The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Craghyrax
I had a similar problem when I got rid of my dreadlocks :s-smilie:

As to the dress/skirt thing, I'm completely comfortable wearing such things, its just that they're so damn impractical, I rarely bother.

That's my main issue! I cannot move properly in a dress. I got so used to trousers that I feel 'naked' or uncomfortable in a dress or a skirt. I always pray to God that there is no wind.
Reply 1981
Personally I find skirts really comfortable. Dresses make me look frumpy though. I don't have the waist or hips for them.
Original post by evantej
Unless they have rhino legs most girls look hot in dresses and skirts to be honest.

What do you mean "rhino legs"? :hmmm:

Since starting weightlifting I have found it increasingly hard to find trousers that fit well. I only have about 2 pairs of jeans I can actually wear so i have a lot of casual dresses I can wear with leggings. I find that ridiculously comfy as long as you get really thick leggings you don't have to worry about flashing anyone!

Whilst we are on the subject of fashion, I need some help styling a dress for a wedding I'm going to on Saturday.

It's this dress, but in purple.

I'm planning on wearing it with a grey cropped cardigan (nicer than it sounds, looks like a jacket!) and wearing my spangliest necklace (silver) to liven up the top.

Really struggling with shoes and hair. Only have one pair of shoes that look OK-ish - some old patent leather mary janes with a small heel, but I wondered if you guys had any ideas? Cos I am thinking of going shopping tomorrow.

Also hair and makeup.

ALSO:We are flying to the UK on the MORNING OF THE WEDDING (not my idea). What do I do? Get ready at 5am? I don't know if it's possible to check in at the hotel before the wedding or if we'll make it in time for that...ARGH STRESS.
Reply 1983
I'm awful at shopping for clothes/shoes :redface:

Original post by IlexAquifolium
I suspect it was 'professional' rather than sexy (my work wardrobe being alarmingly close to Liz Lemon's), but yeah. The 'and what do you do?' went on for an embarassingly long time...

Either that or I just looked like a hooker, I'm not sure.

:awesome:

Come ooooon ESRC :poke: make your mind up already.

Edit: Ok, so it looks like I just tempted fate! I just got my official offer of departmental funding :eek4: :biggrin: I'm not sure whether that means I have been rejected by the ESRC but I now have 100% guaranteed funding! Holy **** this is getting real. Can't quite tell if I'm more excited or terrified :tongue:

:biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bluth.

Edit: Ok, so it looks like I just tempted fate! I just got my official offer of departmental funding :eek4: :biggrin: I'm not sure whether that means I have been rejected by the ESRC but I now have 100% guaranteed funding! Holy **** this is getting real. Can't quite tell if I'm more excited or terrified :tongue:

Doh, PRSOM :biggrin: well done!
Original post by Bluth.

Congratulations! That’s great news
:hi: Long time no speak GOGs! (I seem to have fallen off the TSR radar recently)

I did my first proper conference talk (as opposed to young researchers meeting) last week and it went well :woo: I still kinda can't believe it :h: - am feeling all rejuvenated and excited about postgrad life (which is kinda impressive given a month ago I was seriously depressed and considering jacking it all in)

Original post by a.n.o.n.
hello everyone :biggrin:

Could I pleeeaaaaase ask what are the expectations in the first year of a phd?

Besides attending training workshops, are we meant to:

- present at conferences?
- publish?
- engage in departmental seminars?

I would really appreciate if someone could give me a glimpse of what I am meant to do in the first 12 months of the research degree. It cannot be all about research right?

Cheers x

What's your subject area? I'm assuming social science-y so I'm useless, but if it's science I'll say something hehe!

Original post by Becca
What do you mean "rhino legs"? :hmmm:

Since starting weightlifting I have found it increasingly hard to find trousers that fit well. I only have about 2 pairs of jeans I can actually wear so i have a lot of casual dresses I can wear with leggings. I find that ridiculously comfy as long as you get really thick leggings you don't have to worry about flashing anyone!

I have forgotten the name of the shop right this second but housemate found a place that did a ridiculously wide range of jean cuts for ~ £60 including some that fit my stupid rower-legs. Might be worth a gander when you're over... I'll ask her to remind me what the name is!

Original post by Bluth.

PRSOM - and Congrats!
Original post by Bluth.

Fantastic news :biggrin:
Original post by Bluth.

PRSOM! Woohoooooooooooooooooooooo :woo: :crazy: :danceboy: :yeah: :cool:

Original post by Cirsium
:hi: Long time no speak GOGs! (I seem to have fallen off the TSR radar recently)

I did my first proper conference talk (as opposed to young researchers meeting) last week and it went well :woo: I still kinda can't believe it :h: - am feeling all rejuvenated and excited about postgrad life (which is kinda impressive given a month ago I was seriously depressed and considering jacking it all in)

Welcome back hun :jumphug:
Reply 1989
Original post by Bluth.

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy, great news! :jumphug:
Reply 1990
Original post by Bluth.

One more congrats + PRSOM!!

Original post by Cirsium

:hello: and yay!
Original post by Becca

Whilst we are on the subject of fashion, I need some help styling a dress for a wedding I'm going to on Saturday.

I'm planning on wearing it with a grey cropped cardigan (nicer than it sounds, looks like a jacket!) and wearing my spangliest necklace (silver) to liven up the top.

Really struggling with shoes and hair. Only have one pair of shoes that look OK-ish - some old patent leather mary janes with a small heel, but I wondered if you guys had any ideas? Cos I am thinking of going shopping tomorrow.
Not really sure what to say to this, as it seems you've made up your mind already :p: Surely shopping will sort out the shoe thing on its own?
Also hair and makeup.

ALSO:We are flying to the UK on the MORNING OF THE WEDDING (not my idea). What do I do? Get ready at 5am? I don't know if it's possible to check in at the hotel before the wedding or if we'll make it in time for that...ARGH STRESS.

I don't wear makeup, so can't help there. And I only ever wear my hair up or down, so that's fairly unhelpful too. For the travel thing, I would probably go wearing the outfit from the beginning. But I'm pretty sure if you call the hotel in question they would be able to arrange something for you. I know most of them have 'left luggage' areas you can pay a small amount to use even if you're not a guest.
Original post by Bluth.

Fantastic! And snap on the department funding :p:
Original post by Cirsium

That's great! But its a real shame you've never done one before now, because that is basically what conferences do for you. And I think PhDs do need that in order to inject some inspiration and motivation.
Original post by Bluth.

WOAAAAA! CONGRATULATIONS!

Imagine you get two sources of funding!!!!

She won't. What you're implying doesn't happen.
If she did, then it would still be the same amount (£13.5k p.a., or whatever the rate is), but simply part funded by both.
Original post by Craghyrax
She won't. What you're implying doesn't happen.
If she did, then it would still be the same amount (£13.5k p.a., or whatever the rate is), but simply part funded by both.

well, it's still good :smile:
Reply 1995

Besides attending training workshops, are we meant to:

- present at conferences?
- publish?
- engage in departmental seminars?

You really do worry too much.

A lot of the first year is spent finding your feet to be honest and I highly doubt you'll have anything to publish. Presenting wise, again unless it's a work in progress postgrad conference, again maybe only in the last third of the year will you have stuff to present at a decent level.

Seminar attendance is good and a good way of meeting people.

You'll have a research training and personal development requirement for each year and all of the above come under that (well mine certainly do!).

-------------------

Hmmm I've been invited to attend a conference and have had the expenses budget through. What's the etiquette on using said budget? Never had this before :colone:
Reply 1996
Original post by IlexAquifolium
Good! Hope that puts some wind in your sails.

It has :biggrin:

Original post by Little Jules
I've been looking for a decent, but not too expensive, pencil skirt. I think they're the way forward.

Hobbs, Benetton or LK Bennett sales are your friends :wink:
Reply 1997
WOAAAAA! CONGRATULATIONS!

DOUBLE THE MONEY!!! :banana:

I joke, unfortunately.

Once again, thanks guys! I will stop with the announcements now :tongue:
Original post by Bluth.

Congrats! :biggrin:

Original post by Cirsium

I have forgotten the name of the shop right this second but housemate found a place that did a ridiculously wide range of jean cuts for ~ £60 including some that fit my stupid rower-legs. Might be worth a gander when you're over... I'll ask her to remind me what the name is!

That would be great, thanks!

Craghyrax
x

Yeah I was just looking for any other ideas or suggestions I haven't thought of. I suck at doing hair. I have so much of it! :frown:
Reply 1999
Original post by Bluth.
DOUBLE THE MONEY!!! :banana:

I joke, unfortunately.

Once again, thanks guys! I will stop with the announcements now :tongue:

Mega congrats Bluth :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending