work for themselves.

There’s plenty to advise on without getting into the minutiae of selection criteria for a specific course at a specific university in a specific application cycle.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by bsg2088

So this year just gone, Nottingham wanted AAA which it’s asked for, for a while. They did offer the odd contextual offer of AAB but if you didn’t have AAA and were a normal entrant you were rejected on results day. But they were people who were predicted AAA or above. They’ve increased their entry requirements to A*AA as they were inundated last year due to dropping the LNAT. As a result I suspect it’s highly likely you’ll be rejected with those predicted grades, or possibly offered Criminology if your GSCEs and rest of your application are good. But I think Criminology is AAA, although that might be more flexible.

Quite honestly, law is super competitive at most of the RG unis with the better reputation for law, so applying for courses 2-3 grades above your predicted (unless you’re contextual or have extenuating circs) isn’t wise. You need to maybe have one aspirational, 1+ mid and 2+ at or below your predicteds.

Maybe look to see if you are eligible for contextual but even then for A*AA courses it’s often dropped one grade below at AAA. Failing that, look at a different degree to law which isn’t so competitive. To be a solicitor now you don’t need a law degree or even the GDL (for some firms, top firms tend to want it still). You can do the SQE without having studied law, in practice I think many are finding that quite difficult but it is possible now. If you want to go the barrister route you still either need a law degree or GDL before further study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending