The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by IlexAquifolium
By that characterisation I'm definitely old school - I think the finch report will be one of the worst things that could possibly happen to academia if it does come in unabated. It's an awful, awful model.

I meant more along the lines of 'internet? What's that?' type people :wink:

I have to say I need to read a lot more about to be make an informed decision. I could see both sides yesterday. Open access could work but comes with many problems. Keeping it as it is also has its problems.

Toughie. There's another announcement in a couple of weeks I think they said.
Bronze medal :biggrin:
Original post by Becca

:woo: :party: :yay: :awesome: :danceboy:
Reply 1183
Original post by Becca

:awesome: :woo:
Congrats Becca :smile: I'll try and read about the Finch report when I get a moment.
Welp, at best about a week before I know whether or not I'll be a student or not again.
Original post by The Lyceum
Welp, at best about a week before I know whether or not I'll be a student or not again.

Will you try and self-fund if you don't secure funding?
Original post by Craghyrax
Will you try and self-fund if you don't secure funding?

Nope, doing something commercial based. (Hopefully).
Reply 1188
can anyone please clarify how we find out if we have been shortlisted by our department for (research council) studentship?

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by itzme
can anyone please clarify how we find out if we have been shortlisted by our department for (research council) studentship?

Thank you! :smile:

They tell you?
Reply 1190
Original post by IlexAquifolium
They tell you?

I don't know, but a post on another thread made me think so. I thought people only found out in the summer if the research council chose to fund them or not?
Reply 1191
I am also thinking they may have given me an unconditional offer, despite not having finished my master, as a consolation for not having been chosen... getting paranoid!
(edited 11 years ago)
Nope, doing something commercial based. (Hopefully).

Ok but then you don't really find out if you'll be a student this month. You'll at best find out that you might be one.
Reply 1193
Original post by Craghyrax
Congrats Becca :smile: I'll try and read about the Finch report when I get a moment.

This is the actual report Craggy: http://www.researchinfonet.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Finch-Group-report-FINAL-VERSION.pdf

Then just google Finch Report and HEFCE :smile:

In other news - had an awesome supervision on Friday and I now have a complete outline, plan and chapter areas :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Good luck, phile. BTW I finally picked up Murray's book on Early Greece based on your recommendation and it was well worth it.
Reply 1195
Original post by Aeschylus
Got my results for last term's modules last week. Simultaneously have the highest and lowest marks in the year. Unfortunately the low mark was so low I've actually failed that module, so my degree will be capped as a pass :colonhash:. Just checked the essay and found out I actually submitted a draft of the version and saved it over my final copy :colonhash:. And now my hard drive with all my PDFs for my dissertation is no longer working :colonhash:.

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with the news, but best of luck to everyone waiting on hearing stuff!

How horrible! :frown: :console: Not sure if you want to just forget about it, but if you want to try to retrieve the files on the broken hard drive you might want to take it to a show in case it's just the reading mechanism that's failed.
Original post by apotoftea

In other news - had an awesome supervision on Friday and I now have a complete outline, plan and chapter areas :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Great to see a more upbeat post from you, Potty :biggrin:
Original post by Aeschylus
Good luck, phile. BTW I finally picked up Murray's book on Early Greece based on your recommendation and it was well worth it.

Thanks! Craghy, that includes funding etc in this case so yeah, pretty tight.

Glad you enjoyed the book, there's a reason its still on reading lists even though more modern ones keep coming out. I honestly think its still by far the best introduction in print.
Great workout :dumbells: Feels so nice to have finally gotten back into gymning regularly. Now if only I can get some momentum and routine with it...

Also I finally found a religious group that doesn't drive me mad. All in all I call today a win :awesome:

Thanks! Craghy, that includes funding etc in this case so yeah, pretty tight.

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 1199
Original post by apotoftea
Voluntary work for the spare time. I loved it so much I'm still doing it.

The debate was eeerrr interesting. Big issues over us and them and old school versus new school. The representatives from Wiley and Wellcome caused the most ruffled feathers. Wiley kept making the point about the half life of journal articles (am talking Arts and Social Sciences here) and it made for depressing listening. Wellcome already adopt the open access policy and are considering to take the action that anyone who publishes under Wellcome funding but doesn't agree to open access will lose 10% of final money!

What I got from it was that there are two issues that can be divided but also cross over. Firstly the issue of open access and secondly the changes to REF which will impose on who/where you publish.

Open access wise - Peter Mandler did a show of hands and the majority of the room were actually in favour. What isn't liked is the fact that work will be freely available and open to edits, to then be passed off as someone else's. Most people don't/won't mind articles being offered to be downloaded instantly (apparently the CUP rep said they already offer this...)

Also from an early career researcher's viewpoint (someone from History Lab Plus presented) - whilst open access is fine but not abused, the cost of it to the researcher is preventative. The researcher would have to stump up the £1500-£6000 to pay the publisher to allow your own journal to be free to download from the day it was officially published. Few people are going to be able to afford this!

Interesting latest read: http://www.hefce.ac.uk/media/hefce/content/news/news/2013/open_access_letter.pdf

REF changes - only certain publications will count as REF acceptable and I think they have to be UK based. Lyndal Roper made the point that a historian could publish in the American Historical Review (a leading history journal) but it wouldn't be counted under the new REF which is stupid. Also highlighted how monographs might not count either.

I have to say I did tune out by the end of - the amount of acronyms flying around, very little evidence being used and the old school being SO openly opposed was quite tiring! The twitter feed is worth a read.

That's the one :smile:

Sorry that I didn't reply to this earlier!

It's a shame that there doesn't seem to be a good gradual/incremental solution to this whole mess. It seems like there either has to be a massive upheaval or everything pretty much has to be left as it is...neither of which sound good to me.

I wonder whether it will be the 'new-but-adaptable' or the 'established-but-stuck in their ways' researchers who will be left most vulnerable.

Latest

Trending

Trending