The Student Room Group

Feels like my life is over

Chose to do English over Law and feels like I’ve made the worst decision of my life. Haven’t started uni yet, already took one gap year so another is out of the question. Got into good universities but I feel like I’ll never get access to a well-paying and secure job (consulting and banking). Should I try and transfer immediately at Uni? My uni does the LNAT for Law so cannot transfer to law but maybe something else? Not sure how to deal with this.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Chose to do English over Law and feels like I’ve made the worst decision of my life. Haven’t started uni yet, already took one gap year so another is out of the question. Got into good universities but I feel like I’ll never get access to a well-paying and secure job (consulting and banking). Should I try and transfer immediately at Uni? My uni does the LNAT for Law so cannot transfer to law but maybe something else? Not sure how to deal with this.

Hi there

I am sorry to hear about your concerns. However, I think you are in a good position right now to make good decisions about University. 🙂

Choosing English over law may not be a bad choice. So before you take any decisions, I would recommend you compare the two courses, any alternatives that you have, and make an informed choice of how you would like to proceed. If you need, speaking to friends and family may help you meet a better decision.

I am not too sure about your application status? Is it possible to transfer Universities at this stage? If it is something you want, you can certainly look into it. I know that some Law Schools and Universities do not require a LNAT score. :smile:

Alternatively, taking English is still good. But if at the end of the degree, you would still like to pursue a career in law, you could always complete a GDL, which is a conversion course for non-law graduates. This will allow you to enter a career in the legal field.

I am not sure what type of law career you are looking for, but something like the SQE allows you to become a solicitor without a GDL qualification. You can find more information on this here: https://www.lawcareers.net/Explore/Features/21072023-GDL-and-SQE-whats-going-on-with-conversion-courses.

I hope this helps.
I understand that it can be overwhelming to decide on your future careers, but take your time to research and consider your options before making a decision. 🙂
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1

Why is a second gap year "out of the question"?

Consulting and banking might be well-paying jobs (at least once you have some experience), but they're not necessarily secure.

There's no guarantee that you'll be able to change course once you get to university -- a transfer will depend on there being places on the course you want to move to, and you meeting the entrance requirements for that course. It's quite possible that the only option to change course is to withdraw and re-apply through Ucas for the following academic year -- i.e take a gap year.

It's best not to start a course that you're not intending to complete.

You could always do an English degree, and do a Law conversion course afterwards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending