The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by llacerta
Funnily enough, I just heard back from them...

I've got an offer! Very surprised but ecstatic and relieved.

YAY, congrats! :five:
Reply 981
x

Woohooo :biggrin:

Original post by scarlet ibis
Oh that must have been horrible, poor pony and poor you. Is there a safer way to transport horses/ponies? Surely its not possible to avoid moving them entirely?

Original post by Ally Kat
I'm not sure they entirely knew what they were doing as they had only just bought the pony that morning and were taking it home. They said that they had tied it up... :mad: I'm just glad that there was a small truck behind the trailer which was blocking my view so fortunately I didn't see the pony jump (I was three cars behind).

Is there a safer way to transport horses/ponies apotoftea?

The only other main way is by lorry/horsebox (random example here: http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/classifieds/details.aspx?pu=BPmXvHOJFapxpHa6zlSgMw&cu=975&kw=Horse%20boxes&ca=&st=&at=2&ag=975*35295965*HHO:317354&pg=1&si=CAT*1**0&cr=10&sn=1&kwe=horse-boxes%20$d1418&ref=http%3a%2f%2fwww.horseandhound.co.uk%2fclassifieds%2fhorseboxes-and-trailers-for-sale.xhtml)

I hate trailers for lots of reasons and lorries have their own issues (have seen the damage done by a horse breaking lose and ending up upside down behind the driver...) but generally a lot safer and nicer. More room, better chance of balance, quieter etc :smile:

Ally Kat - they sound like chuffing idiots :mad: And probably got more money than sense so they'll be buying another one next week :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
That is so sad to hear. My (paternal) family have been breeding horses for generations, don't think I've ever heard anything so stupid!

Yay! Massive well done!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by The Lyceum
That is so sad to hear. My (paternal) family have been breeding horses for generations, don't think I've ever heard anything so stupid!

I couldn't believe it either, it makes me angry.

I really hope not apotoftea.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Ally Kat
I spent 45 minutes this morning sat on the A18 comforting a dying horse that had jumped out of its trailer. Poor thing :frown:

Oh how awful, for both you and the poor pony. I'm so sorry. Hope you're alright :jumphug: :console: :jumphug:

:awesome: :woo: :yay: :danceboy: :congrats: :banana: :party: :banana: :congrats: :danceboy: :yay: :woo: :awesome:
Reply 986
Those of you who teach undergrads- have any of you been recognised on TSR by your students? I've been posting here since my A-level days and I'm not sure I would want my future students knowing that much about me (not that there is anything remotely interesting).

Am I being paranoid?
Original post by Bluth.
Those of you who teach undergrads- have any of you been recognised on TSR by your students? I've been posting here since my A-level days and I'm not sure I would want my future students knowing that much about me (not that there is anything remotely interesting).

Am I being paranoid?

well...not yet, i suppose. i guess i haven't been amazingly discreet about my institution or subject, though it isn't in my profile. i'm not too bothered about it, and there are ways of keeping it more discreet, i'm sure.
I tried to do that multiple quote thing but unless I'm using it incorrectly, it doesn't seem to be working, haha.

But nevertheless, thanks Bluth, apotoftea, Ally Kat, and The_Lonely_Goatherd! :biggrin:

I think GoG should be changed to LoG considering how lovely everyone on here seems to be!
Original post by Bluth.

Am I being paranoid?

I worried about it a lot but TBH it's not happened yet. Anyway, it's not like I say much of interest here - all they'd find out is that when not teaching I spend a lot of time moaning and talking about cats and TV. Which they could just as easily find out over a pint, so no big deal really.
Obviously I don't teach anyone (yet?!?! :ninja: :eek: :dontknow: ) but Oxford applicants in the past used details in my sig to work out that I was in that year's 'Interviews at Oxford' booklet. They then posted a link, so EVERYONE applying to Oxford that year knew my full name AND what I looked like.

Then during the interview period, I got random PMs from people, going "ZOMG, I saw you down Little Clarendon Street, by G&D's!" which was somewhat amusing and somewhat creepy :p:

I tried to do that multiple quote thing but unless I'm using it incorrectly, it doesn't seem to be working, haha.

But nevertheless, thanks Bluth, apotoftea, Ally Kat, and The_Lonely_Goatherd! :biggrin:

I think GoG should be changed to LoG considering how lovely everyone on here seems to be!

You're very welcome! :biggrin: When do you hear about funding? Or is it a funded place you've got already? :biggrin:
Original post by apotoftea
x

I followed you on twitter today, wasn't sure if you'd realise it was me!

Any other GOGs on twitter?
Original post by Feefifofum

I'm on Twitter (ethno_shan), Facebook (as you know!) and LinkedIn. I barely use my Twitter though - just tend to retweet stuff :colondollar:
Tweets are protected, I don't have twitter, love the name though, wonderful Sinhalese conjuncts "royal lion". You guys. XD
Reply 994

congrats!!

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Obviously I don't teach anyone (yet?!?! :ninja: :eek: :dontknow: ) but Oxford applicants in the past used details in my sig to work out that I was in that year's 'Interviews at Oxford' booklet. They then posted a link, so EVERYONE applying to Oxford that year knew my full name AND what I looked like.

Then during the interview period, I got random PMs from people, going "ZOMG, I saw you down Little Clarendon Street, by G&D's!" which was somewhat amusing and somewhat creepy :p:

hah, tsr celebrity!

i don't think i post enough to be really recognisable by my students, but i suspect that of all of the people teaching their seminars this year my students might decide that i'm the most boring and least worthwhile searching in google or matching up in any other way.

the very uncreative ktr08 (but then it's the easiest way to be recognisably my name without actually being)
Congrats llacerta!

I'm @puzzledbyadream on twitter, tweets are protected atm but I do accept new followers (sounds like I'm the queen or something!)
Reply 996
I just got back from an impro musical (MUCH better than it sounds, the company are regular in the West End and get amazing reviews). However, the 'director' was new and didn't quite keep things under control. Pretty much every social taboo was broken by the end of the show :tongue: What made it weirder was that one of the actors looked just like one of my lecturers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 997

I had a fleeting moment of 'could that be...' then it went, sorry :redface: Just followed back :biggrin:

I'm clairehporter :smile:
Original post by Bluth.

Am I being paranoid?

Well I wouldn't know if I've been recognised, because I doubt anybody would tell me. I'm sure they'd just all prefer to stalk me and gossip among eachother! I'm much more concerned about my supervisors stalking me :wink: After all, this website is the location of my doctoral research!
I have to assume that it could easily happen. I just opt for being wary about what I say. As to the rest... well I don't really have a problem with acquaintances seeing what I write on TSR. If someone really, really hated me they could use things to make my life embarrassing. But I hope that's quite unlikely to happen. And such a person would surely find many ways of making my life unpleasant rather than just this.
I'm fairly certain everyone in my undergraduate college new who I was on here. But the above applies... if they felt like stalking while I moaned about essays and my college library's opening hours, they could be my guest!

The closest I had to TLG's experience came through facebook rather than TSR. I was part of the offer holder's facebook group before coming to Cambridge, and everybody knew who I was on arrival to the college because I (a) posted almost the most, and (b) had dreadlocks that were visible in my facebook profile pic. It was awkward because I had no idea who most of the people approaching me by name were, since they weren't easily recognised by their profile pics, or they hadn't posted much...
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending